PDA

View Full Version : Is Friday night a safe night at Downtown Disney?

lilmick
06-27-2007, 06:45 PM
My husband & I and our two children (13 & 11) are awaiting our first trip to WDW in less than 2 weeks. I recently read a newspaper article about "gang-related activity" at Downtown Disney and I'm worried about spending a Friday night eating out, shopping and checking out Disney Quest. Do I need to be worried for our safety?

Thanks in advance from this nervous ~ but VERY EXCITED ~ new WDW traveler :mickey:

SBETigg
06-27-2007, 06:50 PM
I've never seen any reason to worry at Downtown Disney. Security and police presence have been beefed up in light of the recent report, but bad things can happen anywhere. I would feel safe, but it's up to you to decide for your own family and it is wise to be careful anywhere you travel. Stay excited and have a fantastic time!

WDWizard
06-27-2007, 08:56 PM
Don't be scared by the recent news about crime at Downtown Disney. In that sense I'm sure you wont have a problem because they have definitely tightened up security there. Your biggest problem would be the crowds. DTD is very crowded on Friday nights with both locals and tourists, so expect crowded stores and over an hour long waits to eat. The best time to visit is earlier during the day if you want to avoid crowds.

Dizneyfan
06-27-2007, 09:29 PM
I think Friday Night in DTD will be fine for your family. The security is really good there. Make sure you visit the world of Disney store.:mickey:

Sunshine1010
06-28-2007, 01:27 AM
I've been there on weekday AND weekend nights, and there is a different feel between the two in my opinion.

During the weekend nights, there were a lot of people who had obviously been drinking a lot. More than on the weekday nights.

Also, on the weekend nights, there were many local teenagers dressed 'to party'.

Didn't bother me....., but in all honesty, I'd rather be there on a weekday night. It just seemed calmer.

Did I feel unsafe?....no, not particularly. I felt pretty safe.

Old School Mouse Ears
06-28-2007, 07:23 AM
dont worry ..its safe.. ive been there also on a week night and weekend.with an 11 and 13 yo DQ is a must! and im sure you will enjoy it too.try cyberspace mt.astroblaster and my fav pirates of the caribbean,battle for buccaneer gold:D

lilmick
06-28-2007, 08:12 PM
Thank you all so much for your information and well wishes. We have dinner reservations at Cap'n Jacks on Friday night and then will probably head over to Disney Quest. I feel a little better about the situation after your words of wisdom :hug:

dolphinmickey9170
06-28-2007, 09:25 PM
Be sure to check out all the shops at DTD. Please, have some Ghirardelli's chocolate for me. ;)

43 and 168 more days!!

mttafire
06-28-2007, 11:53 PM
Yes, Its VERY SAFE!! The only weekend issues ive ever seen were at P.I. We always have felt absolutely safe at DTD. IMHO, Disney is NOW taking security very serious in that area. Your good to go..:thumbsup:

pianobabe
07-02-2007, 01:39 PM
One of the reasons we went to WDW so much when I was a single mother was because it was a safe place for us to go and have fun. We never felt we were in an unsafe area in DTD. Keep your reservations and enjoy yourselves.

Rhonda

thrillme
07-02-2007, 02:36 PM
Really I think DTD is perfectly "safe".

ANYWHERE you go these days you're going to chance running into an "unsavory character":malef:.

They've got a lot of security all throughout Disney and at downtown. It's probably a LOT more than they really need but you feel good that it's there. Quite honestly ALL of Disney to include DTD you feel quite safe and unthreatened. On weekend nights it's going to be a bit more crowded (try to go to ANY resturant outside of Disney...you'll find the same issues...they're ALL crowded).

But DANGER...you're 10 times likely to be more threatened by a hungry bird after your churo.

I wouldn't sweat it too much...Ideally whereever you go (even to church or a boyscout popcorn sale) it's ALWAYS a good idea to remain "vigilant".

Piglet822
07-02-2007, 02:40 PM
I was at DD last night and I did notice a police presence in the area of the PI entrance, but other than that I saw nothing out of the ordinary.
I walked from the AMC theatre to the Marketplace and just saw families and couples. No gangs or trouble makers. I felt perfectly safe.