PDA

View Full Version : Another DME question

PrincessEmmasMommy
07-01-2007, 01:04 PM
DH is worried about allowing other people to ensure that our bags make it to Orlando. Can we get our own bags off baggage claim and then allow DME to bring them to the resort as they would normally do if getting them for us later? We don't want to schlep them with us on our bus, we just want to know who is responsible if something is missing (the airline or DME). Thanks!
Jen

disneyfan328
07-01-2007, 01:13 PM
yes, I believe that you can go and get your own bags if you want to and then take them on the bus with you. I have heard of others doing this. So far with all the posts I've read, I've not heard of anyone not ever getting their bags. I have heard that it can take several hours, but that's why we are packing what we need for the first day in our carry on bags. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Strmchsr
07-01-2007, 02:21 PM
If you want to get your own bags, just leave the yellow DME tags off and pick them up at the baggage claim then go to the DME counter to check in. However, as disneyfan328 stated, I don't believe I've heard a claim of DME losing the luggage. You'd be quite safe to let it show up at your room "magically." We've had a great experience with it both times.

faline
07-01-2007, 03:42 PM
You can retrieve your own bags at the baggage carousel. As noted, you would need to leave off the luggage tags you receive from Magical Express. If you use the tags, the luggage will be pulled long before it ever gets to the baggage carousel.

Once you've picked up your luggage at the baggage carousel, you won't be able to turn the bags over to Magical Express for handling. They would need to ride with you in the hold of the bus that transports you to your resort. Once at your resort, you can claim your bags or allow Disney to store them for you until your room is ready.

Pocahontas
07-01-2007, 06:11 PM
Like others have said, it's no problem getting the bags yourself and bringing them with you on the bus to your resort. However, unless it's really going to worry you or your DH, I would just sit back and enjoy the DME service. I have had friends and family use this service along with my own family and none of us had any problems. Even if your luaggage misses your connecting flight, it will get there on another flight and because of the DME tags, they'll make it to your resort. Good luck and have a great time!

CleveRocks
07-02-2007, 12:41 PM
DH is worried about allowing other people to ensure that our bags make it to Orlando. Can we get our own bags off baggage claim and then allow DME to bring them to the resort as they would normally do if getting them for us later? We don't want to schlep them with us on our bus, we just want to know who is responsible if something is missing (the airline or DME). Thanks!
JenYou've gotten great information here, I'll just add to it.

Yes, you can claim your own bags -- just DON'T put the DME luggage tags on them (tagged bags are pulled behind-the-scenes and do not go out onto the baggage claim carousels).

No, if you claim your own bags you CAN'T put them back into the DME system. If you get them from baggage claim, you are now responsible for them. You claim 'em, you schlep 'em. The driver will load them into (under) the bus, and will unload them when you arrive at your resort.

The following info might make your husband feel better ....

DME luggage tags have barcodes. Those barcodes are scanned a total of 5 times between airplane and inside of resort room. DME-tagged bags are pulled from the luggage stream and are transported to a special Disney sorting facility. They are scanned upon arrival, then scanned a second time when they are grouped by resort as they are loaded into locked steel cages. The cage itself is scanned as it's loaded onto a dedicated DME luggage delivery truck. The truck itself is tracked by GPS. The cages are dropped off at the proper resorts. When the Bell Services/Luggage Assistance CMs unload the cages the bags are scanned a fourth time. They are scanned a fifth and final time (using a wireless handheld device) after the CM carries them into your resort room (which occurs whether you are in there or not).

Disney knows where your bags are at all times.

To answer your other question, what happens if Disney never gets your bags?

When you check in at the Disney Welcome Center at the airport, they will ask how many bags you checked with your airline and if you put the DME tags on them. If all ofyour bags don't show up as scanned-in in the DME database within a reasonable amount of time, DME will start searching for them behind-the-scenes and also with your airline's baggage claim office. If it turns out that the bags never made it to the airport, that's the airline's responsibility, but DME's job doesn't end there. They file the "missing bag" claim for you, as your agent (if you were waiting at baggage claim and you bag didn't show up, you'd have to wait in line at the airline's baggage office, fill out forms, etc. -- DME does all of this for you). When the airline finds your bag at, say, MCI (Kansas City), they will fly it to Orlando (MCO), and when it shows up at Orlando they will get the bag to DME, and then DME will deliver it with the rest of the current DME bags that are just arriving from other flights. You'll never know your bag got misdirected. Well, you'll notice it arrived much later than the 3 hours after resort arrival that is advertised. You'll probably be mad at DME for "causing" the delay, when in fact, in this example, it was DME who saved you a lot of time and hassle by doing the dirty work for you.

Hope this helps!

PrincessEmmasMommy
07-02-2007, 01:12 PM
Wow! Your post makes me feel so much better. I will definately show DH this evening and I'm sure he'll go for it! Your post was so informative!
Thank you so much!
Jen

Lizzie
07-02-2007, 02:45 PM
I always stress about our bags not showing up. But after reading these posts I feel like I can travel stress free for the first time. I am so excited to use Magical Express for the first time.

Jasminegirlsmom
07-02-2007, 08:27 PM
On our last trip DD and I used Magical Express. DD's bags made it to the room within a few hours, but mine weren't with them. We went to the parks and didn't return to the room until after midnight, still no bags. We reported it to the front desk and spent several minutes describing what the bags looked like and contained (I'm not sure why and am afraid to guess). Of course I then had to replace those items I needed for the night, like contact lens solution and case. The good news, at around 2am we heard a knock at the door and my bags were delivered. Moral of the story, if there is anything you MUST have make sure you carry it with you.