PDA

View Full Version : Security question - flying

dolphinmickey9170
07-02-2007, 11:53 PM
I haven't flown in 4 years and I was wondering what are the current rules for medications. I know the 3-1-1 rule, I'm okay with that, although I found out today that SW allows razors in a check in bag, even scissors with a blade of less than 4 inches, but they confiscated my cuticle scissors back then. I am confused. Do your prescription meds have to be in their original containers? Or can you take them in some other type of bottle? What about your basic OTC meds, mini bottles of them too? It's just too much. Most of the things that I cannot take as checkin, I will purchase with the gardengrocer. Then I don't have to worry about checking a bag and not getting it until way late. We are carrying on just the two bags we need.

faline
07-03-2007, 05:49 AM
Security rules have changed over time. I'd definitely have meds in their original containers.

Here's the list from the TSA (the govenment organization that oversees security).

What you can bring (http://www.tsa.dhs.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm#0)

merlinmagic4
07-03-2007, 07:52 AM
The meds need to be in original containers with the person's name on them (and they should obviously match one of the ticket holders!). The meds can be any size. We had a huge bottle of liquid prograf and many others; no one blinked an eye or really even looked at it. I had them in a cooler with ice packs because one needed to stay cold. I declared them to security but they just went through the xray machine.

I think OTC meds would need to be 3oz or less in the baggie or checked with your luggage.

Hope this helps :)

wdwfan
07-03-2007, 09:22 AM
I always put my meds together in one bottle in my purse and have never had any problems going thru security. I only take few meds but the bottles they ship by mail are huge. If I had to take each of those that's all that would fit in my purse.

PrincessEmmasMommy
07-05-2007, 08:03 AM
What about if OTC meds are not liquid. I have allergy pills that are blister sealed. Do they have to be in the box?
Thanks!
Jen

TheRustyScupper
07-05-2007, 01:06 PM
1) Liquid is liquid, with exception of prescription drugs.
2) Even OTC drugs fall under the 3-ounce liquid rule.
3) So, either buy them in Orlando or pack in checked luggage.

NOTE: I travel A LOT, and have seen a lot of OTC liquids in the trash before entering security. This included things like sun tan lotion and cold medications.

PrincessEmmasMommy
07-05-2007, 02:31 PM
My allergy pills (Alavert) are not liquid or liquid caps, do they have to be in their original box?
Thanks!
Jen

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
07-06-2007, 08:37 PM
My allergy pills (Alavert) are not liquid or liquid caps, do they have to be in their original box?
Thanks!
Jen

Unless things have changed since last September, No. We brought one sleeve of chewable Tylenol for the kids on the plane and no one said a thing. The box with the rest of them was in the checked luggage.
HTH