PDA

View Full Version : height check

RPHX2NC
06-28-2007, 12:35 PM
This just in.

Height check DD3 is 39.5" barefoot. I hope she is brave enough for splash and big thunder by September.

mttafire
06-28-2007, 01:04 PM
She'll be fine. Shoes always adds a little. Splash is a GREAT first "big ride".:thumbsup:

mook3y
06-28-2007, 01:51 PM
We were just doing the happy dance at our house on Sunday. Our DD3 also measured in at 39.5".

She SOOOO wants to go on Splash Mountain!

Were looking forward to a trip where the whole family can now go on rides together! No more baby-swap!! WOOT! :D

TexasPrincessAurora
06-28-2007, 02:12 PM
Be prepared for them to check and recheck her height, at least at Splash. DS was 1 inch over the requirement when we went in April and they checked him 3 times at different points before letting him on.

While he LOVED the Brer Rabbit, Brer Fox and Brer Bear parts he hated the drops. Hopefully your little one does better.

CrazyStitch
06-28-2007, 02:13 PM
I'm right there with you! My DD3 (wow, alot of DD3s here :thumbsup:) is right about at 39.5" tall too. And, wouldn't you know it, she's wanting to ride Splash Mountain too :)

d_m_n_n
06-28-2007, 02:31 PM
Be prepared for them to check and recheck her height, at least at Splash. DS was 1 inch over the requirement when we went in April and they checked him 3 times at different points before letting him on.

I remember celebrating when DS hit 40". A little piece of advice though...they do check and recheck heights before they let the little ones on the rides. Make sure you practice standing up straight with feet together before you go!! :mickey:

Disney4
06-28-2007, 03:42 PM
I went so far as to make a measuing pole out of a board and broomstick, similar to the ones they use as portable measuring devices in the parks!

That way my DD got used to snapping to attention for a quick measure anywhere, not just up against a wall.

diznee_buzz
06-28-2007, 04:18 PM
I am bummed. DS3 is only 38.5" and we are going in September:(. I thought there would be a chance he would ride Splash, but by what you all are saying about them checking/rechecking I don't think he will be tall enough unless he has a huge growth spurt between now and then (which could happen!!)

What about Soarin'? I know nothing about this ride since I haven't been to Epcot since it opened. I honestly don't know if DS3 would even care to ride Splash or not but when I showed him a picture of Soarin' online (which I should not have done), he said "I want to ride that!"

PAYROLL PRINCESS
06-28-2007, 08:05 PM
I kept telling my now 4 year old nephew that he needed to eat, eat, eat to get tall enough for the rides and I think he shot up about 3 inches in 6 months. So it can happen!

Becky'sMom
06-28-2007, 08:54 PM
We are going next week.....Becky is 39.5 barefoot, but 40.25 in her sandals...sandals and a ponytail should do the trick...right? she will be so disappointed if she can't get on the rides!
Lauren

mook3y
06-28-2007, 08:59 PM
We are going next week.....Becky is 39.5 barefoot, but 40.25 in her sandals...sandals and a ponytail should do the trick...right? she will be so disappointed if she can't get on the rides!
Lauren

Pony tails wont count. Maybe get DD a pair of tennis shoes that have a thicker sole?

Becky'sMom
06-28-2007, 09:06 PM
"Pony tails wont count. Maybe get DD a pair of tennis shoes that have a thicker sole"
With her sandals on she is 40 and a quarter....I just thought the ponytail would make it a little better...but they won't ask her to take her sandals off....will they?
Have you ever seen them turn away a child who was just at the mark?
Lauren

FiggyFan
06-28-2007, 09:10 PM
What about Soarin'?

I don't think Soarin' has a height limit. The seats do have a center strap for the seat belt to help keep children in place.

mook3y
06-28-2007, 09:17 PM
"Pony tails wont count. Maybe get DD a pair of tennis shoes that have a thicker sole"
With her sandals on she is 40 and a quarter....I just thought the ponytail would make it a little better...but they won't ask her to take her sandals off....will they?
Have you ever seen them turn away a child who was just at the mark?
Lauren

No, I have never seen them make anyone take their shoes off. So long as they touch the bottom of the sign or more, they get on. :D

Becky'sMom
06-28-2007, 09:18 PM
Sorry...you must be 40" to ride Soarin' (or 39.5 plus 3/4 inch sandals?)
Lauren

Becky'sMom
06-28-2007, 09:21 PM
:mickey::mickey::mickey:
No, I have never seen them make anyone take their shoes off. So long as they touch the bottom of the sign or more, they get on.

r4kids
06-28-2007, 09:33 PM
We buy the girls the thicker Disney princess sneakers (target, walmart) before we go. They are DD6- 46in and DD4- 42in both barefoot. So to ensure they go on a ride they are already tall enough for, we buy the sneaks. This way there is no question and it adds and extra 1in or so. They are really cute shoes too!

MNMS
06-29-2007, 12:19 AM
Shoes count for height. They do not make you take them off. Last year my daughter measured 38.75" and we got her pretty big sandals so she just cleared 40". Only once were we questions, but they let us go.

mrsgaribaldi
06-29-2007, 04:25 AM
Just remember the height requirements are for YOUR child's safety. I am assuming that you all want your kids to exit the rides safe and sound. Don't try to make them fit the height requirement if they don't really reach it. You may end up being sorry at the end of the day and no one wants that.

Becky'sMom
06-29-2007, 06:43 AM
"Just remember the height requirements are for YOUR child's safety. I am assuming that you all want your kids to exit the rides safe and sound. Don't try to make them fit the height requirement if they don't really reach it. You may end up being sorry at the end of the day and no one wants that. "
I agree, but I am sure there is a 1/2 inch or more built in to those height limits..they know our children are wearing shoes. I would never try to get Becky on one of the 48" or 54" minimum rides, or sneak her onto Mission Space (as happened last year where a 4 year old boy died). She is tall enough for tower of terror....but I don't think I'll take her on that one.

MindyMouse
06-29-2007, 01:00 PM
My DS is turning 3 in August but he is only barely 36 inches. I'm hoping that he grows, grows, grows 4 more inches before our next trip (only 23 months away).

He only grew an 1 1/4 inch this year:(

Becky'sMom
06-29-2007, 07:17 PM
He'll be fine! He has 2 years and he's due for a growth spurt. Becky wasn't 36" yet in April 2006, but now she's 39.5" - and that's my little shorty in just over a year, your son will be 40" by your next trip.

cheeze2222
06-29-2007, 08:58 PM
what do you guys mean by DD3 or other things. i am a first timer to disney on july 7th with a 4 yr old, 42inches and a 10 month old. any hints

cheeze2222
06-29-2007, 10:09 PM
i am new here. what is DD3.
we are going on july 7th, any tips. i have a 43 inch 4 yr old and a 10 month old girl

mook3y
06-29-2007, 10:52 PM
DD = darling daughter DS = darling son DH = husband DW = wife. The number is the age.

Lots of acronyms here. I think there is a list of them somewhere under info central

KAJUNKING
06-30-2007, 01:25 PM
just measured ds5 almost 6, and he is 45 inches and will be able to ride a lot of thing this trip that he wasnt able to last sept, i really cant wait

MouseManiac
06-30-2007, 03:20 PM
We've marked our cellar door "Space Mountain" & "Splash Mountain" with the height requirements and once a week my kiddo's ask to be measured! It's great for getting them to eat all their veggies and drink the last of their milk... Those things make you grow while you sleep you know....;)

FaithTrustPixieDust
07-03-2007, 06:13 PM
We were surprised that they were stricter in measuring at Splash Mountain than over at Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. Reason: Splash Mountain has virtually NO restraints to protect your little ones.

We also learned that crocs do not add much height. <sigh>

Becky'sMom
07-03-2007, 06:45 PM
"We also learned that crocs do not add much height. <sigh>"
Yes, I discovered this too. Becky is 40.25" in her sandals and sneakers....just a hair under 40" in her crocs. We will be taking her sandals along when we are heading to any of the 40" minimum rides!

tony2979
07-03-2007, 06:46 PM
DD = darling daughter DS = darling son DH = husband DW = wife. The number is the age.

Lots of acronyms here. I think there is a list of them somewhere under info central

I am so laughing at myself right now. I'm not a big message board person, so I didn't know what that meant either.

After months, my deductive reasoning told me that they stood for DD=Disney Daughter, DS=Disney Son, etc.....LOL.

laward32
07-03-2007, 09:33 PM
My daughter was 40" this past Dec for our trip and Splash Mt was the only 40" ride she was not allowed to ride. She rode ToT, Dinosaur, TT and BTMRR, but when they measured her for Splash they said she wasn't tall enough. I was really upset and so was she since she had been on everything else. Just be prepared, I don't think Splash Mt measuring stick is accurate.:mickey:

LilBugsMa
07-04-2007, 09:11 AM
I've had a cast member make my kiddo take of sandals for a height check - she still made it, barely...and I was surprised that they asked her to remove her shoes and recheck after they checked once. But, her shoes did have a heel to them, so it was probably for the best that she did.

The cast member was at Soarin'. I don't know if they are stricter than other rides or not....

Good luck with growth spurts!

TexasPrincessAurora
07-04-2007, 06:15 PM
We found Splash Mountain to be the strictest by far. DS was measured 3 times at different points in the line. Perhaps it is due to the lack of restraints on the ride. For whatever reason I'm sure it is for valid safety reasons. It's nice that they are careful enough to make sure its safe for the little ones to ride.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
07-04-2007, 10:20 PM
So I had to measure my DD today and see how tall she is.

40" with her Mickey crocs on, exactly!! :party:

So, we will see what she wants to ride in September. So far, she keeps asking for Splash. I guess I better get ready to hang on to her. I know I always get nervous with the lack of restraint on Splash. Maybe I can talk her out of it?! :secret:

dntccc
07-05-2007, 04:45 PM
I am hoping our son grows enough before our planned trip the week after Thanksgiving this year. A few days ago, he measured 38 inches with no shoes on. I have measured him, I think around 39 inches or so with his shoes or sandles on. He is three and will be four in September. He has about 5 months to grow about an inch...actually 1.5 inches would be better, as I would like him to be over the 40 inch mark. I have read where people had children who were right at 40 inches and sometimes they would measure at 40 inches on some rides and sometimes they would not.

Goes4FastPass
07-05-2007, 05:33 PM
what do you guys mean by DD3 or other things. i am a first timer to disney on july 7th with a 4 yr old, 42inches and a 10 month old. any hints

Garsh!:goofy2: You mean the "D" doesn't stand for "Darn"? I may have to go back and change some posts.

Oh well, see also
http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/abbreviations/default.asp

Goes4FastPass
07-05-2007, 05:35 PM
bytheway, I have a hint for 10mo and WDW trips...

Grand....

Parents...

bkfree
07-07-2007, 12:56 PM
I second that height restrictions are for safety. On our first trip mine were right at the requirement for 40, but I told them many times that the CM had final say and that I could not promise any rides. They are very strict and I saw numerous times them asking kids to remove thick soled shoes and pressing doen hard on "high" hair, so be prepared. Mine wore Teva type or Crocs and weren't asked to remove them, but if your child is right on the mark, they will look at their shoes, or at least an observant cast member will. NO ride is worth my child getting injured.
Our most recent trip my two were 6 and 8 and were 49 1/2 and 56 inches and being able to ride everything was a new and fun experience and worth waiting for.

MickeysEars
07-07-2007, 02:24 PM
In 2005 my dd was apparently 39.5. We thought she was 40. The first time we went on Splash Mtn she still had on her princess dress and shoes from our Castle breakfast. Needless to say, the shoes with the little heel put her over the mark. on the ride she got soaked, so we put her regular clothes and shoes on and got back in line to ride again. Even though she was still wet from just getting off, they would not let get back on line. That was that.