PDA

View Full Version : Puppy question..

DizNee143
07-03-2007, 02:27 PM
so me and my fiance got a beagle puppy on friday!! we named her Lucy.
shes a fresh little puppy but..what do you expect? lol...
today i went home on my lunch hour to check up on her...and i saw she pooped..but it was green and gooey and then when i picked it up to clean it..i saw there was a little bit of blood also...
the lady we bought Lucy from said her stool might be a bit off for a few days..and we might see some blood...cuz friday morning she had gone to the vet and Lucy got a second round of shots and got wormed...but she said it wouldnt last long..
but the thing is..Lucy has been pretty good..her stool has been soft but nothing like just now.....
and this is the first time ive seen this...
should i be worried?...she doesnt go to the Vet until monday (7/9/07)..it was the earliest appointment they had...
can i give a puppy rice?..you know to bind (sp?) her alittle...
she seems perfectly fine..shes still very playful and trying to go everywhere and do everything..
so i dunno if i should be worried..or just wait it out and ask the vet on monday?
*if anyone wants to see her..you can click on my name and go to my homepage...theres pictures of her in the picture section!!*

TinkiTime1989
07-03-2007, 03:05 PM
I wouldn't be too concerned unless this continues. If her tummy is upset, which it apparently is, then it is fine to give her a little bit of plain white rice and some plain grilled chicken. That is what our vet told us to give our 2 pups when they aren't feeling well. Congrats on the new little furry addition to your family!:dog:

p.s.- The pics. are adorable!

DizneyRox
07-03-2007, 03:48 PM
Anytime you change a dog's diet you'll see some changes in their stool. Once the dog is accustomed to a good diet, it should pass. If you refrain from big changes, like differing types of table food, etc you'll really see a big difference in the clean up.

Remember garbage in, garbage out applies.

We can tell when our dogs are sick as well, even a constant diet can be disrupted by illness and it shows up pretty quick.

BTW - Be careful with table food in general. While rice is OK, you may be surprised that some foods like onions and grapes can be fatal.

DizNee143
07-03-2007, 04:08 PM
Anytime you change a dog's diet you'll see some changes in their stool. Once the dog is accustomed to a good diet, it should pass. If you refrain from big changes, like differing types of table food, etc you'll really see a big difference in the clean up.

Remember garbage in, garbage out applies.

We can tell when our dogs are sick as well, even a constant diet can be disrupted by illness and it shows up pretty quick.

BTW - Be careful with table food in general. While rice is OK, you may be surprised that some foods like onions and grapes can be fatal.

umm ok...
nothing in her diet has changed...shes eating the same food the that the lady who i got it from gave her...
and then there was the whole shot thing like i said and getting wormed..so i didnt know if i should worry...and a few people are telling me to wait and see the next time she poops and see what happens if its still like it was earlier that i shoudl try rice...but then i have my mom yelling at me not to give her rice...
but im so confused!! lol
hopefully it was a one time thing and she will be all better!!
oh ya..and i know all about what foods to give dogs and what not to give dogs...i grew up always having a dog around..so i know what to do and not do...
just confused on this...

Jasper
07-03-2007, 04:15 PM
You made a key statement when you said she is acting normal. If she had anything really serious going on she would be lethargic and laying around. I am in the camp that says wait until she has another bm or maybe even two and then if it is still watery try the rice. While it is ok to feed a puppy rice, it can bind her up too much and give her constipation. WIth a puppy you normally only want about half of her diet to be rice. The problem is that since you just got her you can't be certain how much she normally eats thus you can't be sure how much rice to let her have.

kakn7294
07-03-2007, 05:55 PM
I agree that it's probably nothing to worry about at this point if she is acting and playing like normal. Just keep an eye on her for now. If she has any further problems with her stools, try the rice mixed with her regular food. If she becomes droopy or lethargic, call the vet ASAP and get her an emergency appointment. I don't know what you are feeding her as far as the puppy food brand, but the more expensive brands are generally much more nutrient dense. This means that the dog injests more of the nutrients with less waste. My own dog eats the higher end dry foods because with her, the cheaper the food, the more she eats and the more she poops - and it's mushier and smellier. You might want to gradually switch her to a better food based on your vet's recommendation.

DizneyRox
07-03-2007, 07:02 PM
I would give it time. Next time she goes to the bathroom can be pretty quick.

I would recommend some of the better foods, Eukanuba would be on the low end of the high end food. Personally I use Nutro Natural Choice and my dogs are very healthy and are super easy to clean up after. I don't listen to vet recommendations on food choices however, they always seems to push the Science Diet or Iams, or whatever they are "paid" to peddle. Do some research online to find the best food for you.

Deworming does a number on their insides. I would give it a few days and see what goes on. With a good food, you should notice a difference...

DizNee143
07-04-2007, 10:26 PM
shes been fine..nothing funky coming out of her now..lol..so i dont think it was anything to worry about...
the breeder we bought her from had her on Nutro Ultra Puppy..so thats what she is eating...
thanx for all the suggestions...and keeping me calm..i would feel so bad if something would of happened to her!!

MsMin
07-05-2007, 11:09 AM
Congrats on your new addition. I'm glad it's fine now. Yes, you can expect to see changes in stool after worming and I'm glad the breeder mentioned it to you.
I hope you are still going to get her checked b/c it's always a good idea to have your own vet check a pup. My last visit w/ the pups when they had their stitches out from the docks there was a young boy there very sad b/c he had just bought a mini dachshund and it was very ill (lethargic)and not expected to live.
When they are playful it's always a good sign. Beagles are known to be a healthy breed! :paw: have fun w/ your new addition...

Tinkerfreak
07-05-2007, 07:29 PM
I agree that it's probably nothing to worry about at this point if she is acting and playing like normal. Just keep an eye on her for now. If she has any further problems with her stools, try the rice mixed with her regular food. If she becomes droopy or lethargic, call the vet ASAP and get her an emergency appointment. I don't know what you are feeding her as far as the puppy food brand, but the more expensive brands are generally much more nutrient dense. This means that the dog injests more of the nutrients with less waste. My own dog eats the higher end dry foods because with her, the cheaper the food, the more she eats and the more she poops - and it's mushier and smellier. You might want to gradually switch her to a better food based on your vet's recommendation.

I agree. I will only ever feed Science Diet. I know it seems expensive but they really do eat less of it because it has more nutrients in it so you don't have to buy as much and less eating means less poohing. I know lots of people feed table scraps but I am totally against it. A dogs system is just not designed to metabolize all the sugar, salt and preservatives in people food. A good diet helps control doggie breath, shedding and overal odor of the dog. Sorry about the rant.:soapbox:
Good luck with your puppy, beagles are just so adorable.
I also say don't feed her any rice, wait to see the vet.

J9
07-08-2007, 11:22 AM
Hi! Wow, this all sounds so familiar! We got a Bichon Frise puppy in April and we had pretty much the same problem. Brie was going soft, to the point of it just being liquid with spots of mucus and blood. Originally we thought it was the change in environment since we had her on the same exact food the breeder gave her. After about a week in her new home, she wasn't getting any better, but she was still an active and playful little thing and didnt act sick.

Then we found a wormie. So we thought maybe that was the problem and took her to the vet. Still no change. We changed her food a few times to see if maybe that was it since the breeder didn't have her on a puppy formula. Nope, not it.

My mom was freaking out and I was crying because Brittany, our pup of 16 years, had died weeks before we got Brie and we didn't want to lose her or give her back, but we had already fallen in love. The vet gave us anti-inflammatory and anti-spasm medicine which helped for a while, but never lasted long.

Finally I read on the internet about puppies with sensitive stomachs that couldn't handle the food they were given. We brought it up to the vet who said it was worth a shot and he put her on Royal Canine high protein low residue canned dog food which is available onl from the vet (and no subject to any food recalls). Within two days we had solid poops!

Brie has been on the food about a month now and she has not had any diarrehea since. The vet said she could be on this food for the rest of her life, and might not be. He wants us to wait until she's a year old and then try the dry food again to see what happens. Brie loves this food like crazy and could not be any happier now that her tummy feels better.

This might not be your pup's problem, but I just wanted to let you know I have been there myself and know exactly what you're going through. Brie's vet said exactly what everyone is telling you - if Lucy's acting like a healthy and playful puppy, its probably just a minor problem that needs to work itself out in time.