PDA

View Full Version : Terminally ill child- not with make A Wish

tundramom
07-01-2007, 08:17 PM
Not sure if this is the right place to post, please move if necessary. A coworker of my
DS-I-L is taking his terminally ill child to WDW. They are staying on property, but not connected with MAW. That being said, what advice can you offer for managing attraction lines etc. (she is in a wheelchair). The other question they have is: Is there anyway to arrange a meeting with Daisy Duck? This is what she wants more than anything. Thanks for the help:thumbsup::number1::mickey:

ISLE39
07-01-2007, 08:25 PM
from what i understand they can go to any guet services at the hotels or parks and explain the situation to get a special pass to pass up all lines. as for arranging meeting with a character im sure if you explained to someone at guest services the situation im certain wdw would do something to make a wish come true AFTERALL ITS A YEAR OF A MILLION DREAMS

TheRustyScupper
07-01-2007, 08:47 PM
Please send me your/their email address.
I can give you people at WDW to contact.
They specialize in such situations.
. . . they can give freebies
. . . they can make special arrangements

PAYROLL PRINCESS
07-01-2007, 08:55 PM
In addition to whatever info RustyScupper is going to give you there is also the Guest Assistance Card that you can get. Bringing a note from the child's doctor can help.

iluvdizney2
07-01-2007, 09:15 PM
It was my understanding that not much could be done unless they were with MAW and GKTW. With that said, I agree that guest services is the best way to go.
We had MAW for my daughter and it was special. They acted on her wish fairly fast.
You may suggest they look into it as it can be a huge help.
We are holding off on my sons MAW to be sure that WDW is his desire (why wouldnt it be!??)
When we went there with him we had a guest assistance card but it was pretty useless as it just said that we could access the atraction through the general line....Be sure they specify their needs...
Also a little tid bit we found out....if she is unable to eat much or is feeding tube dependant, get a note from the Dr and they will be charged a child price (if older) or may not be required to get a meal, but can share with a parent at no cost. My son is TPN, and tube dependant and they were very good about that.
Best of luck to them, and if you find out any other things be sure to share...I hope this girl has the dream of a lifetime!!!!! As a mom who understands, I really hope they all enjoy this time.

TheRustyScupper
07-02-2007, 10:33 AM
. . . It was my understanding that not much could be done unless they were with MAW and GKTW . . .

1) Yes, this is a common misunderstanding.
2) First, MAW is not Disney related.
3) This is an independent non-profit.
4) They may get WDW volounters, but aren't Disney.

5) But, Disney has a department that also does this.
6) It is little known, because they don't publicize.
7) But, they are great people.
8) Another super-duper Disney touch.
9) And to think it is somewhat un-sung.

Hayden's Dad
07-02-2007, 11:22 AM
Hello,
My son is terminally ill. We will probably loose him before the end of the year and like your friend we did not qualify for MAW (he is to young) Anyway. We made a trip to WDW in May of this year and I have to say we were pleasantly surprised. My son is in a wheelchair as well and we were advised by a CM to get on e of the cards from guest services that specifies that his stroller was a wheelchair. This helped us get on rides and when we showed it to a CM with a character they usually moved us to the handicapped entrance or other special entrances so we did not have to wait very long. I would have your friends find our from Guest Services where and when Daisy will be out and find a CM near her and show them the card they will take it from there. One thing I found was the characters really seemed to understand Hayden's condition and really made him and us feel special. We have memories that will be with us forever. I would also recommed getting the disabilites gudie at each park, this will tell them all the rides that they may have to transfer out of the wheelchair and the ones they can stay in. If they need any additional advice or if I can be of any help please let me know. I can honestly say I understand what they are going through. In the meantime they have my prayers and pixie dust.:pixie::pixie::pixie:

tundramom
07-02-2007, 10:53 PM
Thanks Isle93, Paroll Princess, and ilovedisney2:mickey:
To TheRustyScupper: thanks a million, I pm'd you my e-mail
To Hayden's Dad- thanks for the reply and my heart breaks for you. I can't imagine being in your shoes. I'm sure you'll cherish your Disney memories forever.

mttafire
07-02-2007, 11:30 PM
Hello,
My son is terminally ill. We will probably loose him before the end of the year and like your friend we did not qualify for MAW (he is to young) Anyway. We made a trip to WDW in May of this year and I have to say we were pleasantly surprised. My son is in a wheelchair as well and we were advised by a CM to get on e of the cards from guest services that specifies that his stroller was a wheelchair. This helped us get on rides and when we showed it to a CM with a character they usually moved us to the handicapped entrance or other special entrances so we did not have to wait very long. I would have your friends find our from Guest Services where and when Daisy will be out and find a CM near her and show them the card they will take it from there. One thing I found was the characters really seemed to understand Hayden's condition and really made him and us feel special. We have memories that will be with us forever. I would also recommed getting the disabilites gudie at each park, this will tell them all the rides that they may have to transfer out of the wheelchair and the ones they can stay in. If they need any additional advice or if I can be of any help please let me know. I can honestly say I understand what they are going through. In the meantime they have my prayers and pixie dust.:pixie::pixie::pixie:

My goodness is was tough reading this post. We have a 2y.o. son and another "girl" on the way. I just cant even comprehend the feelings or emotion i would have if i knew id be loosing my child. All i can say is, May God be with your family and im so happy you were able to spend a great time together at Disneyworld. I am at a loss for words. Shawn :crying:

merlinmagic4
07-03-2007, 08:13 AM
I hope they have a great trip! We went with MAW and stayed at GKTW in 2003. We were also told that in the future we could still obtain a GAP if our son needed one (he never did) in the future. Disney is WONDERFUL with special children and they will come through for this child. I hope you'll let us know how this trip goes!

dixielandings
07-03-2007, 10:25 AM
This thread is breaking my heart. But it's great that Disney seems to have several ways to bring some fun and comfort to these families going through such difficulty. Prayers and blessings to each of them and to your family, Hayden's Dad.

EmcDuckRN
07-03-2007, 12:04 PM
From what I know the KEY thing is the official letter from the child's doctor (on letterhead with contact info available) with specified limitations, etc. It is what Disney uses to ensure that the system isn't abused and that accomodations are made that will help.

Make the contacts, have the letter, Disney will deliver the magic.

This is why I have such a tough time with pediatrics.

TheRustyScupper
07-03-2007, 01:21 PM
. . . To TheRustyScupper: thanks a million, I pm'd you my e-mail . . .

Reply to email sent.