PDA

View Full Version : Fish eaters - help me out please!

JennyAnne
07-02-2007, 12:30 PM
Hi everyone!

OK, so I have what will probably sound like a stupid question to most people. I am not a fish eater...occasionally I will use a can of tuna to make tuna salad but that's really about it. I am going on a date tonight with someone who has suggested a seafood restaurant. I am not crazy about seafood in any form, but I was hoping to get a recommendation from you all on a fish that is not overly "fishy" tasting. I would have asked that we go somewhere else, but it's a first date and a very nice restaurant, so I didn't want to offend him. Any recommendations that you can make would be much appreciated!

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Jasper
07-02-2007, 12:40 PM
I am somewhat like you, I will eat fish when I have to but prefer good old red meat any day!! Anyway, look the menu over carefully and look for anything that says it is a "whitefish." If the menu doesn't show anything as a whitefish then don't hesitate to ask the wait person for help. I also find that scallops tend not to be so fishy tasting. Also, fried fish tends not to taste as "fishy" because the batter and grease cover up a lot of the fish taste.

Ok, I realize that fried anything is not socially acceptable anymore but when a person is desperate we will try anything!!

alpro2
07-02-2007, 12:41 PM
I would suggest tuna steak (especially if you eat tuna from a can). One would usually eat it rare, but since you are not a "fish" person, ask for it medium. It is not fishy at all. :thumbsup:

MsMin
07-02-2007, 12:42 PM
Often seafood varies w/ fishiness for reasons other than species. Farm raised fish tend to have less fish taste b/c they are fed a specific diet (less algae) I marinate my fish to reduce the fishy flavor that I hate (don't know why I eat it:blush:)
Many undercooked fish will have a stronger flavor. I think tuna is the exception but I'm not a fan.
Fresher fish are also less fishy. So I could tell you that I love Mahi Mahi and you could still get a bad piece...sorry.
That's one thing I love about shrimp, at least down here I never get a strong one.
Can you go online and check out their menu????

MMFreak
07-02-2007, 01:04 PM
Although it is a seafood restaurant i am sure that they will have a chicken or beef entree. I have never been in a seafood restaurant that did not offer an alternative for someone in the party that was not real keen on the fish.

With that said though...Tilapia, Flounder, Cod all very very mild if it is FRESH. If the catch of the day is a fresh white fish go for it.

You can also call the restaurant up ahead of time and see what the have to offer and then do some internet research to find the milder flavor fish.

I hope this helps

:thumbsup:

JennyAnne
07-02-2007, 01:06 PM
Yes, I did go online and check the menu...they specialize in fresh, wood-grilled fish. There is quite a variety and I guess I shouldn't say that I don't like fish, I just never choose to eat it when given the option. What about tilapia? I thought I remember reading that this was not a very fishy fish. :D

MsMin
07-02-2007, 02:27 PM
From what I understand Tilapia is a farm raised fish therefore does not have the algae diet which can often make the fishy flavor. I would think it's pretty safe. Also many grilled fish are delicious. Good luck with the meal and the date:thumbsup:

Scar
07-02-2007, 02:30 PM
Tilapia is my favorite fish, very mild and tender.

It is supposedly the type of fish Jesus used to feed five thousand people.

Dedivah
07-02-2007, 02:37 PM
You can't go worn with Mahi-Mahi either.

-From a frequent fish eater:thumbsup:

JennyAnne
07-03-2007, 03:44 AM
Thank you everyone! I actually ended up getting the salmon which was delicious. The whole meal was great...it came with garlic mashed potatoes and mixed vegetables, which were really good. We split a chocolate dessert too. I will keep all of your suggestions in mind because from what he told me tonight, he is on a no-carb diet right now and so he said he eats a lot of fish. Overall, the date went very well. He was sweet and we had no shortage of things to talk about. That's a pretty good first date for someone who hasn't been on a date in over 8 years. :thumbsup:

Thanks again for all of your suggestions!

DizNee143
07-03-2007, 08:45 AM
Thank you everyone! I actually ended up getting the salmon which was delicious. The whole meal was great...it came with garlic mashed potatoes and mixed vegetables, which were really good. We split a chocolate dessert too. I will keep all of your suggestions in mind because from what he told me tonight, he is on a no-carb diet right now and so he said he eats a lot of fish. Overall, the date went very well. He was sweet and we had no shortage of things to talk about. That's a pretty good first date for someone who hasn't been on a date in over 8 years. :thumbsup:

Thanks again for all of your suggestions!

im glad your date went very good...and that you enjoyed dinner!!

offwego
07-04-2007, 01:46 PM
I'm glad your date went well.

DH took me to a seafood place on our first date because I was (at the time) a strict vegetarian and he figured fish didn't count...it's pretty funny now I'll tell ya!

Good luck that your future dates will work out. Hopefully you'll keep finding good menu options to go with his low-carb diet!