PDA

View Full Version : How to tell the kids

moe513
06-27-2007, 12:35 PM
I need some ideas on how to tell the kids were going. I keep putting it off because I cant think of anything good.

Tinker-Brendie
06-27-2007, 01:36 PM
Do you have the cool WDW vacation planning DVD? Depending on the age of your kids, I think it would be cool to put the DVD in and watch it with the kids, saying "Wouldn't it be great to see that, and ride that, and see her/him..." and when it was over, say:
"Wouldn't it be great of we could go there?"
If they say no, cancel your ressies...(just kidding)
If they say YESSSSSSSS, tell them "Okay, then let's go!":cloud9:

mook3y
06-27-2007, 02:13 PM
LOL my wife and I were discussing this last night. We think it would be neat to surprise our kids (DD3 DS5) some day. But we are not sure we could manage it.

We love planning our trips and enjoy talking with our children about it.

Plus, we plan so far in advance, we are already planning our Disney 08 trip and have not taken this years trip yet.

However, since you have managed not to tell your kids so far... kudo's to you! :D Maybe, don't tell them. Just tell them you are going on a vacation and surprise them when you show up at the airport, headed for Orlando. :cool:

dolphinmickey9170
06-27-2007, 02:19 PM
One of my friends took her kids for christmas last year. Instead of putting a bunch of gifts under the tree christmas eve, they all just went to bed. When the kids got up, they asked where everything was. She told them that she hadn't had the chance to get them anything yet, so she was taking them out shopping right then, this is christmas morning. She had already packed their suitcases and had them in the trunk. When they got to the airport, they were really confused. It didn't really hit them until the pilot came over the PA and announced their arrival time in Orlando. Then the oldest figured it out. The youngest didn't get it until they were on the road leading into the world and went under the sign welcoming you to WDW. I wished I could have seen their faces. Too funny.

DisneyDreams09
06-27-2007, 03:01 PM
One kinda neat way is to develop a unique and extensive Treasure Hunt

I like the vacation planning dvd idea

Also try taping the sitcoms about the familys going to disney
I know there is Full House, Roseanne, Family Matters Sabrina, probably some others too and play those with the dvd

I hope those help!:mickey:

Mickey91
06-27-2007, 07:30 PM
I would go with the treasure hunt idea. maybe include watching a couple Disney movies and planning videos etc. But the treasure hunt would be awesome. You could even spread it out over a few days.

Hull-onian
06-27-2007, 07:31 PM
When I took my grandson three years ago, I got him a Disney Gift Basket from the Disney Florist. When he opened his gift, he knew right then and there. He got an autograph book, a pen, a camera, and some snacks. It was cool. :cool:

mickeys_princess_mom
06-27-2007, 11:04 PM
I like the treasure hunt idea (maybe after viewing one of the Pirates movies?), and have suggested it a few times to others. My family surprised me with birthday presents related to the trips (luggage, scrapbook albums, travel-size items, etc.), and an awesome cake with Cinderella saying,"See you tomorrow...":cloud9:
I've heard about special calls you can get from the characters, too...Have fun!:wave:

grumpycajun
06-28-2007, 05:44 PM
Pretend they did something naughty and that they're in trouble. Obviously nothing too bad, just enough to make 'em wonder. You don't want to scare them too much! Then, call a family meeting to discuss it. In the meeting bring up a bunch of wonderful things they've done and "punish" them for each one. Like with a kiss or a hug. Once they've caught on to the game you can think of something really, really wonderful they've done, like just being the greatest kids in the whole wide world and hit 'em with the most horrible punishment of all... A trip to Disney!

Night Pirate
06-28-2007, 08:03 PM
Just say "Hey kids We're going to DW:minnie::mickey3:!!!! Be greatful of stay home with that horible baby-sitter that you hate so much:sob:!!"
Thats what I would do anyway. :goof:

Night Pirate
06-28-2007, 08:08 PM
My mom said to just not tell them and let them figure it out when ya'll get there:secret:!!!:yoda:

ghost999
06-28-2007, 09:35 PM
put some pixie dust (gold shiny dust type stuff) on a letter and say that tinker bell, mickey someone wants you to follow these directions and then do the treasure hunt and then when it gets done say jump in the car we're going to these directions. :mickey:

MickeyandTink
06-29-2007, 05:57 PM
Thanks to tips I've gotten previously on Intercot and in some guide books, we're going to tell DD :princess: about it via a treasure hunt. Over the last couple of months, we've been getting small trip-related "prizes" at the dollar store, garage sales, etc. to use. We plan to give her a "treasure map" that will lead her to the first clue. At each clue, there will be a little prize along with a note about the next clue.

Some of the prizes we've got so far are a small stuffed airplane (for the plane ride), a rubik's cube (for Pop Century, where we're staying), and a POTC "magic 8-ball". We're still looking for a couple of other goodies. For the final prize, we plan to have her find the Vacation Planning DVD and then watch it together.

mickeys_princess_mom
06-29-2007, 08:13 PM
Thanks to tips I've gotten previously on Intercot and in some guide books, we're going to tell DD :princess: about it via a treasure hunt. Over the last couple of months, we've been getting small trip-related "prizes" at the dollar store, garage sales, etc. to use. We plan to give her a "treasure map" that will lead her to the first clue. At each clue, there will be a little prize along with a note about the next clue.

Some of the prizes we've got so far are a small stuffed airplane (for the plane ride), a rubik's cube (for Pop Century, where we're staying), and a POTC "magic 8-ball". We're still looking for a couple of other goodies. For the final prize, we plan to have her find the Vacation Planning DVD and then watch it together.
Creative prizes--I like these!:wave: