PDA

View Full Version : Ice Packs allowed on plane?

TikiGoddess
06-29-2007, 08:11 PM
Hi all,

Our flight to FL is during lunch time. I was planning on bringing a full lunch (sandwiches, yogurt, snacks) on the plane in our soft sided cooler. I usually use the hard plastic type of ice packs to keep everything cool. Does anyone know if these are permitted through security? I looked on the TSA website but can't find anything specifically about ice packs.

TikIG

kakn7294
06-29-2007, 09:17 PM
I don't know for sure, but I believe that they are only allowed through to keep medications cold and that people are even being given a hard time about those. My suggestion is to take the ice packs out and leave them in the car but bring plastic baggies. Once through security, ask for ice at one of the restaurants and fill the baggies to make your own ice packs.

crazypoohbear
06-29-2007, 09:24 PM
I don't think they will allow this, unless the ice pack is really small, Under the 3 oz. limit. I would go with the suggestiion of getting the ice in a baggie at one of the counters.

Marilyn Michetti
06-29-2007, 09:41 PM
Hmmmm....good question. I know you can't take drinks past security, even if they're sealed. I can't imagine what they might say about yogurt, but I KNOW you can take sandwiches. The worst they can do is make you throw away the ice pack. If you made it through security with a cold sandwich, you're halfway there. We just buy something before we board, except for grapes and apples.;)

Isn't this a sad world?:(

CleveRocks
06-30-2007, 12:16 AM
Hi all,

Our flight to FL is during lunch time. I was planning on bringing a full lunch (sandwiches, yogurt, snacks) on the plane in our soft sided cooler. I usually use the hard plastic type of ice packs to keep everything cool. Does anyone know if these are permitted through security? I looked on the TSA website but can't find anything specifically about ice packs.

TikIG
Ice packs won't be permitted past security because they are filled with gel, and gels are a no-no these days. Your yogurt won't be permitted past security because yogurt is a liquid. And if you were thinking of bringing drinks ... well, just forget that.

Sandwiches, huh? A PB&J sandwich? No problem. A jar of peanut butter, or packets of peanut butter and of jelly? PROBLEM.

A turkey sandwich with mustard on it? No problem. A turkey sandwich and some foil packets of mustard? PROBLEM.

A tuna salad sandwich? No problem. A tuna salad sandwich and some extra packets of mayo? PROBLEM.

The only liquids/gels/aerosols permitted past security are those in 3 ounce or smaller containers, with those containers fitting comfortably inside a clear plastic quart-sized zip-top baggie, one such baggie per ticketed passenger. Even if there was such a thing as an ice pack 3 ounces or smaller, chances are the "container" (the outside of the ice pack) would not have its size printed on the label, and TSA agents won't stand there and try to judge the volume of a container ... if it's not labeled, it's not traveling with you. Also, even if you could otherwise take it, it would have to be declared separately, in that zip-top baggie, and would not be permitted to pass through security inside the cooler.

SUGGESTION: Before leaving home, make some homemade ice packs with ice cubes and zip-top bags. Just before you get to security, ditch the homemade ice packs. Just throw them away, bye-bye. There will be enough residual "coolness" in your cooler so that you food won't spoil before you eat it on the plane an hour or so later.

Tinkerfreak
06-30-2007, 07:10 AM
I know the food in the airport is expensive but we just find it easier to buy something to eat before we board. None of us are big eaters so we split alot of stuff. It is much easier than worrying about a cooler and we don't like to fly on a really full stomach anyway. We do pack a few snacks to nibble on during our layover so we never seem to be real hungry.

chick20679
06-30-2007, 07:14 AM
Buying food in the airport can be EXSPENSIVE, so I can see why you want to pack a lunch. But, as said, you won't get through the checkpoint with ice packs, so your best bet will be to pack sandwiches and snack that don't need to kept cool. (PB & J anyone?). Or, as was suggested, keep the ice packs in the cooler until you plan on going through the checkpoint, but I'd plan on eating the food shortly after (I'm kind of paranoid about things like that).

spoiledraf
06-30-2007, 07:53 AM
Freeze everything and they will all be their own ice packs. Some will thaw faster than others and continue to keep things cool. If it's a decent insulated bag, it should keep them cool for quite a while, especially if you keep ice packs in with them right up to going into the airport , then just leave them in the car or if the baggie type as mentioned, toss them.

Not to sound judgemental, but if you can afford all those trips to Disney including Disney Paris, I think you can spring for some airpot food anyway.

vamaggie
06-30-2007, 09:16 AM
If you want to bring yogurt, I think individual Go-Gurts are <3 oz each. Put them in your 1 qt ziploc bag. Freeze them. Use them (in the ziploc bag) as packs for the cooler and them take them out before you go through security and present the ziploc bag. It goes back into the cooler when through security. We find sandwiches never seem to hold up well so we tend to do more cheese sticks, PB crackers, fruit stuff for the airport. Good Luck and have a great trip!!:mickey:

TikiGoddess
06-30-2007, 03:05 PM
Not to sound judgemental, but if you can afford all those trips to Disney including Disney Paris, I think you can spring for some airpot food anyway.

The point is not necessarily the money. I would rather eat healthy food from home rather than airport food that tends to be mostly fast food. Plus our flight leaves at 10:15am. So if we plan on having our lunch at noon, I don't want to have to eat soggy sandwiches and fries that we purchased two hours ago.

And one of the reasons that we can afford our trips is because we save money by bringing our own lunches. Sorry to say but your message did sound judgemental.

Anyway, thanks for the tips everyone! I will look into the Gogurt packs. That would be a nice treat for the girls. I like the idea of freezing them.

TikiG

CleveRocks
06-30-2007, 04:05 PM
That Gogurt idea is a very creative and cool idea. But there is one HUGE reason why it won't work.

According to my research in my refrigerator, Gogurt tubes are NOT labeled with the size of the container. The BOX says each tube is 2.25 ounces, but each tube itself has no size label whatsoever. Unfortunately, all containers in your "3-1-1" bag MUST have the size labeled on it. TSA will not allow its agents to guess-timate container sizes.

So I hate to bring bad news, especially for such a "cool" :D idea, but I'd also hate for TikiGoddess to have to throw away her Gogurts at the security area of her home airport.

Oh well, back to the drawing board .... :(

spoiledraf
06-30-2007, 04:26 PM
My Bad.:(

How's this idea. See if a vender in the airport will give you some ice after you get through security. Maybe get something small and ask for a cup of ice. Just a thought.:number1:

r4kids
06-30-2007, 06:11 PM
I agree with Tikigodess, we too can afford many Disney trips with our family by "cutting corners" bring lunch from home, not spending money unnecessarily. On thing you can try is putting the mayo, mustard etc between the pieces of deli meat. I to hate soggy sandwiches. I also like tomato and lettuce, so I make up baggies of tomato slices and lettuce, we make our our on whatever trip were on and their not soggy. We also do fruit slices as a side. We don't eat fast food either :sick:. As far as drinks that shouldn't be a problem because you'll get a tiny drink on the plane. Our flight leaves at 1:50pm and we'll be making lunches to take too. 83 days!!!!

spoiledraf
07-01-2007, 07:09 PM
Our idea of saving $$ was to eliminate the airport all together. No air fare, no airport parking fees, no car rental, no security checks, no kids kicking the back of my seat on the plane or waits in line for Magical Express. Last trip, we left Friday night as soon as I got home from work, around 7 pm, drove straight through from north Ohio, 1017 miles, in 17 hours and were having lunch at ESPN on the Boardwalk at noon. Theres no traffic in the middle of the night so it's an easy drive and we just took turns driving and sleeping. I was no more tired when I got there than the last time we flew, (Up at 4, shower , dress final pack, leave at 5 for hour and half drive to airport, check in an hour and a half early and wait in security line for 20 minutes, 2 1/2 hour flight, retrieve luggage, get ride to resort, total nearly 8 hours. And thats if you don't have to connect to get a decent price.) and we had our car available to get to places where bus transportaion is so cumbersome, like going from the Beach Club to the Contemporary for a late evening dinner at the Cali Grille or to Jimmy Buffetts Margaritaville at Universal (a $40 dollar taxi fare each way). The more people in the car, the more you save and nobody checks what you are having for lunch!. We also stopped in Atlanta to visit our daughter on the way home, something we couldn't have done if we flew. And the best part was we could actually stay late the last day of our package plan and get an entire day in, which in fact is also a great savings by not paying for a day when you have to leave by 11 or 12 for a 3 pm flight.

I know it's tougher with kids but you could save enough on airfare to stay a couple more days if you drove. We took our kids at 2 and 3 all the way to California by car. 2800 miles each way and hardly a problem. Most of our trips to Disney have been by car, including Disneyland in California. Really cheap lodging there. My niece lives 10 minutes from the front door!

vamaggie
07-01-2007, 07:51 PM
That Gogurt idea is a very creative and cool idea. But there is one HUGE reason why it won't work.

According to my research in my refrigerator, Gogurt tubes are NOT labeled with the size of the container. The BOX says each tube is 2.25 ounces, but each tube itself has no size label whatsoever. Unfortunately, all containers in your "3-1-1" bag MUST have the size labeled on it. TSA will not allow its agents to guess-timate container sizes.

So I hate to bring bad news, especially for such a "cool" :D idea, but I'd also hate for TikiGoddess to have to throw away her Gogurts at the security area of her home airport.

Oh well, back to the drawing board .... :(

OOPS!! :blush: Can you tell I read the labels on boxes--but not the individual packages too much!!! I wonder if TikiGoddess could take the box along with her to show the agents the individual gogurts were 2.25 oz if there is any question? The box would not have to fit into the 1 qt bag, only the gogurts. Only another idea--trying to help a fellow economizer save on those horrible airport meals!!!

DizneyRox
07-01-2007, 08:02 PM
On thing you can try is putting the mayo, mustard etc between the pieces of deli meat.
Please don't try this. You're hiding something that shouldn't be on a plane...

spoiledraf
07-01-2007, 11:18 PM
And posting bail is not economical!

Lizzie
07-01-2007, 11:35 PM
Would you be allowed to stick a package of frozen peas in with your food? Its not a liquid. Just an idea.

snifflesmcg
07-02-2007, 12:22 AM
Please don't try this. You're hiding something that shouldn't be on a plane...

lol, I think they meant putting the actual mustard/mayo between the meat so the bread doesn't get soggy.

r4kids
07-02-2007, 05:39 AM
Yes I did not mean the packets. Those are dirty I really wouldn't want them on my food. I also don't want to start my trip with a trip to the TSA office in handcuffs. Nope it the rules for me.:mickey: 81 days!!!

disneydaisy
07-02-2007, 08:57 PM
I recently flew to Vegas and made sub-sandwiches to take on board for flights there and back. I used marj on the bread instead of mayo. It won't spoil in the short time before it is eaten. We also included mustard spread on the meat and cheese, and added some pickles. They were then wrapped in foil. The subs were great, not soggy and we didn't have any problems getting them on board. Because we use our soft coolers when we are travelling, I just pack my frozen freeze packs, wrapped in plastic freezer bags, in my checked baggage. They are generally still frozen when we get to our destination.

princessjojo
07-02-2007, 11:21 PM
It may have been mentioned previously, but make your sandwiches dry and once throught security, stop by one of the fastfood locations, buy a cup of water or something easy, and just pick up enough of the individual packets there. They may even have some on the plane that they would be able to give you. It's just a thought and all they can do is say no. What have you really lost.

TikiGoddess
07-03-2007, 06:10 AM
Hi all,

We've decided to just pack PBJ, fruit, and crackers. I really liked the idea of using frozen vegetables to keep our food cold (and still might give it a try). Great ideas all, thanks!

Only 2 hrs to go and we leave for the airport. Now I get to wake my sleeping beauties and tell them we're going to FL today! :D

TikiG

KatGat
07-03-2007, 04:51 PM
In November, we boarded with an ice pack in a small insulated bag with our baby bottle. It was simply 'declared' to security since it was more than 3 oz. There was a guy on board with a bigger cooler full of sandwiches and food. I would assume that he had some type of ice packs, too.

vamaggie
07-03-2007, 06:03 PM
In November, we boarded with an ice pack in a small insulated bag with our baby bottle. It was simply 'declared' to security since it was more than 3 oz. There was a guy on board with a bigger cooler full of sandwiches and food. I would assume that he had some type of ice packs, too.

There is more latitude for baby care/medical items so that may be why they did not question the ice pack for the formula. I know you can take more than 3 oz of formula/breast milk and can take ice to keep meds cold.