PDA

View Full Version : Tipping Car Services

PrincessEmmasMommy
07-01-2007, 07:15 AM
Hi! We ilve in Jersey outside of Newark Airport and we're using a towncar service to get to the airport on Saturday around 5 a.m. We usually have family drive us or park there, but since this is a long and early trip we're not doing that this time. My question is how much do we tip the driver? The trip costs $49, and we have a $10 off coupon. Thanks!
Jen

CleveRocks
07-01-2007, 09:55 AM
Hi! We ilve in Jersey outside of Newark Airport and we're using a towncar service to get to the airport on Saturday around 5 a.m. We usually have family drive us or park there, but since this is a long and early trip we're not doing that this time. My question is how much do we tip the driver? The trip costs $49, and we have a $10 off coupon. Thanks!
Jen
It's all personal choice. My choice would be to give the driver a $10 bill unless there was something about his service that I didn't care for.

For a one-way trip, a 20% tip isn't unheard of. 15% would be $7.50, but I personally wouldn't get involved with coins, or even $1 bills.

Again, just my personal view, but I'd be deciding between a $5 bill and a $10 bill, but since you said it's a long ride, I personally would feel cheap giving the guy a fin.

Also, I wouldn't factor-in the coupon in terms of determining the tip. Just like in a restaurant, I'd tip based on the full amount rather than based on a discounted amount, as it shouldn't negatively impact the driver/server because I have a coupon.

You'll likely get a wide range of opinions here. I'm not saying my opinion is "right" ... I'm just saying that it's mine.

faline
07-01-2007, 11:12 AM
I would figure 20% of the original cost - approximately $10.00.

RockChalkKimball
07-01-2007, 05:58 PM
I read somewhere that you should tip $1-$2 per bag. Since they would be handling them twice, I would say $10.00 is about right. Alot depends on the service. I've had wonderful drivers and lousy drivers. I'm a good tipper when service is good.

spoiledraf
07-03-2007, 04:45 AM
Picking you up at 5, which means he's getting up at 3, getting probably 7 bucks an hour and not likely having any work after he drops you off so early. So he makes abot 15 bucks for the first half the day. Easily $10.00 tip.

spoiledraf
07-03-2007, 04:54 AM
Picking you up at 5, which means he's getting up at 3, getting probably 7 bucks an hour and not likely having any work after he drops you off so early. So he makes abot 15 bucks for the first half the day. Easily $10.00 tip.

I have a similar dilemma. Fishing excursions are expensive ($400 for 4 hours) and I go twice every time we go. We go on the premium so it's included along with a lot of other recreational things we do so I'm getting off cheap. Unfortunately, unlike dining, the tip is not included and 18% of $400 is a steep tip. I'll go $30 but thats about it. I'm I cheap?

I kind of brought it up last time and my guide, Missy, said her tips usually only cover her gas money to and from the park (about 40 miles each way) which leads me to believe she isn't getting rich doing this. Seems like I'm in line but Deep sea fishing trips in the Carolinas tell you up front they expect 15 to 20% tips for their deck hands and those trips are $1000 and up.

PrincessEmmasMommy
07-03-2007, 05:45 AM
I'm glad you brougnt that up. My husband and family are doing the fishing thing too. They are only doing the 2 hour ($235). I was figuring $20 or so for this. Maybe his dad and brother will chip in too since we are paying for the fishing trip. Good luck!
Jen

spoiledraf
07-03-2007, 01:28 PM
They will love it. Nearly every fish is 4 pounds and up. But like any day on the lake, if the fish aren't hungry, it's a long day. You may be surprised when you catch more fish right where you dock the boat! Seems to be one of the best places with the biggest fish.:D

Have a grat time. I'd love to have a job as a fishing guide at Disney. At least it looks like a lot of fun. But the grass is always greener....