PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else have to work July 4th?

emmatink
07-03-2007, 10:29 PM
Ahh holidays, a time to relax and enjoy the meaning of the day right? Well not in today's world! Anyone else have to work almost all the holidays like me? Sometimes I wonder why I went to college all those years for my horrible schedule. Granted I only work 4 days a week but I have to work every other weekend and alot of holidays, including Christmas and Thanksgiving Day and it is mandatory not elective! Sorry I just need to vent for a moment:mad: Maybe I need a new profession:D

Twinsowner
07-03-2007, 10:49 PM
sounds like you work in the medical field. I work a lot of holidays my self. I really am used to it now and it isnt a big deal except for Christmas.

kakn7294
07-03-2007, 10:54 PM
I feel your pain. I work on July 4th as well (and many other holidays and every other weekend), but I don't go in until 11p. Working holidays while everyone else has a great time really gets to be quite a drag sometimes.

Marilyn Michetti
07-03-2007, 11:30 PM
DH works tomorrow, but he's an R.N., and somebody has to do it. He's getting time and a half tho', so it's not so bad. :D

It's going to be 118 tomorrow, so we would stay home anyway.:sun:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
07-03-2007, 11:50 PM
I don't have to officially work, but I'll spend the day cooking for family and friends, then cleaning up. Does that count? Happy 4th to everyone, working or not. Stay safe!

PirateLover
07-04-2007, 12:03 AM
I always feel terrible for those who have to work on holidays. I see ads from banks that say "Yes, we are open every day of the year!" And I think to myself "that's another reason I don't belong to your bank." I can deal with the minor inconvenience of having to go to the bank the day before or after a holiday. At least some stores have limited hours so that the employees can enjoy some of the holiday.

jennbunn
07-04-2007, 12:37 AM
i will be working in the evening for a few hours. i should get off in time to see the fireworks at least. :)

snifflesmcg
07-04-2007, 12:51 AM
I'm at work now (it's 12:44 am) and have to work until 7 am. Does that count?

Dsnygirl
07-04-2007, 04:05 AM
I'm at work right now, too, until 0730... but it's our "holiday pay night" for the night shift, so the $$$ is DEFINITELY worth it! (Double time and a half x 12 hrs!! :thumbsup:) I don't think it's worth it for Christmas or T'giving - I'd much rather be home, regardless of the $$, but for the smaller holidays, I don't mind so much.

WinnipegDisneyFanatic
07-04-2007, 04:14 AM
I have the day off..but being Canadian, it doesn't really matter here I suppose! :blush:

HOWEVER, I DID have to work July 1st - Canada Day. So I feel your pain!

Chris :hatter:

conorsmom2000
07-04-2007, 08:25 AM
I don't have to officially work, but I'll spend the day cooking for family and friends, then cleaning up. Does that count?

I was going to say the same thing! :blush: We're having 60 people here for a party, so I've been working non-stop since yesterday - I'm just not getting paid for it! :D

I do always feel for those that have to work on Holidays, though. I can't remember the last time my twin brother was here for Thanksgiving - that's the holiday he usually has to work. We do, though, try to keep him involved by sending him text messages & pictures as to what he's missing! :D

January-2007
07-04-2007, 02:34 PM
I had to work last 4th of July but I don't have to work this year. DH just found out 2 days ago that he got off with pay today so we didn't have time to plan anything. It's a good day for catching up on housework and DH is currently taking a nap. I don't think he could be happier. Now if we could figure out how to get to the fireworks tonight... This is our first 4th of July in our new town. Too bad we couldn't go camping...

ryca1dreams
07-04-2007, 03:02 PM
I have to work at a MLB baseball game (law enforcement liaison work). Does that count?

Belle--86
07-04-2007, 03:31 PM
I know the feeling I have to work also--but this year I don't have to go into 11pm-- usually work a double--first time in several years I'm not.Of course I work pretty much all tne Holidays-- except Christmas Eve I use the management song ( I'm a supervisor and proball one of the few who works Holidays at my place)

mrsgaribaldi
07-04-2007, 04:32 PM
I always take vacation the week of the 4th but I have to work my share of all the other holidays so I know what you're talking about. It kills me to work Thanksgiving but this year is my turn to be off:thumbsup:;)

snifflesmcg
07-04-2007, 05:03 PM
So, I got off of work this morning at 7 and was going to go to the shore.....but it's overcast so I didn't go:(. I'd much rather work the 4th than a day like Thanksgiving or Christmas. I am scheduled to work Christmas (it falls on a tuesday, my normal night). I already told them, Sorry, I won't be here.

alilprincessmom
07-04-2007, 06:16 PM
Yep. I am working right now! I started at 8 a.m and it looks like I have to work until midnight! No parade, no fireworks, nothing! All because no one else would work! I am just a little bitter, but never fear, I am spending my day on Intercot and planning our trips to Disneyland and WDW!!!!

marlyn
07-04-2007, 06:34 PM
I am an RN...I worked July 1st Canada Day and i also work tonight for July 4th.

iDisney
07-04-2007, 07:25 PM
I got off of work at 4... from the only grocery store in town. Boy that was fun! (Did you sense the sarcasm?) I did get paid an extra dollar an hour, but that is nothing compared to everyone else's time and a half or double time.

jkj1224
07-04-2007, 09:42 PM
I had to work today (and will have to work most holidays) but I guess it could be worse, I do get fireworks every night when it's time to go home :D

TiggeRia
07-04-2007, 09:51 PM
I feel your pain...I worked for 12 hours today (ER RN) and we are always super busy on holidays. I guess more people are off of work and out having fun (and drinking.....), so more people get hurt. I have gotten stuck working every holiday so far this year, and still have to work Labor day, Christmas, and New Year's Eve. It does get to be a drag sometimes....:(

emmatink
07-04-2007, 10:29 PM
You are definitely right, more people do get hurt around the holidays. I am a Pharmacist and I don't mind being open for those emergencies but it really irks me when people come in to get routine stuff that could have been taken care of earlier. Or when they rush in to the pharmacy to fill a prescription that they have had for over a month and need it right away because they are leaving to go out of town. I guess I just don't like poor planners who make it my responsibility to take care of a situation that they should have been responsible for in the first place...like running out of medication! Now I understand some things are out of our control but most of the situations are self controlled. Sorry I just had to vent again. I have worked my daughter's first real Christmas, Mother's Day, Memorial Day, Fourth of July...I guess I will stop there because you get the point. I think we are the only chain that is open every day of the year!

Namine'
07-04-2007, 10:45 PM
Me too!!! I had worked a 12 hr shift (RN L&D)
Left work 8pm and it was pouring rain. The good thing was it was busy so the day went fast. I also worked with a great group of people so that also helps. I am on vacation the next holiday:thumbsup: can't wait:thumbsup: