PDA

View Full Version : Which would you do?

Jen C.
06-28-2007, 10:19 PM
Ok guys and gals...I need some help. Our upcoming trip is 8/29-9/4. We are booked at the Poly, with the free dining.We've been there and liked it quite well, we don't love it as much as some others on these boards, but especially enjoy the pool, and the convenience of the monorail to MK and Epcot. In our party you have myself, DH, DD-7, DS-6, and DD-18 months. All of our on property stays have been at MK resorts. This is mainly because with the small children MK was where we spent the majority of our time.

I have always wanted to check out Beach Club or Yacht Club. The pool looks awesome, and I like the theming. Now that the room only discounts have been released, we are considering shortening our free dining at the Poly pkg by 2 nights, and staying at either BC or YC. We would be saving about $200, which we would put toward our food expenses the last 2 days. We figure it would basically be a "wash", the prices would be almost equal, although I personally believe we'd spend a little more if we split the stay. So, what I need your help with is...do we do this or no? Should we split the stay this time with the 3 kids at the ages they are, or do we stick with what we have and try BC or YC another time? I'm seriously going to let majority rule here, and do what you guys tell me. Thanks!

TammiMcMan
06-28-2007, 10:24 PM
I think a split stay is a great idea. It will give the best of both worlds. Considering Disney takes care of moving your luggage, other than packing and unpacking, it's really a transparent move. The only drawback is if you have to check out at 10 from the Poly and your BC/YC room is not ready until after 3pm. That may interfere with nap schedules, unless your comfortable with the kids resting by the pool or in their carriages while you walk through the parks. I'd say that considering the time of year you're travelling though, that shouldn't be an issue.

So, my vote is for the split stay.

Mickey91
06-28-2007, 10:45 PM
I would personally wait until another time. I know the room discount seems hard to pass up, but moving is a royal time consuming pain. We had to split in Dec because of availability issues. It was nuts trying to get it all packed and transfered. A lot of magic is lost in translation. Plus, if you keep your dining ADRs, your meals will more than likely cost way more than the $200.00. If you cancel them, you end up with chicken tenders and fries for every meal :ack:and still might not break even with the snacks and drinks etc. through the day.

On the other hand, if you wait for another time, you will be able to relax at the Poly all week without worrying about the pending move:vacation:. You will then be able to enjoy the Yacht and Beach Club to the fullest without trying to see all they offer in a couple of days.:sail:

I vote to stay put!:mickey:

Mackflava99
06-28-2007, 11:55 PM
I agree with the post about packing and moving being a pain-
While i have to say the pool at the Beach Club is tremendous, ( my kids LOVE IT)
We have stayed at BC a numer of times and really enjoy the proximity to Epcot and MGM.

I am not sure that warrants having to waste a day moving-
Your room might not be ready so you'd have to wait around. It would put a damper on any trip.

I have not been to Poly for a number of years, but did enjoy it there alot.

TammiMcMan
06-29-2007, 12:17 AM
If it's planned right, this move would actually not come close to wasting a day. I don't know about everyone else, but I can pack for my family of 5 in under an hour. There's even a system to packing for a split stay... dirty clothes can all go in one suitcase, whatever we might need for the day goes in the backpack or baby bag (bathing suits, bottles, snacks, etc.). A call to bell services and you can be off. Personally, I'd plan for a park day at Epcot or MGM. If we weren't driving, hop on the Poly resort boat launch or monorail and go to the MK, where I'd pick up the bus for the BC/YC. Get off at whichever resort you've chosen, check-in and head to the park. If the room isn't ready, they'll give you a number to call.

It's actually fairly easy to do and you don't waste much time at all. You can even skip the parks all together that day and request a late check-out of 1pm from the Poly. Sleep in, enjoy the pool and then make your transfer.

Queen Stephanie
06-29-2007, 12:26 AM
If I may say so, I would NOT recommend splitting up your stay. Wait til the next visit. The reason I say this is because after you get
to Disney, with all the excitement and energy, you will regret having to break it up with a move. Just relax and enjoy the POLY, since it is the Best...O'Hana!:thumbsup:

Mary Poppins fan
06-29-2007, 07:04 AM
I say go for it if you'd like to try something new! We've switched resorts in the past and it was pretty easy. I usually pack up the night before, lay out the clothes for the next day, and arrange a time in the morning (we're early risers) for bell services to come get the bags and transfer them. In the morning we hop a taxi to the next resort, check in (room may or may not be ready), and head out to the parks. Last trip we had all this done by 8:30 am.
By the way, we're at the Poly the same time as you (8/31 to 9/5.) I'll be the one with 3 kids (DS13 and DDs6.) :hi:

Jeff
06-29-2007, 07:44 AM
I enjoy spliting stays; my wife does not. She doesn't like to repack.

We split a stay at BC/Poly once. The BC pool is worth a split stay IMHO. That being said, the Poly is still our family favorite.

Nicki'sMom
06-29-2007, 07:51 AM
If you were staying longer I might say split it up but personally, I don't think it is worth the hassle for two days. Plus your little one is still pretty young, I would do it in a couple years. Just enjoy your last stay at the Poly before the kids want to stay at the BC every time you visit.

January-2007
06-29-2007, 08:04 AM
I would stay at the Poly the whole time rather than splitting your stay. With young children everything takes a little longer, and what a hassle! I like to know where I'll be throughout my vacation and not have something looming over my head like having ot pack up and deal with changing resorts. Everyone is different though, so do what you think your family will enjoy the best.

ytzking
06-29-2007, 08:08 AM
I would definitely go with the split. You definitely don't have to waste a day if you plan properly. If you're planning on visiting EPCOT or MGM, just save them for the days that you're at the YC or BC. They're within walking distance. The pool area alone is worth the switch. I like to switch up hotels as a way of jump-starting the vacation mid-way. Good Luck :mickey:

SBETigg
06-29-2007, 08:09 AM
I wouldn't split. I don't think there's enough time to enjoy the new resort- you would check in and check out again without getting to settle in, and you might regret not having more time there. I would wait and enjoy the Yacht or Beach Club for another trip.

Jen C.
06-29-2007, 03:49 PM
Ok, right now we are tied! I'm serious about letting you guys decide. Please keep the opinions coming! Thanks!

Aurora
06-29-2007, 04:15 PM
My vote is to split your stay -- especially since you've been to the Poly before and you want to try a new place. There is nothing like being right across the bridge to the World Showcase, right across the water to the Boardwalk, right down the (long) walkway to Disney-MGM Studios.

Stormalong Bay is lovely.

Moving is obviously less convenient than staying in one place, but I think it's worth it to get the best of both worlds.

tinksmom02
06-29-2007, 10:30 PM
And I'm going to tie it up again by saying no to the split LOL Forget about the move itself; wouldn't you rather give yourself enough time at the BC/YC? I say stick with the Poly, and next vacation, stay at BC or YC.

mook3y
06-29-2007, 11:04 PM
We are going to stay at 3 resorts on our next trip. First 3 days at ASmu 7 days at BWV and then 2 days at Wilderness lodge.

ASmu was simply because we know that we are going to spend a lot of time the first few days in the parks and only need a room to sleep in on those days. BWV we will spend more time at Epcot and the Resort and I really want to stay at WL and enjoy the resort.

Our game plan is to pack 1 suitcase that will have what we need for a couple days. We will only unpack that at ASmu and WL.

We are not concerned about changing resorts. Call bellhop, they take bags to the new resort we head to a park to play. Come back to the new resort in the afternoon, check in, go swimming, go play more. Don't plan on wasting time :D

Maybe I will change my mind about ever doing it again! But this year, we are looking forward to trying 2 of our 3 choices! ;)

MNNHFLTX
07-02-2007, 10:03 AM
While it's true that Disney makes splitting a stay as painless as possible, if it were me I still wouldn't do it. I'm one of those people that hates the thought of re-packing and moving; we prefer to look at the resort we're staying at as our "home" when we're on vacation there.

KAT1811
07-02-2007, 10:34 AM
While it's true that Disney makes splitting a stay as painless as possible, if it were me I still wouldn't do it.

:ditto:

I'm one of those people that hates the thought of re-packing and moving; we prefer to look at the resort we're staying at as our "home" when we're on vacation there.

:exactly: Packing is a pain in the first place who feels like doing it twice? I can't imagine packing all of us twice (myself, DH, DD10, DD 2 1/2, and DD 8 months, plus for us it means all the baby stuff as well.) No thank you. Once I'm home I'm home for the duration. For me the opportunity cost is way too high, there is so much more I could do with that time and energy. By the end of the vacation your tired from all of the running around, imagine all of the energy you'll wast repacking and unpacking.

dolphinmickey9170
07-02-2007, 11:14 AM
:mickey::DI vote no split...this give you another reason to return to WDW.

Tink's Mom
07-02-2007, 11:52 AM
I agree with not splitting, and having a reason to come back next year!

psychotekkie
07-02-2007, 12:27 PM
NO SPLIT. We did this before. Doesn't matter how great you are at packing, you still have to deal with checkout and checkin. This was our worst day at Disney. (ESPECIALLY if you are going to use Disney transportation to haul your stuff to the other hotel).

Unless you were moving up to a resort that was ten times better than your other one, I can't see it being worthwhile. Just have some patience and do the other resort next time.

vamaggie
07-02-2007, 03:06 PM
Put me in the "no Split" column. Expecially with little ones, I would want to stay put. Your little ones will just be getting used to your "home" at the Poly when you will need to switch to a new resort. If you were going to be at the second resort more than 2 days I may so go for it but put me in the no split group for this trip.

gardenia
07-02-2007, 07:20 PM
I'm a YES for split stays!

We did our first split stay in 2004, and now we do it almost every time we go to WDW. It adds fun and excitement. It gives you a chance to "try on" a resort by just doing a day or two, and spending the rest at a tried and true favorite. Or you can split your time between an MK resort and an EPCOT resort, and toss in a few days at a DTD resort. I have three kids and we don't have any problems with packing up and moving, and we never feel like our time is wasted.

Crow
07-02-2007, 11:10 PM
ive never been able to afford Poly but wouldnt mind trying it
i did stay at BC once due to a rehab, but other than the great location i didnt think it was that great.
that being said
Split the stay. i have done that many times and am doing it in Sept (Pop free dining then WL room only)
they will move your luggage. give it to them, go to the parks, then check into your new resort.
you can see how many trips i have split. go for it

Bethanymouse
07-03-2007, 12:08 AM
I wouldnt split my stay either. Simply due to timing. I like to spend as much time as I can enjoying my vacation not worrying about changing rooms. Not to mention waiting until the room opens up at 3. With young kids that is often a naptime or down time. I say stay at the Poly and try the others at a different time.

MickyLuver
07-03-2007, 06:51 AM
I wouldn't slpit my time either. Packing is time consuming and changing resorts is mentally draining. Just book your next trip at the BC, it is a wonderful resort but you want to spend more than (2 days) 1.25 days there. The other .75 is switiching from one side of the WDW to the other.
Just enjoy the Poly and have a wonderful trip. :D

moe513
07-04-2007, 03:09 PM
We split between the bc and poly in 2005. We did 3 days at the bc and then off to the poly for 4. If you have your own car I think the move would be easier. Disney did move our stuff without problem but it took time. After our trip I felt like I didnt get a good feel for either resort because the stay at each was too short. I also moved three kids and a dh. If you visit wdw frequently than wait but I you wont be back for a while then I would go for it. My dh said never again. We ended up liking the epcot resort better and now the family wont go anywhere else. If you decide no, I would go check the bc out. Go to cape may then walk around. Also, ask to see one of the rooms.

disneymom2000
07-04-2007, 03:53 PM
Okay looking at the big picture this is what I see. You have been to Disney before and stayed at the Poly and at a couple of other resorts. I would do the split because that gives me the chance to experience another resort I might be interested in but not willing to decide to stay for a full vacation if the Poly is available. If you wait and decide to plan your next vacation at the BC or YC and don't like it (which I really doubt) then you might not enjoy your vacation as much as you might want. I would take my last two days, try out the BC/YC and see if that may be a option to stay at a later vacation date. I think if you try out the BC/YC, especially with 3 kiddos, you will be extremely pleased.

browneyedgirl12
07-04-2007, 04:17 PM
I vote for No Split with young children splitting would be a hassle and if you split you might not to get to do everything at bc that you want to. So save BC for another time :mickey::mickey::mickey:

mrsgaribaldi
07-04-2007, 04:30 PM
I would pick the Poly any day over the BC. I really did not like the BC at all:( I say stay at the Poly and try BC another time:mickey:

Cinderelley
07-07-2007, 02:27 PM
I vote for splitting. We've switched resorts three times in one stay (long complicated family story) and loved it. Disney made the moving very easy, with very little time out of our day. That way you can see if you like staying near Epcot before dedicating your whole vacation to it. I would plan on doing your Epcot/MGM days around then.