PDA

View Full Version : Flying to WDW for the first time

Dawnya
07-04-2007, 01:19 PM
We are flying to WDW the end of Dec. and staying til the first week of Jan. but we have never flown before, anywhere. Anything we need to know or any advice? Thanks!

disneymom2000
07-04-2007, 02:39 PM
Just remember to read the rules of carry on's when the airlines send you confirmation documentation. When it says only certain things allowed - that's what it means. My MIL knew the rules but had to have her hairspray and packed it in her carryon and they took it from her and threw it away. She was really mad. And the only other thing that comes to mind is that seldom does the airline lose luggage. You can check most of your baggage. A SMALL carry on is all that is needed with maybe one change of clothes and medicines and necessary toiletries (toothbrush, comb etc). It takes forever to board the plane when people bring their large carryons and try to shove them into the overhead compartments that aren't made to handle luggage that large. I wish the airlines would go to requiring everything ov er 2x2 be checked under the plane. Just a pet peeve of mine.

ibrowse17
07-04-2007, 02:45 PM
How exciting for you! I wish you luck and smooth flying:thumbsup:

Jasminegirlsmom
07-04-2007, 03:28 PM
I travel quite a bit, mostly for work :(, and here are a few things I do. If I'm going for more than a night or two, I check my luggage that way I don't have to worry about rules for liquids and gels ( hairspray, toothpaste, makeup, contact lens solution, hand or body lotion etc.). Also I wear slip on shoes - because when you go through security you'll have to take them off. Try to check-in online (most airlines let you check-in online 24 hours in advance) this will save you the wait to check in at the airport. You may have a wait to check your luggage, but it should be MUCH shorter as they usually have a seperate line specifically for people who have checked-in online.

Hope this helps. Have GREAT trip!:mickey:

robyn221
07-04-2007, 05:14 PM
I'm assuming that your kids are travelling with you. Here's some things that have worked with us:

Bring snacks you know the kids will like. Depending on which airline you're traveling, your snack choices may range from those little packages of peanuts to your choice of overpriced concession stand food (sorry -- no popcorn). Your other option is picking up (usually overpriced) snacks in an airport shop. Bringing your own ensures your kids are most likely to have stuff they like and you have more control over what they eat.
You may consider renting or bringing a movie player (or 2). Again, depending on your airline and the ages of your kids, entertainment options may be few. Some airlines will show movies or television shows on longer flights. Some don't, preferring you occupy yourself with eating their overpriced concession stand fare. Having a DVD that they enjoy can help the flight go quicker and may reduce the amount of time they chose to entertain themselves by irritating each other and by extension, you. Most of the larger airports I've been to have stores where you can rent the players and movies (I'm not sure of the fees). I've also seen the portable players for sale for anywhere from $50 to $100+, depending on brand and where you buy. If you bring your own, don't forget the earphones.
Reward them for their good behavior with little prizes at regular intervals throughout the flight. I find what work really well are things they can actually play with or read or use on the flight. This gives them a tangible benefit for being good & you're constantly introducing new things to keep them busy and entertained. Don't think of it as bribing your children to behave. Instead think of it as an insurance policy for your sanity.
If you have them, bring IPods, or the like, and headphones. This serves a number of purposes: 1 -- keeps them entertained; & 2 -- drowns out the sound of the plane's engines, which can be a bit much sometimes. Attach the devices to lanyards & let them wear them around their necks to reduce the chances that they will be left behind on the plane.
Make sure everybody (especially the parents) are well-rested. There's no guarantee that the kids will sleep on the plane. The only time my kids have napped in flight is when they were babies and their tummies were good & full. Making sure that everyone has had a good night's sleep will help you all be better able to deal with any issues or changes the may come up in your travel.
If you have youngsters who have recently been potty-trained, you may consider letting them wear Pull-Ups rather than their "big kid" drawers. Accidents happen, usually at the most inconvenient times. And no time is more inconvenient than in the middle of a crowded flight. Also, you'll want to have a set of clothes for each kid, just in case you have to do a quick change. Ditto for extra diapers if you still have one or two who've not yet reached the potty-training stage.

Hope this helps. With the exception of this year, our vacation destinations tend to not be within driving distance and so we've flown a good bit with our kids. A flight can be a fun & exciting adventure for all involved, as long as we do a little prep beforehand.

Have a great trip!

Robyn:mickey:

LoriMistress
07-04-2007, 05:36 PM
Purchase your flights now.

BronxTigger
07-04-2007, 06:29 PM
If you are prone to motion sickness, take Dramamine before the flight.

Sometimes the plane can be cold, you may want to bring a small fleece blanket with you. Some of the airlines still offer these for free if you can find them, but some are charging. Also consider a little travel pillow.

You may not bring drinks through security, but you can purchase drinks after you go through security and take them on the plane (unless this has recently changed). On the plane, you usually only get a small drink, and it can get very dry up there.

If you wear contacts or are sensitive to dry air, consider bringing eye drops and nasal spray to keep irritation away. Make sure it fits within TSA guidelines (less than 3 oz, inside quart size ziplok bag).

Arrive at the airport at least 90 minutes early; you will have check in and security lines to deal with. I try to get to my airport 2 hours early. Better early and bored than running late and being stressed or missing your flight.

Enjoy the flight!

RaRaRoundTheWorld
07-07-2007, 12:35 PM
- We checked our stroller literally before we entered the aircraft. We just had to tag it at the gate counter. It will not count as extra luggage.
- Our kids enjoyed sticker books and coloring books.
- We brought a laptop on our trip and ended up using it so the kids could watch a movie.
- Although our DD was potty trained, we made her wear a pull-up just in case she didn't make it the potty in her new surroundings.
- For our next trip, we might buy a portable V-smile or such toy for added distraction.
- Bring your own ziploc bags for wipes, mussed up clothing, throw-up or whatever you can't throw away properly.
- Bring dry snacks.

ILoveLegos
07-07-2007, 01:08 PM
Bring chewing gum or gummy bears to chew while the plane takes off and lands. It will helps your ears to pop (technically helps to clear your eustacian tubes - if you have problems with that sort of thing like I do).
Also - one other piece of advice - I wish someone had told me just how fast an airplane accelerates to lift off the ground, if you look out the window while taking off this might un-nerve you (I though it was surprising but exilarating). Once you are up in the air a bit, you will not feel like you are moving very fast at all because of your line of sight perspective and there is nothing much passing by the window besides maybe some clouds and landscape drifting by way down below! Enjoy your flight, I always do. :)