PDA

View Full Version : Which digital camera should I purchase for my upcoming trip?

kaliepooh
07-01-2007, 08:20 PM
I have 44 days left until we board the plane to see the Mouse.:mickey: I am still trying to decide what type of digital camera I should purchase. I have a Panasonic camcorder that takes digital photos but when I take the still photos they are not as vibrant as I want them to be. I think part of the problem maybe because the camcorder doesn’t have any light and I don’t really know how to operate it.

Now onto my questions of the day, I’m interested in purchasing one of the Canon PowerShot digital cameras. I read the specifications on the PowerShot SD600 and I like that one. The problem is there seem to be several newer models and I’m not sure which one I should purchase. I’m sooo confused. Can you guys suggest which one I should purchase? Can you also tell me why you prefer a certain model over the next one?

I know I ask for alot, soon you guys are going to demand pay from me. Don't worry I am scheduled to win the lottery any day now!

Thanks!!!:blush:

DizneyRox
07-01-2007, 08:32 PM
I have a Panasonic camcorder that takes digital photos but when I take the still photos they are not as vibrant as I want them to be. I think part of the problem maybe because the camcorder doesn’t have any light and I don’t really know how to operate it.
Actually, the problem is that camcorders take video, not still images. You need a camera, not a camcorder for pictures.

Now onto my questions of the day, I’m interested in purchasing one of the Canon PowerShot digital cameras. I read the specifications on the PowerShot SD600 and I like that one. The problem is there seem to be several newer models and I’m not sure which one I should purchase. I’m sooo confused. Can you guys suggest which one I should purchase?
Canon makes a good camera period. You will be hard pressed to make a bad choice.

Things to look consider.

1. Only look at optical zoom when making comparisons. Digital zoom is a joke and I make a point to turn it OFF on any camera I use. When others ask me for help I will also turn it off on their camera too, even if they don't ask.
2. More megapixels mean you can make bigger prints of whatever you take, OR more importantly, you can crop your pictures to make them better and still be able to print them out at a decent size. More megapixels also mean you need more storage.
3. Make sure you have enough storage for your trip. Memory is CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP these days, there is no excuse to not have more than enough memory cards for your trip.
4. You might want to look for a camera that allows you to save pictures in RAW mode. I have totally gotten away from jpg pictures. Post processing in RAW mode is really the way to go, but if you're looking to point and shoot and then e-mail your pics to family and friends, then forget I even mentioned RAW mode.

snifflesmcg
07-01-2007, 08:41 PM
Let me tell you this. I have a Canon Powershot and I LOVE it. I have the A530 model. It has zoom and I can also take video with this as well. The batteries last forever (in digital camera comparisson). I would highly recommend it! :thumbsup:

nicole48040
07-01-2007, 08:52 PM
I know the last post did not help answer your question so I'll give it a try:
My family are HUGE fans of Canon and you cannot go wrong with them.
My personal favorite Canon has Been the Power Shot S2 IS and now the Rebel (But the Rebel is too much camera to be dealing with on that type of vacation). The biggest points that I would look for is High mega pixels, at least 6x zoom, and most important IMAGE STABILIZATION! I bought an elph recently without it and UCK!!!! Don't compromise the features that are important to you, keep looking and you'll find a camera with what your looking for;)

brogan54
07-01-2007, 09:14 PM
i just bought a canon a 560 it is great and i also bought my for our trip sep 20-oct 3 pop
i had bought a fuji and a panasonic and returned both it takes awesome pics and video but make sure you have plenty of memory cards enjoy!!!:cool::marg:

mrsgaribaldi
07-01-2007, 09:33 PM
I have a Kodak V705 that I love. It's got 7.1 mps. I love it. I had the Kodak V603 and loved it but when I fell in the Swiss Family Tree House it got broken. Either one is awesome:thumbsup:

It also takes great videos too.

johnsouthjersey
07-01-2007, 10:48 PM
Just back this week from 8 days at WDW with my new Nikon D80 dSLR (10.2 MP). Very pleased with the results, especially the "Wishes" fireworks from the CG rooftop and macro shots of the flowers at AK and the Poly. I bought a digital point-and-shoot about 3 years ago, but couldn't adjust to the shutter delay inherent in many of the point-and-shoot digital cameras at that time. The D80 has no perceptable shutter delay, and shoots at 3-frames-per-second in continuous mode. I found that feature to be an absolute joy when shooting the character meals with the kids. No camera stress, tons of great shots. It has "Automatic" and various preset modes that will cover the majority of shooting conditions. The D80 price is another matter, I am still mending fences with Mrs. southjersey on that front. Also consider a case to hold both your camcorder and your new digital camera. The Lowepro Nova 4 will hold a dSLR, a digital camcorder, and assorted gadgets. The well-padded sholder strap made it comfortable to carry around the parks. Even on the 8th day, no pain or fatigue. Intercot does not allow direct links to other websites, but if you haven't already, check out "steves-digicams" dot com and "dpreview" dot com for pro reviews, and "pricegrabber" dot com for price comparisons. dpreview has great user forums, sort of like an Intercot for cameras. All these sites cover your Canon Powershot SD600. Best of luck, and happy shooting with your new camera!

kaliepooh
07-02-2007, 11:13 AM
I think I've got it now. I know I need to get a camera with good optical zoom. I only need high megapixels if I'm going to crop the pictures or make them larger. I've learned that Canon cameras are good. Also, I should get a camera with picture stabilization.

I think I'm going to buy the Canon SD800 with picture stabilizaton. Would this camera be good enough and not too much trouble to operate on my long awaited Disney vacation?:cloud9:

Thanks for all of your help I really appreciate every minute!!!!:D

MsMin
07-02-2007, 12:27 PM
have you gone to the cnet site to compare them? I love that site and check out cameras esp and other electronics before I buy. They have critiques of each camera and you can compare the ones you like and they explain the features. I gave my dd the canon SD630 (does not have a viewfinder only the larger LCD screen) before we went to WDW last Dec. and I love the shots. I gave my son the Canon Rebel XT and it is wonderful but many more $$ (these were Christmas presents and yes she wanted other things:blush:) I was very close to getting a canon myself but I was so impressed.

BigRedDad
07-02-2007, 02:18 PM
Just my $.02 on this issue.

First, do not mistake megapixels with image quality. A 6Mp camera can take a much better picture than a 12Mp camera depending on the sensor. Mp's are a factor for pictures larger than 8x11. Cropping will have some affect on Mp's too, but a better image with a higher zoom camera will eliminate the need for crops.

I went through 3 weeks of looking for a P&S camera. I came to the conclusion after reading everything and viewing everything I could that a P&S camera will not have everything you want or wish to have. With that said, there are several good cameras out there at a good price. Probably the best camera for picture quality is the Fujifilm F31FD (not the F30, F40, F40FD). This is the P&S camera that all others were compared to for image quality. Here is what my decision process was:

1. Canon: very good lenses, good pictures, older models are better than the new ones (Digic II processor better than Digic III processor).
2. Sony: Image quality is just not there, tends to be more expensive.
3. Panasonic: I purchased the TZ3 because of the 28mm-280mm zoom (10x). Image quality is slightly lacking, but not too noticeable compared to Canon.
4. Fujifilm F31fd: This should have been what I purchased, but I needed the longer zoom. It can be found for ~$230 before the $30 rebate through July 31.

If you want to look around at reviews, you can look at DPreview. That will give you the best info. Just remember, none of the P&S cameras will do everything. You will need to weigh your needs and wants accordingly.

kaliepooh
07-03-2007, 08:36 AM
Hey guys I'm looking at Pansonic cameras too. I've taken everything into advisement. So I'm exploring another brand of digital camera.

Minniemouse27
07-03-2007, 09:12 AM
We purchased a Canon PowerShot SD750 a couple of months ago and :love: it!

We opted for the 750 over the 800 specifically because the 750 has a 3" viewing screen on the back (and no viewfinder) which we preferred to the 2.5" screen.

I have nothing but amazing things to say about this camera.

We also went with a camera in the SD line as opposed to the A line because of the lithium-ion batteries over the AAs.

Good luck!