PDA

View Full Version : Any one else nervous about DTD

CandleontheWater
07-03-2007, 06:07 PM
I'm getting really nervous about going to DTD alone at night. I know that if I use my head, that nothing bad will happen to me, and I've traveled alone abroad before, but there is just something unnerving about the reports coming out of DTD. First the kidnapping, then the pipe bomb, what next? I know that these are relatively minor incidents, and if they happened any where else I wouldn't pay them any mind, but the fact that they happened at my happy place makes them extra insidious. I'm really thinking about skipping DTD entirely on my next solo trip, because I feel vunerable as a woman alone. On the other hand I hate thinking about not going because its sorta like letting the "bad guys" win. Does anyone else feel this way?

snifflesmcg
07-03-2007, 06:43 PM
Nah, I'm not worried. It's one of those flukes that could happen anywhere. From what I hear, Disney beefed up security. I'm not going to let a few thugs ruin my vacation.

Clotho
07-03-2007, 07:29 PM
Except that the kidnapping turned out to be a hoax, and the "pipe bomb" was hardly an incident and was chalked up as a prank and was not dangerous.

I wouldn't worry. I think the fake kidnapping put the media's eye on DTD, as they are wont to do, and they are scrounging for more newsworthy fodder to try and scare us. That is what the media loves to do. DOn't let them make you a victim of their scare tactics.

snifflesmcg
07-03-2007, 07:42 PM
That kidnapping was a hoax??? Wow, I didn't see that part of it on the news. You peaked my curiousity, I have to go look it up now.

DizneyRox
07-03-2007, 10:58 PM
If you don't feel comfortable, don't go. I think it's a bad idea to NOT charge admission to the area at night. A free place to hand out is just asking for trouble. If more and more people avoid that place, maybe Disney will clean it up.

KatGat
07-04-2007, 10:45 AM
I am also a little nervous about DTD now. Even if the kidnapping was a hoax and the pipe bomb was a prank, the recent local newspaper article about there being a 'gang-like' presence there was decidedly real... I agree that the policy allowing people to hang around for free is asking for trouble. I may just do my shopping in the parks or at my resort this year. Anyway, that's just my opinion..

Clotho
07-04-2007, 04:53 PM
Not to freak you out, KatGat, but any latenight hangout, including any cluster of clubs or bars, in almost ANY city, has "gang presence". That very term is also very "media hype", trying to freak you out and create news where there is nearly none. I guarantee you that you will be safer at a Disney property nightspot than just about any other.

I understand why they don't charge at the gate any more. I know for my part, I may not be interested in going in unless I knew what the clkubs were like-suss out the energy, check out the music and the crowd, see what's happening. I also would probably choose one club I might want to spend the evening, rather than pay for the entire collection of clubs for a higher price. This way they can draw more people in, and the customer gets what they want to pay for.

PrincessEmmasMommy
07-04-2007, 05:12 PM
As a teacher in a gang-heavy community, I can tell you that unless you cross a gang member they will probably leave you alone. The people you really have to worry about in this world aren't the gangsters, it is the wanna-be gangsters who do much worse things to people in order to impress the gangsters. We have had a few teacher workshops on gang awareness and I really have learned a lot. Relax and enjoy all that DD has to offer!
Jen

avantgardeinker
07-05-2007, 09:52 AM
Except that the kidnapping turned out to be a hoax, and the "pipe bomb" was hardly an incident and was chalked up as a prank and was not dangerous.

I wouldn't worry. I think the fake kidnapping put the media's eye on DTD, as they are wont to do, and they are scrounging for more newsworthy fodder to try and scare us. That is what the media loves to do. DOn't let them make you a victim of their scare tactics.

Where did you hear that the kidnapping was a hoax? I never heard that and I can't find anything on it.

Clotho
07-05-2007, 06:50 PM
Where did you hear that the kidnapping was a hoax? I never heard that and I can't find anything on it.

I am not sure what the policy is on posting links or quoting from other discussion boards and report sites. Suffice to say that if you look up the latest info on the incident you will discover that the couple who was "kidnapped" were drug addicts who were wanted in another state. They refused to cooperate with the police in preparing a sketch of their supposed abductors, and refused to take a voice stress test, which essentially is a lie detector-like system.There is also video footage that shows them withdrawing their money from the ATM at the CVS nearby, and there is no indication that he was fearful or being forced in any way. And then the couple didn't show up at an assigned meeting about the incident, when they did get tracked down they signed a paper saying that even if their "kidnappers" were found, they would refuse to press charges, and skipped town soon after.

All evidence points to some deception, and the case is now dropped.

Also, there are a few articles out there RE the "gang activity". Orlando Sentinel is reporting charges of racial profiling. So any "gang activity" reported may simply be "those black kids are being rowdy and look suspicious to me."

So in general, I would say don't be afraid to go to DTD! As with any "going ti alone" situation, be smart about it--stay in well-lit well-traveled areas, if someone is making you nervous move away from them, if you feel threatened find someone in security. And ther eis plenty of security around, so you're covered! :)

BluewaterBrad
07-08-2007, 09:38 AM
I think it is terrible that this whole issue comes up!!:mickey:

Darbylew
07-08-2007, 10:01 AM
We were just there the end of May and went to
DTD. I found it the same as always. I think if
you take the bus to DTD then you are not
parking in the parking lot. I felt safe with my
family there. I am not sure that I would like to
go alone. I love having company with me where
ever I go anyway. Have a fun time and try not
to worry. :mickey:

mttafire
07-11-2007, 12:19 AM
Im not the least bit worried about going to dtd at night. Nor should anyone else be. Ive found that in life if you're not looking for trouble, Trouble wont find you. :mickey:

Jenemmy
07-11-2007, 08:27 AM
Im not the least bit worried about going to dtd at night. Nor should anyone else be. Ive found that in life if you're not looking for trouble, Trouble wont find you. :mickey:

I agree...not to mention that a little common sense goes a long way. It's never a bad idea to have your radar up ANYWHERE you go. That being said, I would not avoid DTD, personally. There are enough people milling around that you can stay in well lit, populated aread and have a good time :mickey:

tarjaybuff
07-11-2007, 11:42 PM
In FEB 2007 we went to DTD, and noticed a big difference in the people that were hanging out at Pleasure Island(large groups of loafing kids). It did bother me that it seemed like a local mall.

However, DTD West Side was just like always. Great food and shopping in a safe family oriented environment.

My recommendation is to go to DTD and stay on the West Side or try the Boardwalk.

Polynesian Dweller
07-12-2007, 12:25 PM
No concern at all. As was previously posted, keep your radar up. Most people who get in trouble on vacations are those who forget that its still a real world you are in and let down their normal guard. Disney is safer than most spots so don't worry but remember that there are people ther who aren't on vacation and things can happen anywhere.

mainemajor
07-12-2007, 10:06 PM
Not worried a bit. Security has been beefed up, but even if it had not been done I refuse to become worried about things like this. When you give in to fear - you loose and the "bad guys" win and I will not let that happen and neither should you.