PDA

View Full Version : August vs. Christmas

DawnluvsEeyore
07-05-2007, 03:25 PM
Question about the 'best' time to visit...Because of my profession (teacher), I have a limited window of time to visit Disney. Would you choose August's heat and crowds or Christmas week's huge crowds? I'd like to hear reasons for your decisions also. Thanks so much. I'm trying to get dh to fall in love with Disney and since he's a crowd hater, I don't want to overwhelm him.

NJRRK
07-05-2007, 03:44 PM
I'd do August, ae are, at least the parks are bearable crowd wise. You can always go back to the hotel to cool off.

grumpypima
07-05-2007, 04:07 PM
We visited during Christmas & July. I prefer Christmas time better because I love Christmas, it my favorite holiday. The parks are decorated beautifully, and so are the resorts. I love Epcot during Christmas because of the storytellers and Candlelight Processional. I love Downtown Disney because of the Festival of Seasons. In my opinion, the heat is not an issue during Christmas time (not say, it doesn’t get warm some days). But, because it is cool, fighting the crowds doesn’t seem like such a big deal. In fact, in my opinion, the crowds bring a certain level of excitement to the season. It’s great!!

July is okay, too. We visited July 2006 for my son’s fourth birthday. It was hot, but for some reason, I don’t remember it being miserable. I think I was just deliriously happy to be at Disney. Also, I know summer time is busy, but it didn’t seem that bad.:cloud9:

Hope this helped. Good luck with your husband

disneycouple2004
07-05-2007, 04:18 PM
CHRISTMAS TIME !!!..:cloud9:
Its the most wonderful time of the year...
And Disney knows how to bring it on big time !
:thumbsup:

ibelieveindisneymagic
07-05-2007, 04:45 PM
I'd vote for August! (at least depending when you're able to go in August!)

We've been the last two years at the end of August, right before school starts for us, and found the crowds to be light, heat was crazy, but we took advantage of air-conditioning, the pool, etc and wouldn't hesitate to go back at that time.

Either way, enjoy your trip! :mickey:

psychotekkie
07-06-2007, 11:30 PM
We are teachers as well. I think August is better because:

1. Less packing cause you know for sure it won't get chilly. ;)

2. Less crowds.

3. Free dining starting August 26th.

4. We are burnt out by Christmas and really need a break where we relax, not run around the parks.

5. My family and inlaws would FREAK if we left at Christmas. What about the pre-Christmas party for the 11 grandkids, the Christmas Eve dinner at my Aunt's, the Christmas dinner at my mom's, the Boxing Day dinner at the inlaws, the New Years Eve dinner, and the New Years Day dinner..... HOLY MOLY!!!! .... You know, maybe the parks WOULD be more relaxing! :mickey:

MsMin
07-07-2007, 10:02 AM
I love WDW in Dec. but go before Christmas. Last year we left on the 22nd when the crowd was picking up. It is difficult to prepare for Christmas and a trip.
I would suggest August. If you want him to get hooked then make sure you give him a reason to go back. ;) My sis is taking her new husband in Oct. and is spending 7 days. He hates crowds and vacations in general. I think a tease is best ---not to go too long so they don't get tired of it and long(pine) to go back-- like we do:blush:

faline
07-07-2007, 04:11 PM
If those are your only options, I'd suggest going as late into the month of August as possible. Crowds tend to diminish as the month goes along. You'll accomplish much more than you would during Christmas week.

DawnluvsEeyore
07-07-2007, 05:27 PM
Unfortunately the beginning of August or right before Christmas are our only options. My son works June and July at scout camp, so those months are out. I start back to work right before the 3rd weekend in Aug (this year on the 16th.)

We went last year in July and then 3 years ago in June. I would really prefer to go in June, but with my son's work schedule, it just wouldn't work out for us.

As far as family goes....we live 500+ miles away from family and have driven to our hometown 2 years in a row for Christmas. We're burnt out on that. LOL

So....after much thought....I think we'll go in August....at least that's my thought for now. :thumbsup: Now....where to stay. But that's a whole other folder. :D