PDA

View Full Version : splitting up the kids for WDW trip

septembergirl
06-30-2007, 05:32 PM
Hello:
Each year my parents will take 1 or 2 of my 4 children on vacation or even to spend a couple of days with them. They seem to really enjoy having the one on one time with them and have less problems with arguing and so forth. I was actually considering doing this myself with my kids for a couple of trips to WDW. I wonder if they would have a better time if the schedule and events planned were more catered to each of them (which would be a lot easier to do with just 1 or 2!) Of course, it would be cheaper also. Then I think what's a family vacation if the whole family is not there???
Has anyone ever done this and how did you handle it?
Thanks.

NewmanFamily6
06-30-2007, 05:41 PM
I also have 4 kids but I just could not go without the whole gang. Mine are 10, 6, & 4 year old twins. Every trip so far we find time where the older can enjoy more of her stuff. I guess I just like having everyone together. I also don't think my kids would take it very well if I tried to split them up. Especially the little ones they would not understand why they could go.

MNMS
06-30-2007, 06:03 PM
Personally I could not go on a family vacation without the whole family. Bring them all :-)

llamaface
06-30-2007, 06:18 PM
I could never split them up! I have 3 (11, 9, 6) and they are all so incredibly attached to one another, they would have a miserable time! So would I!

Dizneyfan
06-30-2007, 07:49 PM
I have took my dd(6) a few times without my son. He was an infant one time and only 2 the next. After he reached the age of 3 I took him. I felt sooo guilty leaving him before but, I knew that he was really too young to even know. I don't think that I would be able to split them up again. They are now 4 and 6. I think that it wouldn't feel like a family vacation without the both of them.:mickey:

LoriMistress
06-30-2007, 08:09 PM
I don't think it would be an issue if one adult took a kid or two to check out certain rides/attractions that they wanted while the other adult took the other children to what the other children wanted to see. It's a nice way to spend some quality one-on-one time with your kids. Maybe do this for one or two days and meet up for lunch or dinner.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
07-01-2007, 12:12 AM
I have three kids too, DS almost 10, DS 7 and DD almost 4. We always travel as a family and would not do it any other way. Not that the kids would let me take only one or two of them to WDW, even if I wanted to!! ;)

Once we get there we do pretty much everything together. But, when it is time for the boys to ride things like Space Mountain, that my daughter can not ride, we split up for awhile. DH will take them on SM while I take Taylor on COP, etc. We will also split the boys up too. I will take my middle son for his 20th POTC ride while DH takes the oldest and DD on the Jungle Cruise. It is great for them to get to do things that they want and it keeps everyone happy.

Have a great time with whatever you choose!

crazypoohbear
07-01-2007, 09:37 AM
I have thought of doing this myself!
I have 1 DS who's very adventurous (Like ME):thumbsup:
and 1 DS who thinks the dip in pirates makes it a thrill ride:secret::blush:
I asked them last year separately what they would think if I took just one each trip to really make it special. They both said "but what about my brother?!!"
They are 5 years apart and this year will be 13 and 18. I really thought they would jump at going with just me and themselves but....
I think next year after #1 son goes off to college maybe #2 would consider but???

I think you should ask your kids if they would like it better in smaller numbers or do they like going as a group.
Good luck with whatever you decide

RockChalkKimball
07-01-2007, 05:55 PM
I have actually done this with my both my kids. It wasn't really intentional, but worked out really well. Last year DS was 13 and DD was 18. DD got the chance to go to a leadership camp on a scholarship over spring break. DH had to work, so DS and I didn't have anything to do. So.... I suggested a trip to WDW for just the two of us. The best part was letting him plan the whole thing. He picked the resort (POP) and chose which park he wanted to go to each day. I even let him choose the places he wanted to eat. I let him decide each day what to do, which rides, which shows. It was great, not having to worry about keeping everyone happy.
Six months later, my job sent me to a conference in Orlanda. It happened to be during my DD's fall break from college, so she went with me. We only had one day for a park, so I let her choose (Epcot). I made ADR's, which she changed once we got there! Again, I just followed her lead. It was a really special time for us.
My DH enjoys WDW, but he can take it or leave it, so he was fine with us going without him. Given the chance again, I would not hesitate.

Minniemouse27
07-01-2007, 06:40 PM
Dd (6yo this month) has been to WDW twice (15mo & 28mo). We are all (me, dh, dd and ds) going to WDW this December and ds will be turning 2yo while we are there.

We never go to WDW in the summer. It's too hot for me to really enjoy myself and w/ little kids I prefer the cooler months of November and December. There is little to no chance that we will ever take a family vacation to WDW so that dd will be able to celebrate her birthday (July) there.

So, I got to thinking that it may be okay to do a quick weekend for her bday next year (when she turns 7yo) w/ just me and her. We will upgrade our MYW tix to APs and try and swing the summer AP discount for a room. Dh is onboard w/ the plan.

I would like to do this sooner than later so dd still has a lot of the "magic" left in her. Although dh points out that at 39 I haven't lost any of the magic yet! :mickey:

Maybe in another 5yrs I'll take a quick trip w/ ds when he is 7yo too!

I think it is fine to take parent/child trips that aren't the entire family. Dh and I do special things one on one w/ our kids all the time at home.

We try and get down to WDW at least every other year so I don't see a problem w/ interim trips that don't include everyone... as long as the other children get the same chances for one on ones as well.

KAT1811
07-01-2007, 07:24 PM
Personally I could not go on a family vacation without the whole family. Bring them all :-)

:ditto: :humph: I would never be able to enjoy myself, not to mention how sad my other DDs would be if they got left home on a trip to WDW!!! :sob:

septembergirl
07-01-2007, 07:50 PM
The thing is my DS12 says he is not really interested in going at all. We all went 3 years ago but he could not take the heat:flame: and crowds:crowd: and ended up staying back with my mother most days to swim (she avoids the heat too). I think when we go in September, it will be more pleasant as far as the crowds go although I know the days will still be pretty hot. Even so, we are from the South and used to heat. (It's just the :flame::crowd: combo that is unbearable.)

Anyway, DS14 could take it or leave it too. But DS9 and DD3 are as obsessed as I am :blush: about WDW and are chomping at the bit to go! This is the only reason I was considering splitting them up so as not to drag along someone who's not really into it :humph: and put a damper on everyone's time. Having said that, I do think :unsure: he will enjoy himself once he is there but believe it or not, there are those who really hate things like WDW (amusement parks, etc.) :noway: !

spoiledraf
07-02-2007, 09:22 AM
We took our two when they were Jr. and Soph. in high school. My son could have stayed home as he had little interest in it. If they really don't want to be there, because of some other interest at home or they are so young they don't know what they are missing. I say make the split. As long as you have a place for them at haome with someone who doesn't mind watching over them, It may be best for everybody. Although he enjoyed some previous visits, my son really kind of made the whole trip a pain as he complained most of the time and never went with us again.

But I'm looking forward to going with ours all back together! Got them all married off and now I'm hoping to put together a trip with "3" generations! And I don't plan on being the papa staying back at the pool watching the little ones who can't do much. Thats Nanas job! And she will enjoy it. As for my sons attitude, he still isn't excited for himself and neither is his wife, so maybe just a day or two at the parks for them, she has family on the coast that they will visit and we may just keep the little ones with us. Break them in right!

Hopefully fall of 2009.

Beach Club Babe
07-02-2007, 12:15 PM
I think a lot depends on the ages of the kids. I too have 4 kids and we are "in the middle" of taking 2 trips with them. In May, Myself, DH, DD#2 who is 14 and DD#3 who is 4 went on a trip to WDW. In August, I will be returning with my DS who is 18, DD#1 who is 17, and DD#3 again.

When my older kids were younger, I don't think I could have split them, because they definitely would have had their feeling hurt, and I would have felt too guilty. Now that most of them are older, they can understand the need, without have their feelings hurt. I am bringing the 4 year old on both trips, becuase at this age, I know I'd have a lousy time with feeling guilty and missing WDW through her eyes.

Otherwise,it just seems to make more sense for us since we still have to get 2 rooms, but by splitting the stay, we do not have to pay for it all at once.