PDA

View Full Version : Walk in with no room reservations???

spoiledraf
07-03-2007, 05:35 AM
Anybody ever just show up at the front desk and ask for a room???:confused:

Just as a whim, to avoid all the hassle of planning and the worry of bad weather, we are considering just driving up to the Beach Club, in late September, September 23rd to be exact, and just getting a room and package right at the front desk. If the weather is ******, hey, we'll go another time. If a hurricane is blowing through, no hassle. Theres always another week coming up.

We live in Ohio and we only are planning on staying for four days before going to Atlanta to visit our daughter. I'm thinking I could have enough flexability to change my week vacation and just go later, (although I haven't cleared that with my boss) should weather get ugly.

We usually are super planned out but we have yet to make reservations and this would add a little spontinaety to the trip. My DW complains there are too many time commitments in our "vacation". We always dine very late and never have a problem with reservations and don't do the character dining so typically don't have problems with breakfast either.

Thoughts....

DizneyRox
07-03-2007, 07:21 AM
I may be wrong, but I think you'll find that the rates are going to be SUPER expensive. I would plan on paying rack rates for a walk up and no option for a package of any sort.

I know with DVC, I can't just add the DDP to my stay, it needs to be done before arrival. I have no interest in the DDP so I'm not sure how early, but I know for a walk up, I'll be turned down.

Tickets though are no problem, they are always available.

eeyoremom
07-03-2007, 09:04 AM
We walked up last January at POP. We had reservations for later in the week, but decided to see what was available. There were plenty of rooms, however, front desk cannot apply any discounts. Not even AAA. They did however hand us the phone and told us to call reservations. Reservations said we had a code attached to our name, so they gave us a very discounted room, starting immediately. Everything depends on availability if you walk in. There was a time when we would stop in Ocala and get decent rates frequently. That Disney welcome center is now closed. I don't know how you will do if you have your heart set on a particular resort or package. You also can call reservations from a cell phone when you are in the area. Have a good trip.

WishingStar2006
07-03-2007, 09:07 AM
I do know that DDP has to be purchased at least 10 days prior to arrival.

Good luck!

Donald
07-03-2007, 11:37 AM
Availability might be questionable: If there has been a hurricane, or there is the anticipation of one coming, rooms can fill up quickly. We tried to make earlier reservations for our Sept. 04 trip because Hurricane Jeanne was on the way, and we ended up having to stay at ASSports because the resort we already had reservations for was already booked. The CM kept saying, "that's gone, now that's gone, let's try...that's gone too." Good luck!

moe513
07-03-2007, 12:29 PM
That time of yr is the slow season so you should be fine. As long as your flexible. I would call when your on route in the car just to check availiblity.

TammiMcMan
07-03-2007, 01:19 PM
Oddly enough, even though you'd think of late September as being off season, the only available rooms showing up at the BC for a 9/23 4 day stay, is a King Sico room (murphy bed pulls down out of the wall) at $315 a night and a 2 bedroom suite. That's actually a fairly popular time for conventions there. The YC had a few more options. As travel dates get closer though, people do cancel their packages and room only to avoid any penalties, so other rooms are bound to open up.

I would definitely not just show up at the resort though, but instead, call reservations from your cell phone when you have made your final decision. That's the only way to get a discount or possibly code applied to the room rate.

TheRustyScupper
07-03-2007, 02:08 PM
1) Yes, you can walk-in and ask for a room.
2) If available, you pay rack rate.
3) I have seen a Florida Resident discount applied.
4) Other than that, full price for everyone else.
5) But, if you need a room, you need a room.

Eeyore's My Favorite
07-03-2007, 06:01 PM
That time of yr is the slow season so you should be fine. As long as your flexible. I would call when your on route in the car just to check availiblity.
I don't think there's any such thing as a slow season anymore - I called almost 3 wks ago checking different WDW hotels and alot of them were booking up for the entire month of September, especially with the Disney dining promo. Luckily for us we only wanted 2 nights, AAA discount & managed to score a preferred room @ POP even though CM did say things were pretty full at that time.

Good luck with just dropping in - I'd take the posters advice & call Disney Reservations as you're enroute to WDW.

Elynn:mickey:
Mickey here we come.............:princess::drive:

ILoveLegos
07-04-2007, 01:08 AM
My second home is some 70 miles from Disney World, a couple of times on my drive out of the themepark parking lot I have spotted Disney signs that reminds locals and people staying off site that they could actually spend that night at a Disney World Resort... I usually say to everyone, "Well here's our big chance to get totally emersed in Disney magic and skip that long ride home - would someone somebody call that number quick!?!". That usually gets a big laugh. So far, nobody in my car has bothered to power up the cell phone to investigate the logistics of such a stay because we've always just driven on home without checking this possiblilty out. Oh well, I have to admit we like staying in our our home and I love to drive back and forth, its so pretty and peaceful out there! The fact that there are signs like that one out there tells me that if there is room availablity, Disney will put you in a spontaneous accomodation - but somehow I would not count on deep discounts on such a last minute arrangement.

gardenia
07-04-2007, 08:32 AM
I live in Florida and I can't imagine not making a ressie ahead of time. To drive all the way from Ohio and then be disappointed... not worth the risk! Even with advance reservations, getting the resort and room type you want is often a challenge, as Tammi pointed out.

DessertDivaFL
07-13-2007, 10:09 AM
I live in Florida and I can't imagine not making a ressie ahead of time. To drive all the way from Ohio and then be disappointed... not worth the risk!

I agree 100%. :thumbsup: We Floridians know how the tourist season is even during the hurricane season. I strongly advise making reservations as you can change them or cancel them up to 7 days before the date of check in. It is better to be safe than sorry, yes?