PDA

View Full Version : SW airlines

Zippy 1
06-27-2007, 03:48 PM
I am looking at booking Southwest for our trip in November. We have never flown this airlines. Any info on performance, comfort, etc. would be greatly appereciated. Thanks ahead of time. With each new detail of our trip I get much more excited!!!!:mickey:

BD
06-27-2007, 04:20 PM
One of the better airlines in terms of performance. The thing you really have to know is that there are no assigned seats. You get assigned and A, B, or C when you check in. A's board first then B, ... By C mostly middle seats are left.

To avoid this problem checkin online up to 24 hours in advance, get to the airport early, or use and automated checkin service such as boardfirst.com. boardfirst, for $5 a seat, guarantees an A boarding pass or you don't pay. Once checked in you can either print the pass at home or get it at the airport.
Bob

mousetrapper
06-27-2007, 06:22 PM
We fly SW most of the times we fly and have never had any problems. I just took a trip earlier this month and flew AirTran, which was a nightmare in terms of not leaving on time!

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
06-27-2007, 07:30 PM
:thumbsup:We love Southwest and always use them for our trips to WDW.

We have never had one negative experience with them. We have always gotten pre board since our kids were young. Once we cannot do that anymore, we will be checking in 24 hours ahead to get that "A" boarding pass. I am sure there would not be a problem keeping families together, though.

Our flights have always departed on time and our luggage is always right there with no problems.

We are carefully watching their website right now for our September trip!!

HTH

kakn7294
06-27-2007, 07:51 PM
I was very happy with SW on our last trip. The only other airline I had ever flown was USAirways many years ago.

The pluses for us on SW:
- The price is right
- From my area, it is a non-stop flight
- Again from my area, the schedule is great
- They tend to not change or cancel flights or oversell
- The planes are comfortable and clean (at least ours were) and all are newer planes
- They still serve snacks
- Changes to your flights can be made free of charge

The minuses for us on SW:
- You don't have assigned seats - not really a big deal for us as long as I have a seat on the plane and our kids can sit with one of us, I don't care where my seat is.

KathyMO
06-27-2007, 08:12 PM
We have used SW serval times. They are great and usually lower cost. When we fly we usually use SW or NWA. Whichever one has the lower cost at the time. For our trip in November NWA has the lowest price so far. We booked our flights a couple of weeks ago. The only thing I like better about NWA is the asigned seats and checking your luggage at the WDW resort.

Kathy

dolphinmickey9170
06-27-2007, 08:34 PM
One of the better airlines in terms of performance. The thing you really have to know is that there are no assigned seats. You get assigned and A, B, or C when you check in. A's board first then B, ... By C mostly middle seats are left.

To avoid this problem checkin online up to 24 hours in advance, get to the airport early, or use and automated checkin service such as boardfirst.com. boardfirst, for $5 a seat, guarantees an A boarding pass or you don't pay. Once checked in you can either print the pass at home or get it at the airport.
Bob
We are using this in August. Hopefully, my trip report will have good news.

I love SW. I won't fly with anyone else. They are always on time, and sometimes land a bit early. Even better.

mickeys_princess_mom
06-28-2007, 12:21 AM
I love SW. I won't fly with anyone else. .
:ditto::plane:

Tink's Mom
06-28-2007, 06:34 AM
We usually fly Southwest because we seem to get the best airfare prices through them. I am not a huge fan of unassigned seats though. Like mentioned above, make sure you check in the day before. Once we forgot, and we were separated from each other. It really bothered me that my DD's had to sit by themselves. No one offered to move so that we could sit together. I could not even see them. But I could hear my 8 year old because she talked to the people around her the ENTIRE flight! :blah:

ImagiAsh
06-28-2007, 11:44 AM
I fly southwest all the time! I usually find the best prices with them. A few people already mentioned the unassigned seats except for boarding letters A,B, and C. I usually check in online exactly 24 hours in advance and I've never had a problem getting boarding group A.:cool:

thrillme
06-28-2007, 12:23 PM
Southwest has the BEST and most DEPENDABLE service out of all the airlines and their seat were the most comfortable too (without comparing the other airlines First Class of course). They also have the most EFFICIENT customer service. If somethings going wrong they have the solution...not three days later but immediately. If an emergency comes up they work with you should you need to cancel. Whenever I purchase Southwest tickets...I feel SAFE.:thumbsup:

My experience with OTHER airlines has been "frusterating".:mad: I usually have pretty decent luck with American over the rest but I can pretty well assure that I'm going to be late. But American DOES get me and my luggage to my destination.:thumbsup:

The ONLY issue I have with Southwest is I get really nervous :scared:about the possibility of being separated from my DS or family (I recently have a new very serious boyfriend that is quite likely destined to become a member of our family so now we'll be a three-some). In the past I've been very lucky and even if we were late boarding somebody always moved to let my son sit with me. This is really pretty silly since I know everybody's safe but when I'm on vacation I REALLY want to be with my party.

They've been experimenting with assigned seating which I hope works out but I do see where "assigned" seating slows down the process. Flying OTHER airlines when they change planes these seat assignments seem to go downhill fast or there's always a passenger that does not want to sit in a certian spot etc.

momofdisneyprincess
07-03-2007, 03:03 PM
I too only have great experiences with SW. I used to travel quite often for work and used just about all other "major" airlines. I find their customer service the best around. The fact that you can change flights with no penalty is great too. And, if the price decreases, you can change to the lower priced flight and are assigned a credit that you can use within a year. Even travelling without my daughter, I check in 24 hrs ahead and get boarding group 'A'. If a specific seat is important, you can always wait in your assigned letter line instead of a seat in the airport. I think they are great though. As someone mentioned, you still get a complimentary soft drink and snack. I HIGHLY recommend them!:thumbsup:

DisneyorBust
07-03-2007, 03:59 PM
We will be trying SW for the first time this year and reading reviews like these is very reassuring! Had it not been for Intercot, I never would have known that I could print my boarding pass 24 hours in advance! Thanks everyone.:thumbsup:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
07-03-2007, 10:56 PM
I've flown SW a few times and had no problems. And sometimes you get flight attendants who are just so funny.