PDA

View Full Version : Tipping on fishing exursions?

spoiledraf
07-03-2007, 05:03 AM
Last time down, I went twice, as it was included on the premium plan. The first time was a half day, a $400 dollar trip, and the second for two hours, $200 value. The first day I gave her, my guide, $30 and the second $20. We talked about it a bit and she said her tips usually only cover her gas money to the park and she said she lives about 40 mile away. Sounds like I'm in the ball park with other people, but I want to be fair. On the premium plan, tips are included for dining, but I don't know about this. We put out a lot of money up front so we don't have to worry about money when we get there and quite honestly, we don't have much left! We plurge for 4 days instead of penny pinching for seven.

Can you be my concience?

T--
07-03-2007, 09:51 AM
Did she put you on the fish?
How hard did she work? Sometimes guides have to work much harder when the fish aren't biting well - running from hole to hole, catching bait, changing tactics, etc.
I don't have a lot of experience w/ guides, but I think between 10 and 20 per cent is reasonable.

spoiledraf
07-03-2007, 01:22 PM
Unlike most guest I saw, we actually were tossing artificials in the weeds. And when I say we, I mean she caught more fish than I did, but she was showing me some things I had never done so I appreciated her instruction. Heck, no sense sittin there watchin me have all the fun. Plenty of fish to go around. But she was right there for anything I needed. Need a drink. Done. Twisted line, heres a new rod. It was great! There wasn't a lot of seaching out the holes. We pretty much hit most of the weed covered shoreline on Bay Lake in four hours. Seems you catch bigger fish with the shiners but it's more fun setting the hook on a Texas rigged worm. And they tend to swallow the hook on those shiners. A little tough getting them unhooked. She crushed the barb to make them slide out easier, too. We had such a good time we got together the next day too!

T--
07-05-2007, 11:02 AM
Sounds like a good time. What month?
Wonder if they could use circle hooks w/ the shiners...no hook setting but if the bass didn't spit it, that hook would stick right in the corner of his mouth.