PDA

View Full Version : Intercot Musicians

ImagiAsh
07-05-2007, 01:49 PM
I'm just curious to see how many people on these boards plays an instrument. I'm prompted to post this after I purchased my first drum set yesterday. :D (<--just slightly excited.)

So, in total, I play:
1)Guitar
2)Violin
3)Piano
4)Drums

TinkiTime1989
07-05-2007, 02:11 PM
I play the violin and a little bit of guitar. Music is my passion. Well, music and Disney. lol :cloud9:

Donald
07-05-2007, 02:36 PM
1)Bassoon
2)Flute
3)Marimba

Strmchsr
07-05-2007, 02:39 PM
Sax is my main axe, but I also play a little piano, mellophone (for drum corps purposes back in the day) and am learning guitar.

Bass T-bone
07-05-2007, 02:40 PM
1) Bass Trombone, hmm go figure...
2) Euphonium, yes go look it up...
3) Tuba

Jeremy
07-05-2007, 03:36 PM
i play the drums:thumbsup:

DisneyDog
07-05-2007, 03:42 PM
I play nothing, but DH is a drummer (we own 3 drum sets) and is quite well-known for his marching cymbal playing/teaching.

January-2007
07-05-2007, 03:57 PM
DH and I both play guitar. We own at least 5 or 6 different ones... DH also used to play bass guitar in a band, but we don't currently have one of those. We have several electric, my classical, and DH's accoustics. When we get a house we're buying a drum set. Both of us have played drums for fun and look forward to that. Can't have them in our apartment though... And we both sing. When I was a kid I could play the clarinet and recorder. We are a very musical family. Let's all go von Trap, shall we? Oh and DH is learning how to play the harmonica. So far he has two or three. He taught himself how to play the Davy Crocket themesong, I love it! He wants to get one of those mouth pieces so he can play harmonica and guitar at the same time.

CrazyStitch
07-05-2007, 04:45 PM
I played the baritone/euphonium back in the day. My son is learning to play the trombone.

Ian
07-07-2007, 12:08 PM
When I was younger (much, MUCH younger) I played the trumpet in our school band. Later in life I dabbled in guitar and piano.

Now I'm actually taking formal lessons and learning to play guitar.

Thus far, I stink. ;)

Diznee4Me
07-07-2007, 01:35 PM
Played all percussion in my younger days and still can play a mean steering wheel/dashboard. I am also trying to teach myself guitar and finding it quite frustrating if I must say so!:D

MScholl13
07-07-2007, 02:30 PM
From the sixth grade through senior year of high school I played flute and piccilo.

I pick my flute up from time to time and can still play things, but not as much as I should. :blush:

Tinkerbell627
07-07-2007, 02:46 PM
Does the kazoo count?

NotaGeek
07-07-2007, 03:13 PM
I have been involved in music my whole life. I took 9 years of piano and 13 years of classical voice. I paid my way through college singing for choirs in various churches as a hired soloist and I had scholorships to my University to perform in the concert choir. It's only since my adulthood that I became a schlub and don't sing anymore, but I have seriously been considering getting involved in music again -- my excuse is that I travel SO much I can't give 100% to a choir! :shake:

Stan
07-07-2007, 04:18 PM
I've been a piano (and sometimes organ) guy all my life- though never professionally. Around 1988-1992 I did a bunch of MIDI sequencing with keyboards to make background orchestrations for piano solos a la Floyd Cramer (my childhood hero) so I could do piano concerts at churches. Here's one of my efforts (http://www.FLmemories.com/B/BoyChild.wma) from my 1990 Christmas album (a "million seller"- I had a million in my cellar :blush:).

In recent years I've been too busy with photography and engineering and visiting WDW to have a lot of time for music. :(

Mickey91
07-07-2007, 06:15 PM
Though not well, I can play piano, clarinet, bass clarinet, alto sax and tenor sax. My DS is learning the violin, guitar, piano and hopefully sax this year. DD is starting on Piano and maybe clarinet.:mickey:

ryca1dreams
07-08-2007, 09:57 AM
I play electric and acoustic guitar, fretted and fretless bass. I also play a little keyboards, but mainly for background purposes. And I sing.

I used to do a lot of recording at home and play at Church, but haven't done much of either lately. I hope to take up mandolin and start playing and recording again soon.

J9
07-08-2007, 02:25 PM
1) Classical Voice Training (17-18 years)
2) Piano (8 years)
3) Clarinet (5 years)

I've pretty much dropped them all for the time being. I haven't had a voice lesson in about 6 years, but once I'm through with law school and have free time again, I'm planning on going back to it.

Stan
07-08-2007, 03:05 PM
once I'm through with law school and have free time again, I'm planning on going back to it

Hey, you could always sing your stuff in court. I have jury duty next week and I know I'd prefer a little levity where possible. :)

I can't quite figure how to fit clarinet or piano into court.

I haven't touched a clarinet since college (back in the Nixon administration :blush:) but occasionally I look at top line Selmers (Pete Fountain editions etc) on eBay and imagine just picking one up and being able to play anything I can hear in my brain. Of course it never really works that way. :(

kcrc
07-08-2007, 04:01 PM
I've been playing piccolo and flute for more years than I'd care to admit. I still play regularly in community bands in my area.:flute:

J9
07-08-2007, 05:20 PM
Hey, you could always sing your stuff in court. I have jury duty next week and I know I'd prefer a little levity where possible. :)

Hahaha, the funny thing is I actually turned my mock trial case last semester into a broadway style musical. I didn't actually SING anything on the final, but I had everything planned out as lyrics in my head to help me remember it all.

I get nervous in front of people, but never did for some reason when I was performing. So if I pretend I'm on stage singing, it's not so bad! HAHAHA! I think you read my mind!

Disney Babe
07-09-2007, 08:02 PM
Voice lessons - probably 4 to 5 years. I haven't done that in a long time and I would love to find a good teacher and start up again. I love learning and practicing new songs and attempting harder ones. I just looked into joining my church choir and the canter/director has fabulous technique so I'm looking forward to picking up some good tips.

I would really love to learn the banjo. It makes me happy whenever i hear banjo music and I'd like to be able to make it and share it.

When I was a kid I learned violin and piano but gave up when it got too hard. I could kick myself! I'd love to be able to play the piano. To have one in my home. To play Christmas Carols when I get together with family.

I have to add that something I learned from my voice lessons, which were mostly in a group class but singing solo. I feel very much a part of every musical performance I attend because it is just as important to be appreciative of the performers and to be a good audience member as it is to perform. I feel that when I watch a performance I am a very intregal part of it. It's about giving and receiving and then giving back applause in appreciation.

kaerbear178
07-11-2007, 11:47 AM
I play the sax and piano. I don't play much right now as I live in an apartment and it's a tad noisy for the neighbors. But once I get a house I'll play again.

crazy4disneyworld
07-11-2007, 10:34 PM
I play the saxophone (mostly alto, but I have played tenor and baritone) and the piano. I am now in the process of learning to play the acoustic/electric guitar.

pogo
07-11-2007, 10:48 PM
I've been a :drummer: my whole life. I've retired from playing full time. Time to stay home and smell the roses. Life on the road can be tough. :yes: I might be coaxed back into some studio work if the right deal comes along.;)

Played everything from Jazz, Rock, Southern Rock, Blues, Swing, and Country.

Stan
07-11-2007, 11:06 PM
All my life I've been a nut for instrumental solos and backups. Not that there's anything wrong with a good vocal (though many artists play much better than they sing), but sometimes I wish they'd just shut up and let me listen to the background. :( Maybe one day audio recordings will come with separate tracks for every instrument (kind of like DVD's with alternate camera angles) so you can listen to whatever mix you like... yeah, right.

The reason I'm talking about this in this thread is that whether I'm playing (piano) live or sequencing (drums clarinet guitar bass strings etc etc) I'm generally trying to make it sound like something I've admired in somebody's recording.

I could never listen too many times to:

Floyd Cramer's piano on Patsy Cline's Crazy or Elvis' I Got Stung (and many others)
Boots Randolph's tenor sax on Elvis' Reconsider Baby (many others)
Pete Fountain's clarinet on Tiger Rag
Benny Goodman's clarinet on Let's Dance
Jimmy Dorsey's alto saxophone on So Rare
Harry James' trumpet on You Made Me Love You
unknown studio musician's tenor sax on the Foremen Folk Heros' Do the Clinton
unknown studio musicians' clarinet and trumpet on Hank Williams Jr's Women I've Never Had

Fantasmic
07-16-2007, 07:18 AM
I play :

Flute
Alto Sax
Tenor Sax
Baritone Sax
Clarinet
Oboe
Keyboard
Recorder

I also sing/dance/act with a local Theatre Company, we've just finished a run of Seussical The Musical. :cool:

I'm very musical! :number1:

IamBelle
07-17-2007, 11:50 AM
I play the bass drum, the cymbals, and almost every kind of percussion instrument. (I play in High School Marching Band{our show was Millenium Celebration w/ Illuminations last year!})

Horizon93
07-17-2007, 04:23 PM
1) Guitar
2)Piano/Keyboards
3) Bass
4) alittle drums

Played in many cover bands and now direct high school musicals and choir.

cEveArdenfan
07-20-2007, 09:57 AM
I love to play the piano, :piano: especially show tunes. :shades:
I see we're pretty musical here at Intercot.