PDA

View Full Version : Considering 1 month stay at WDW - advice? esp. for lodging?

janebanks
06-26-2007, 07:13 PM
My DH can work remotely and I'm currently a SAHM (Stay At Home Mom), and we're considering, maybe, possibly, it's a long shot, but there's hope, staying in the Orlando area for a month or two. He'd still put in his 40+ hours a week while I took care of the kids, but we'd spend all of our leisure time at WDW.

Would have to find the absolute cheapest way possible to pull this off, including having a kitchen from which to cook and pack meals.

Right now I'm trying to research lodging. The Internet is crowded with sites regarding short term rental homes and condos... looks like this is popular in that area.

Has anyone done this sort of thing? Rented a house or apt. or condo, worked and played in the area for at least a month? Any advice, recommendations, thoughts, experiences to share??

Thanks in advance!
(As soon as we came up with this idea, I said, "I'll go straight to Intercot for information!")

faline
06-26-2007, 07:17 PM
That sounds wonderful! Depending on when you go, you might be able to find a good deal on a condo. I'd suggest working with a reputable travel agency to help you sort through options. Magical Journeys should be able to assist you!

TikiGoddess
06-26-2007, 07:38 PM
My DH and I thought about doing this for a month. We're both teachers and have the summer off. My DH thinks that we could both work part time at Disney (he's an ex-CM) -- he thinks it will cure my Disney obsession. I think it will fuel it, but that's off topic....

Anyway, I looked into some condos nearby and found a wide range of prices starting at $50/night. Google vacation rentals by owner or contact a rental company. Let us know what you find -- I am still working on DH to try this out next summer!

TikiG

*tinker*bell*
06-26-2007, 08:45 PM
You can find tons of homes in areas near Disney like Davenport, St Cloud, & Kissimmee. Go to VRBO.com where you can make offers to the actual home owners. You might get a great deal for a whole month. I got the owner of the home I stayed in last week to come off the price by $200. Some owners may come down even more. These homes are fully equipped with everything including a private pool! Good luck.
*tinker*bell*

sleepingbooty
06-26-2007, 09:10 PM
First off - I am soooooo jealous! What a great plan! If you can pull this off it will be the summer of a lifetime for your kids!

And secondly, another recommendation for Vacation Rentals by Owner. We've used them before for beach rentals and found great deals.

Good luck!:D

kakn7294
06-27-2007, 02:38 AM
I have no advice - I just wanted to say that I am so jealous of you! I would love to be able to stay at or near WDW for a month. Good luck to you - I hope you can pull it off!

Dyanna
06-27-2007, 10:18 AM
Mom?? Is that you ;) I want to come with you too!
I wish in a million years that I could spend a month at WDW. What a wonderful thing it would be to spend a month with the mouse.:mickey:

TammiMcMan
06-27-2007, 10:48 AM
Actually, this type of rental is fairly common in Florida. When my dad was deciding on whether he wanted to move down there, he would rent a furnished unit for anywhere from a month to five months. He had a beautiful place out on Cocoa Beach for a while.

To save yourself a lot of time and hassle, I would definitely recommend hooking up with a real estate agent.

Flower
06-27-2007, 05:09 PM
My inlaws also did this when they were researching where they wanted to buy. They were looking at the 'Florida Homes' in parks. (They bought 45 minutes south of Disney in Lake Wales/Frostproof)

What time of year are you planing on going? Keep in mind that the snowbirds stay down there for the winter and will usually rent their properties out from April-November.

Be sure to look into an annual pass if you are planning on doing a lot of days at Disney, when you stay off site you have to pay for parking, with an AP it is free!

I have to say that I am envious! Good luck with everything!

irish1967
07-04-2007, 08:33 PM
Jane - will you adopt me? I'm 40, I make my bed everyday and pick up after myself :mickey:

Of course, my DH and children would think :mad: but I'm sure they would get over it.

I don't have ANY idea where you would start with this idea, but, my brother (a university professor) and his wife rented their house to another family for a couple of months while he was on a nine month sabbatical.

It worked out great - I'm not sure about the particulars, but if I remember correctly, the family paid rent that was quite a bit less than the mortgage payment and utilities.

Have fun, it sounds like a great adventure. I hope it works out!

Woozles Gram
07-05-2007, 04:54 PM
Just wanted to add my two cents:twocents:......DH and I stayed for one month in 06 and this year we stayed for 6 weeks. Our ressies are already in for Jan. of 08 for 55 days, just short of 8 weeks. We have loved our experience renting a 4 bedroom home in Davenport. Private screened in pool with lani!! Ahhhhh, this is the life :thumbsup: I found the house on-line, did NOT find the need to use a travel agent or a realtor. In my experience, I found most of the houses for rent are owned by The British. I totally agree with the annual pass idea, we have done it both years, and you also get the added bonus of the 10% discount for renewing. Also, just as a bit of advice, we opened a Disney Credit Card, use it for most everything, earn points and use the points towards our passes. This helps a lot!! All in all, renting a house has proven to be a wonderful experience for us to get-a-way from the cold New York winters for a while................and we go to the parks whenever the spirit moves us!! DO IT, YOU WILL NEVEER REGRET IT! :yay:

Lizzie
07-05-2007, 05:44 PM
My husband works for home. Can someone talk to him about working in Florida for a month? Someday I am going to live closer to a Disney park. I will take either one.

wendybird
07-07-2007, 10:01 PM
First off - I am soooooo jealous! What a great plan! If you can pull this off it will be the summer of a lifetime for your kids!

And secondly, another recommendation for Vacation Rentals by Owner. We've used them before for beach rentals and found great deals.

Good luck!:D

All I can say is I second the jealousy!!! WOW - how fun!

janebanks
08-04-2007, 10:23 AM
Hi all,

Wanted to tell you that your jealousy can be put on hold; we've decided we just can't afford to do this right now.:crying:
It was such a beautiful dream while it lasted!

I did want to say a big Thank You to the people who told me about Vacation Rentals By Owner. I looked into it - what a great site. You gave me a great resource for the future, and I appreciate it!

We are thinking we will look into purchasing an RV when our kids are school-age so that we can afford longer stays at Ft. Wilderness.

Thanks again everyone! Wish we could have done it and taken you all with us!:sadwave:

ToDisney
08-04-2007, 03:24 PM
I am SOOO sorry this didn't work out for you right now. But I know we will all send our hopes and a lot of pixie dust :pixie:so that it can happen in the future
:pixie:
About the RV idea, that's what my DH has always wanted to do! Ever since we stayed at the FW cabins, then got annual passes. He has a "grand plan" of a 2 week stay. I can't wait.
To some 2 weeks is normal, to me 5 days is about as good as we get 7 was a celebration!!:cloud9: So I have the AP dream with an extended stay. I feel for you. I hope your plans eventually work out.

GOOD LUCK:mickey:

mttafire
08-04-2007, 03:52 PM
I have no advice - I just wanted to say that I am so jealous of you! I would love to be able to stay at or near WDW for a month. Good luck to you - I hope you can pull it off!

Yeah, Add me to the ...I'd LOVE to try the month long stay list!! Have a great time if you can do it.:mickey:

murphy1
08-04-2007, 04:51 PM
Jane if you do it eventually, look at some of the towns on the outskirts like Clermont, Haines City, Lake Wales, Lakeland. I really wouldn't live right near the resort. I am from Tampa area and I think you would also get less expensive rates in these areas and it's less touristy. I want to eventually live in GA and Florida, as I love both areas.