PDA

View Full Version : Overpriced Character Meal for 10 yr old??

MickeyMousse
06-29-2007, 08:52 PM
I made my ressies for the Garden Grill at The Land in Epcot - I can deal with the cost of $27.99 per adult but to charge that amount for ages 10 and up is crazy! :fit: My son is 10 and eats like a rabbit...he certainly would not eat $28 worth of food and he'd rather eat the kids meal anyway! I am rethinking :confused: my choice even though it is a family favorite. Or should I just say he's 9?? :secret:

SBETigg
06-29-2007, 08:54 PM
My daughter was not a big eater, but we figured we were paying for the experience at times like that and just went for it. They have to make the cut off somewhere, and I have known plenty of ten-year-olds who can out-eat adults. I'm sorry it's not working out for you.

biodtl
06-29-2007, 09:16 PM
It can be a pain sometimes, but like SBETigg said, they have to cut off somewhere and if it were 11 or 12 or 13, there would still be folks whose kids didn't eat enough for it to be worth it.

marlyn
06-29-2007, 09:29 PM
My boys are 12 and they don't eat much in one sitting either. But I just **** it up and figure it is an amazing experience.

What I did last time was took them to character breakfasts instead. The price was more reasonable $18.99 and we went later in morning so it was more of a brunch.

I know Garden Grill only does dinner so I guess it depends on how much you like it...or if maybe you want to try something else.

I don't agree with saying he is 9...my feeling is that, not only is it cheating the system, but it isn't setting an example for my boys. How can I tell them to be honest if I am also telling them "shhh, if they ask you....you are 9, not 10" That sends a mixed message IMO.

I know the cost is staggering at times when we have to pay adult fare for our kids....but I knew that when I went so I just budgeted accordingly.

mainemajor
06-29-2007, 09:57 PM
Having done both breakfast and dinner at the garden grill with my boys when they were younger the breakfast was far better choice. Price was more reasonable and we had more interaction with chip and dale. I would do breakfast in a heqartbeat and skip the dinner there:mickey:

packofjedis
06-30-2007, 07:49 AM
I, too, have a now 10 yr old who eats nothing. My thinking is that it's just part of the cost of the trip. It's exactly like when they turn 3, and all of a sudden you're paying for their tickets in.

However, I love Garden Grill and would keep it for dinner. I haven't been there for breakfast, but we had great character interaction and a great meal for dinner.

Becky'sMom
06-30-2007, 09:02 AM
My 17 year old stepson is wasted money in ANY restaurant! He only eats pasta with butter sauce and maybe some steak if it doesn't have any kind of sauce or marinade! My 4 year old daughter, if in the right mood, can put away an enormous amount of food. You're really paying for the one on one with the characters.
As far as lying, I agree that it sets a bad example for your son. My stepson's mom taught him to lie about his age when he turned 13 (many restaurants charge kids prices for 12 and under) and I had to tell him before we walked into a restaurant that if asked how old he was he should just tell them the truth.
(I know I'm the same mom who's trying to get my 4 year old to pass for 1/2 inch taller than she is, but I haven't told her to lie to anyone if they ask her how tall she is)

JPL
06-30-2007, 10:47 AM
When it comes to the Character Meals you are definately paying for the time with the characters and the interactions. I would look at it this was you are paying half for the food and half for the Characters which brings the cost of the meal down to $14 :thumbsup:

ElenitaB
06-30-2007, 10:53 AM
When not on the DDP, one way of lowering the cost of meals at WDW (Disney character or just with the characters in your travelling party ;) ) is to go for lunch. The menus vary, but only a little in most cases, and you still have the experience of being there. For example, dinner at GG is $27.99 for ages 10 and up; lunch is $20.99. Not a huge difference but still a savings.

I've been sorely tempted in the past to say that my DS was younger than he actually is, but I agree with Lynne about sending them mixed messages.