PDA

View Full Version : Time for a change?

Tink&Goofy
07-03-2007, 12:30 AM
Well today was my 23rd anniversary....at work. I can't believe I have been at one place that long!! Lately its just not been the same. Its not always been fun and games, but right now I really don't look forward to going in to work. I'm wondering if this is just a passing phase, or if its really time for a change. Anyone been thru this?? When I started work, I had no intentions of staying in one place this long. But at first its a challenge, then kids come along and it gets more difficult to change. The pay is good, the benefits reasonable, and being government, I can retire in 10 years - with full retirement (including health insurance) at 55!. How crazy is it to want to change at this point?
Those of you with long careers at one employer - what keeps you there? :confused: Do you ever seriously think of leaving? Maybe this is just a mood right now, and it will pass. Any suggestions?? :shrug:

Twinsowner
07-03-2007, 12:56 AM
10 years left.....retire at 55.. stay put!!

mrsgaribaldi
07-03-2007, 01:51 AM
Ride out this rough time and stay. Only 10 more years left, you can do it:thumbsup:

Tinkerfreak
07-03-2007, 08:49 AM
As a self employed person I know how really valuable good benefits are because I have none. I have to pay $250. per month for health insurance with a $15,0000 deductible per person in my family. I say really think about what you would be giving up before you decide to quite. Don't just count the value of your salary but of all of your benefits also you would be surprised how much it can add up to. If it is bearable at all I would stay put and ride it out. Being able to retire at 55 with full benefits is unbelievably good.

princessjojo
07-03-2007, 09:01 AM
That's a hard one. On first glance, 10yrs is nothing compared to the 23 you already have under your belt. On the other hand, if it's difficult now, that may just make 10yrs a very long time. We are in the same boat but on a different level. DH is tired of his work, but the benefits are so-so, pension plan fair, but he makes really great money. I lost my job to downsizing 4 yrs ago, spent 1yr with our kids, 1yr busy with their accident and now I'm back in nursing school. We have considered moving out of our town to a better area, but it's really hard for us to leave DH's employer. He can find other work, but the pay won't be nearly what he gets now. It's almost like the longer you stay the deeper our employers get their hooks into you.

It's a hard decision to make. The health insurance is the kicker. If you can do it, I would have to agree with the others and say tough it out as best you can. Good luck to you.

offwego
07-04-2007, 05:33 PM
Is there anyway to change what you do but stay with your employer (I think you said it was government). Sometimes it's not who we work for but what we are doing.

Can you get them to pay for courses to change skills for something else?

It's something to look into...I'm at almost 20 years but I'm on my 4th "type" of career path with the same employer so it doesn't seem nearly that long.

LottaLubes
07-04-2007, 05:41 PM
Happy Work-aversary! :party:

I'm on year 24 myself...and that was leaving twice and coming back (to the same department)! I kind of know how you are feeling...I was feeling that way ealier this year when I decided to post for an internal position. I feel renewed! So if posting internally is an option, I would try that first. If it's not an option, you need to think hard about your long term goals. If it's to retire in 10 years...can you do that comfortably if you change companies?

Working 10 more years would be great for me but I'm going to try for 14. It depends how well I do on my financial goals.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
07-04-2007, 09:59 PM
I agree, stick it out. See if you can diversify somehow. Take on new duties, give some old duties to someone else. Anything to shake up the old routine and give you a fresh outlook. Good luck with your choice.

crazypoohbear
07-04-2007, 10:14 PM
Try to stay with it. If you don't know if it's a passing thing or not. Ride it out. It could get better right around the corner. And you are soo close to retirement try to ride it out.

Tink&Goofy
07-05-2007, 02:00 PM
Thanks to everyone. Maybe I just need a vacation?? I haven't had any time off this year and have 5 weeks to burn before the end of the year. We have a short trip to DL planned in August, but not much else, since DH just started a new job and does not have time off yet :(.
My temporary solution? Stay put....hope it gets better. I always keep my eyes open for other opportunities, but nothing has really been workable to this point. (positions in my grade level most times require a move, which is not an option).
In the mean time, we added more DVC points at AKV, which allows us to take another trip next March. :D. Planning the trips is always a wonderful distraction (and alot of fun):blush:.