PDA

View Full Version : Getting Sick at Disney...

Khfan13
06-26-2007, 06:36 PM
I wanted to know if anyone on here has actually fallen ill at Disney:ill:. And I don't mean motion-sickness:ack: like on Mission: Space, but actually getting sick:ill:.

For example, when I was in Kindergarden in 1997, on our last day we went to Typhoon Lagoon, and I saw that I had the beginnings of Chicken Pox. The day we left, I had them full-blown and was itching terribly.

In 2005, we were staying at the Swan. After coming back from The Boardwalk, I felt like I was going to faint, and I had to kneel down in the grass. When I got to the hotel, I "blew chunks" all over the room. From then on, every 30 minutes I continued to get sick until I was horribly dehydrated. I was then taken to Celebration Hospital, and had to get an IV, and was laid up for the rest of the day. later that night we flew off, and I was so drugged up, I fell asleep the whole way home. THe cause was Swollen Limpnotes.

After each encounter, my sister got the same sickness a week later...

PAYROLL PRINCESS
06-26-2007, 06:38 PM
My nephew had a really bad ear/sinus infection a few years ago. He was miserable. We took him to one of the walk in centers, they gave him antibiotics and he was good to go.

LoriMistress
06-26-2007, 06:54 PM
My allergies turned into a sinus infection. Plus, I lost my voice half way through our honeymoon trip at WDW.

snifflesmcg
06-26-2007, 07:10 PM
My poor sister got really sick starting with the first day of her trip. She had a bad cold and didn't feel like eating and she was sneezing. Thankfully she did get better but most of her trip was ruined.

mook3y
06-26-2007, 07:17 PM
Last year I was about 3.5 months out of major surgery and came down with a bug of some kind a few days into our trip. I had to leave Ohana's in the middle of breakfast and take a cab back to the room because I was so sick and weak. I slept all that day and thankfully felt pretty good the next day.

mainemajor
06-26-2007, 07:20 PM
I spent 3 hours at the Celabration Hospital this past February with a friend that had tonsalites and ear infections. He had been pretty much out of it all day. :ill:It did prove to be a long night. Oh yea did I mention that the hospital was remodeling and there was very, very little room in the waiting room and triage was being done in a hallway.The next day, with antibiotics in his system all was much better.

Tinkerfreak
06-26-2007, 07:24 PM
Lets see if I can remember all the times.
DD had step throat one time.
DD, DH and MIL all got the stomach flu one year for 2 or three days.
DD had a cold one year.
Last year everyone took airborne before we left and while we were there and thank goodness no one got sick.

jodijo
06-26-2007, 07:36 PM
We went to WDW for my 35th Bday. On my BDay I got VERY sick. My throat hurt so bad that I could not even eat my Bday dinner. I went back to the room where I had a very bad night. I was throwing up, chilled, major migraine, and every joint in my body hurt. The next day I was no better. The good news is that we were leaving that day. The bad news was that we had to check out of our room and our flight wasn't until 8pm. I just crashed in a chair at WL and waited to go home.

Clotho
06-26-2007, 07:48 PM
Before I started taking Airborne, I would get sick nearly every time I flew. So I have been sick at Disney a lot. And I think also, the release of a vacation makes me sick. Meaning, I do all this work leading up to it, all this preparation, getting work in order, excitement, losing sleep...and then I get there and WHOOMPH. I let it all release, and I get sick.

My latest was strep throat at Disneyland. I thought it was just a bad cold, and then lost my voice couldn't speak the last three days of my trip. I saw a doctor when I got home and found out it was strep. I had powered through the vacation, not wanting to miss a moment of our 5 day trip!

Before that was my first trip to WDW. Totally a "I am so excited!" release, and pre-Airborne. I got the flu near the beginning of the trip, and hubby had it by the end of our 8 days. I also had wicked cramps, to boot...and I still had an amazing vacation!! It was my 30th birthday present to myself, my sister surprised me by showing up in the last 3 days (she and hubby conspired!), I had a fantastic time eating great food and exploring...

BUt now I can't wait for our trip THIS year. I will be there on my birthday this year (Labor Day weekend), and I cant wait to see all the details I missed when I was sick!

DawsonAR
06-26-2007, 08:00 PM
A couple of years ago my DH and I had a 10 day trip alone (no kids). We were there for two and a half days and he came down with a terrible case of the Flu. He was in the bed for the next six days. I kept going to the parks to stay out of the room and let him rest. It was a good trip other than his illness.

Narawen
06-26-2007, 08:28 PM
Mom and I both picked up a nasty stomach virus in WDW this past oct. The day before we left she had it bad and we only stayed at AK for about 2 hours before going back to the hotel, I was fine that night but the next morning I was :sick:. we had to drive home that day, I slept the whole way waking up to be :sick: every hour. No fun.

I also got sort of :sick: one day when I was younger. Walking into Epcot in the evening after being at MGM all day, I just vomited right in the trashcan walking in. I think it may have just been the heat though...it was bad that day.

kathiep
06-26-2007, 08:32 PM
I came down with strep throat midway through my first trip when I was 11.

I completely missed Tomorrowland - Space Mountain and all.:(

Amy_617
06-26-2007, 08:42 PM
We were on our honeymoon when DH got very sick. We went to Epcot that night and we got the snow cones from Japan. Well, he couldn't eat the whole thing because it made him feel very ill. :ill: We went straight to our room at the resort...and that was it. He was :sick: the entire night. It was bad. I tried to help him as much as I could, but I didn't handle that very well either. :ack: So, with no sleep that entire night...we pretty much nap the entire next day. Thankfully by about 3 p.m. he was feeling better. So, we heading back out to the parks. To this day...every time I stop to get a snow cone at Epcot....he refuses to get another one. Poor guy. I have to have mine EVERY trip though....:secret:

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
06-26-2007, 10:20 PM
I was not feeling so hot the night before we left home for our last trip.
By the time we got to Pop to start our vacation I was feeling like I had been hit by a mack truck. Fever, chills, cough and really weak. DH took the kids to the pool and I crawled right into bed. :ill: I took some motrin, my inhaler(I was wheezing) and went to sleep. By that night I was feeling a little human and the next day I got up, took the meds again and sucked it up. It was a pretty tought couple of days but by the middle of the vacation I was much better.

Weirdly, my kids get a really nasty cough every time we go to WDW. We don't know if it is the plane, the ac in the room, or what. We bring their asthma meds and cough syrup each time just waiting for it.

LovinWDW
06-26-2007, 10:39 PM
Last Halloween our DD 4 threw up after MNSSHP. We thought it was from all the candy she ate because she ususlly does not eat that much. She went on to throw up 11 more time through out the night. The next afternoon she was at BBB like nothing ever happened. 12 hour virus? That day confirmed she is a little trooper!

Goofy Pluto
06-26-2007, 10:40 PM
Back on our trip in 1997, we were mid-way through out trip when we changed hotels moving from the Disney Institute to the Yacht & Beach Club. We checked in but couldn't get into our room yet so we walked over to Epcot.

We were walking through World Showcase near Germany when all of the sudden I just started feeling light-headed. I mean all I wanted to do was go to sleep. I just felt so tired and weak! I didn't know why!

So I walked back to the hotel with my Mom (very slowly) to see if we could get into the room just so I could lay down. I was down and out for the next two days. All I wanted to do was sleep. It really stunk too because I didn't get a chance to enjoy the really nice pool they have there and missed a EMH night, which was a lot different back then and much more special because not as many people did it. But I got a lot of rest and felt better in a couple of days.

In any event, it's only years later that I figured out that probably had heat exhaustion! That was a pretty dangerous situation considering I didn't get proper treatment. But I managed to pull through and I'm fine now.

I actually got it again a couple of years later on a cruise when I went for a jog on the upper deck. I felt fine when I started but by the time I finished, again, I felt drained and tired. But this time I knew what it was and got proper treatment. And now I know what to do if, heaven forbid, it should happen again.

Joanna
06-26-2007, 10:57 PM
We came down with a flu virus on Christmas Day! Here is Mom and Dad...sleeping off a virus while poor DD felt cooped up at the hotel. By 2pm, both of us were feeling well enough to go play a few rounds of Fantasis mini golf.

#1disneyfan
06-26-2007, 11:12 PM
Other than eating something that didn't agree with me, i have been lucky (knocking on wood since we leave in 2 weeks). However, my DD11 has not been so lucky. Every trip to date she has fallen ill the week or day before we are scheduled to leave.

When she was 6 she was in the hospital for 3 days due to strept throat and severe dehydration.

When she was 8, she had a 24 hr bug, ending about 6 hours before the plane ride, phew!

When she was 9, she contracted some sort of illness after swimming in the pool at POFQ. It was on our 3rd day. They put her on heavy duty antibiotics and she was knocked out for 24 hrs solid. The following day, we took it easy and the antibiotics took a toll on her digestive system.

The 2 times following that trip have been fairly uneventful, and we hope to keep it that way. (knocking on wood yet again!)

Camping Mom
06-27-2007, 12:27 AM
In 1992, we took our first trip to Disney. Now I didn't know if we would ever be back so I had a schedule all laid out for every day. (We saved for two years for this trip.) The day we left for DW, my then 9 year old came down with 103 degree fever. I gave him Tylenol, Advil, and let him sleep all the way from the Dallas area to Pensecola. He then had 104. Again, I loaded him up on Tylenol and cooled him down with a bath. We got to DW late the next night and when we got up to go into the parks, he was still running 103. Bless his heart...he cried and said "Mom, please just give me more Tylenol...I have to go into the park!!" Being a bad mom, I did. I really wanted him to sleep. We were in the parks a few hours and came back to let him sleep. He seemed better the next day till he rode BTM and his asthma kicked in. I had to take him into some bushes and beat his back to help him unclog and draw a breath. You should have seen the looks we got!!! That has been it for us as far as illness....other than being so :sick: after Mission Space.

mrsgaribaldi
06-27-2007, 06:16 AM
One time I got a sore throat and then a strange rash on my face. In Feb I got a wicked migraine at the Pirates and Princess Party. I was so sad that we had to miss everything. Finally I was sitting on the steps leading to the train station and crying because I felt so terrible, then we went back to the hotel. But we missed the fireworks and I was so disappointed:(

diznedreamin
06-27-2007, 09:49 AM
The year that I went with my in-laws, I was fine up until the day before we left. We were in Epcot, we went to eat at The Garden Grill and by the time we left, I couldn't breathe, my throat hurt, and both my ears hurt. I was miserable from that point on. We boarded the plane the next day, which was Sunday, landed in Boston around 1pm, got home around 3pm and went straight to the walk-in at the hospital. The doctor's told me I had a major sinus infection, an infection in both ears, and a throat infection. They said I was lucky that I didn't cause any more damage to my ears by flying, talk about pain!!! The doctor gave me 5 different medications!!! On top of all that, I had to start a new job on Monday! Let's just say, I am no longer with that company!:D

biodtl
06-27-2007, 10:05 AM
We've been pretty lucky so far (knock on wood). The closest thing to being sick at WDW was on our last trip, when DH was recovering from a bad accident. He had been in a wheelchair, a walker, crutches and a cane and was finally walking on his own.

The first day there, I tried to get him an ECV, but he insisted that he would be fine walking. Within a couple hours, he was in a lot of pain and could barely walk. It took him 90 minutes to go from Adventureland to the bus stop so he could go back to the hotel and rest.

Needless to say, he didn't hesitate to get the ECV after that.

A Mouse Fan
06-27-2007, 10:49 AM
One of my biggest fears came true on our last trip to WDW in December 2006...we both got SICK!!! It's SO difficult with all the planning we put into our trips and the great restaurants we had made reservations for. I should have known though as 2006 was a horrible year for us...unfortunately lots of major illnesses (cancer, burns- that sent DH to the hospital for almost 2 months!! etc.) Anyways the first couple days were great we really relaxed and enjoyed ourselves...and then all of the sudden we both felt really drained and both came down with horrible colds...sore throats, cough etc. I am convinced someone in our hotel room before us was sick and we caught it. Next time I am bringing my Lysol and spraying the room before anybody touches ANYTHING. The last night we had planned to eat at our favorite restaurant Le Cellier...we dragged ourselves their...only to find out I had lost my ability to taste anything....oh man was I MAD :mad:

Rayadragon
06-27-2007, 12:37 PM
I got a bad cold during our most recent trip. I was sooo happy because we were eating at Kona Cafe that night, and a couple of days later my brother and I were going to MNSSHP for the first time (couldn't wait for that!!). I started feeling sick that morning, and wasn't doing so good at Kona Cafe. Went to the gift store to by some medicine, and all they had for colds was the Nyquil (however you spell it) for night time. The next day I was more or less comatose because of the medicine, apparently I managed to scare my family because of it. Luckily I was mostly okay during MNSSHP, until the last 30 min or so. The bus ride back was NOT fun.

meldan98
06-27-2007, 12:42 PM
One year I went to Las Vegas and got a horrible cold and had completely lost my voice and had a terrible cold. We then drove from Las Vegas to DL and I had to go to Kaiser as soon as we got there because I was having trouble breathing. I had bronchitis, strep throat, and a sinus infection. We went back to the hotel and I slept all day, then the next day, I toughed it out and we spent NYE at the park.

Another year, we went to DL and I thought I lost my wallet and was so stressed out about it, by the end of the day I had a horrible migrane and :sick: right after the Electrical parade and then went back to the hotel to go to sleep. As my DH was cleaning out the back pack, he found my wallet.

Last year, my DD had a horrible cold right before we left, and she just wasn't getting any better. I called the doctor and he got her in. He listened to her chest and ordered an xray. Talk about freaking mom out. Come to find out, she had the beginning stages of phnemonia. My dd took one look at me and started crying once I told here we would have to skip going to see Mickey. The dr. felt horrible. He asked me if we were flying and since we weren't and she would have one full day of rest for the drive and we could take it easy and let her get plenty of rest, we could still go. The first day, she was pretty quiet and slept a lot, the second day, she ran up to Mickey and gave him a big hug!

snowflakegirl
06-27-2007, 01:01 PM
On our first family trip when I was 7 and my sister was 1 1/2 we discovered that she was lactose intolerant (after a trip to the emergency room).

Our second trip 2 years later sent us to the emergency room again so that my mother could get her ring cut off her finger as her finger had swollen for some reason and her ring was cutting off circulation to the rest of her finger and we couldn't get it off.

The last day of our third trip my sister (then 6) just didn't feel quite right. We got in the car that night to start driving home (we lived in New Hampshire) ... when we woke up the next morning in the car (my parents always drove through the night) my sister had full blown chicken pox!

You'd think we would have felt that Disney was unlucky somehow by that point, but we went again four years after that and everything was fine thank goodness. And somehow those events never spoiled it for me. (Although it took my sister a little longer to get bitten by the Disney bug, and I don't think it's ever been as strong for her as me, poor girl).

angedeaile
06-27-2007, 01:43 PM
My allergies were acting up a week before we were to leave. I figured it was too late to change our plans and it was nothing to be too concerned about...so we just went regardless.

Our first day at DW, I was a coughing and wheezing mess. With the humidity and different allergies than I was use to, things just got worse. My allergy flare up turned into a full blown respiratory infection in a matter of two days! Thank goodness I had the same thing happen a few months prior and had medicine on hand incase.

Infact, I had that medicine with me everywhere we went. It was the only thing that would calm my cough for atleast a few hours. It was so bad that when I would get scared or laugh, I would get close to hyperventilating from coughing so much.

My brother said he thought I was going to die on Splash Mountain from all my coughing and gasping: blush:

A week after the trip was over, I was finally in good health. Either way, DW is the best place to not feel so great….all the fun and excitement helps you forget that you are miserable.:mickey:

BD
06-27-2007, 02:43 PM
I believe it was 2004, while waiting for the boat back to WL from MK my 10yo felt sick and so my wife hurried here back to the bathroom outside the gate. Well, she didn't make it. (I'll skip the specifics) They got her into a stall and cleaned her up but she needed new pants. My wife goes out to find a CM and tells her of the problem. (In the mean time the rest of us had taken the last boat back to WL).

The CM asked what size daughter wore and went and got her some sweats from a nearby shop and refused to take any payment. Then, since they had missed the last boat back, the CM went down to one of the off-duty busses and had it take them both back to WL.

After they back to the room and tell the story, my daughter says, "Disney Magic".
BD

Note:
While my daughter and I were doing Carrousell of Progress she had a bathroom emergency and so we walked to the back and noticed no way out except the door. As we pushed it open and walked out 2 CMs came running around the ride to see what happened. We had shut down the ride by opening the door which I had no idea what would happen.

Disdad13
06-27-2007, 03:53 PM
On our trip last September, I started not feeling well the second to last day of our trip. I felt pretty bad in the morning (sore throat, ear ache, hot flashes, general aches and pains), and it got worse through the day. I was really disappointed because we had reservations at Yachtsmans that night. We still went, but I didn't enjoy it very much. The next morning I felt even worse. We spent the day at DTD before our 7:00pm flight home. I thought my head was going to explode on our descent! We then had a 2 hour drive home from the airport. The next day I went to the Dr. and had an ear infection and a sinus infection.

A few of you have mentioned that Airborne stuff. Does it really work?

momof3boysinTN
06-27-2007, 04:22 PM
The first couple of times we went it sems one or so of us got sick (virus or something) So last year I was sure to carry bathroom cleaner, lysol and hard surface sanitizer. I use it in the hotel room twice a day. Also dish liquid to keep our refillable mugs cleaned daily and DS 2's sippy cups really clean. We carried hand santitizer in a cup holder in the stroller and used it often in the parks and before eating. Reminded DS 10 an DS 15 not to touch all of the hand rails waiting on rides. Plus we took our vitimins before and during our trip to keep our immune system built up. No one got sick. it may all sem a little overboard but it worked and is so worth it for noone to be sick at WDW!!:mickey:

kadesha
06-28-2007, 06:30 PM
My 2 year old got sick while we were there in May. We were only there for 6 days, and the last 3 were terrible. We spent most of a day at Celebration Hospital. The next day we went to magic kingdom and were grand marshals of the family fun day parade, it was so hot and she was running a very high temperature while we were riding on the firetruck. I couldn't wait for it to be over so we could go back to the room. Then the last day I thought she was better so we went to Chef Mickey's and she threw up! :( It was a rough trip!

DivaLuvsDisney
06-28-2007, 07:29 PM
I didn't "get" sick because I already was, but I had no idea what happened to me could happen.

Last June I went with my daughter, only eight weeks out of grueling chemo and radiation. I felt pretty good, or so I thought, until muscle fatigue set in. Walking was impossible and agonizing. So I decided to rent one of those electronic scooters and used them for our five day trip. I can't tell you how fabulous the CM's were to me. When they discovered why I was using it, they would call ahead to other parks, to make sure one was on hand for me. Another CM had noticed my "CANCER *****" tee-shirt (the name of a charity for cancer research) and gave me a huge smile, asked if he could give me a hug, and praised me for my bravery, telling me I should be so proud of myself. When I noticed tears in his eyes, I had them in my own.

Funny how "getting sick" can sometimes be a good thing.

Night Pirate
06-28-2007, 09:35 PM
Well I never got sick sick but my dad a while ago got a 24 hour bug and had to stay at CBR for a day. Mouse keeping brought him home made chicken noodle soup. It was soooo nice of her! Then just last year something happend w/ my mom were she saw what looked like the rewind of everything she ate that day, if you get what I mean. that must have been an interesting evening.:ill:

r4kids
06-28-2007, 09:57 PM
A few of you have mentioned that Airborne stuff. Does it really work?

We have used it for our last 2 trips and yes it does. We use it at home. We can't stand the taste but the thought of all railings, knobs, ride handles, etc :sick: the kids touch, it's worth the bad taste. I am also going to use the lysol in the hotel room. Great idea! I bring hand sanitizer with me too. Anything to stay healthy :mickey:

princessimagineer
06-28-2007, 10:11 PM
i was sick in our '03 trip. i cant quite remember how it started, it was just in the middle of the week i had to go to one of those hospital places nearby. i just remember feeling very dizzy if i walked to much. i was holding my moms arm for most of the time because i felt so light headed that i thought i would just wonder off (i was 13, so i was scared).

my mom was sick last vacation. i dont think we went to the doctors down there for her though.

speeking of using airborne and lysol, for about a month befor our trips my mom has always gotten me and my sister hand sanitizer and told us to use it all the time in school so were not sick for vacation.

True Disney Fan
06-28-2007, 11:06 PM
:ill: It is really sad to get to DisneyWorld and then get sick. As I read thru the various notes above, I wonder, how much could have been triggered by stress, fatigue, and lack of hydration or nourishment.

Let's admit, we are excited to get there, spent a lot of time getting ready, and have(most people) pushed ourselves thru the parks at long time intervals without proper breaks. WE have not eaten right, did stay in the heat for long time intervals:(and most likely, drank very little. If we had any ongoing sign of illness that had started or was underlying,(as noted in some comments),we just pushed as hard only to come into a full blown concern. And, don't forget, how many of us, (Me too), have walked around in the rain or soaked from rides and tried to stay warm while in and out of the air conditioned areas...

Oh, what we go thru to have fun with the "MAGIC" :mickey:

little disney lovers
06-29-2007, 03:09 AM
We travel from Australia, so we really don't want to get sick that far away from home. We see our doctor a few weeks before we leave and get our flu vaccines. He also gives us a travel medicine pack. It has a broad spectrum antibiotic, anti-nasea medication, anti-histamines, gastrolyte (for dehydration) and a cold & flu day and night tablet pack. Also hand sanitiser gel. We start vitamins about a month out to build up our immune system. It may seem like we are slightly paranoid, But better to be safe than sorry!
My doctor tells me there is a smorgasboard of germs and colds at the airport, with so many people from so many places converging in one place, YUK! Also in most cases, you are going into a different climate than what your body is used to. Extreme heat can seriously slow you down or make you sick very fast, Drink lots of water and cut down on caffeine (It's a dieretic).
Try to eat well to keep your body fuelled and watch yor sugar intake!

Lucky we got the antibiotic, On our trip to DL in 2005, My ears and cheeks started burning and I came out in this huge rash. My ears swelled up in a rash that made them look like cauliflowers! Still don't know what it was, tried the anti-histamines, didn't work. Went to the antibiotics and it cleared up over night. Lucky, I didn't want to look like a freak in all my DL photo's!
Also DH got sick on our 3rd night out of 10 during our 2006 trip. Started aching and got a temp, I dosed him up with the cold & flu tablets, took the kids to DL for dinner, parade and fireworks, and so he could rest. He was good to go the next day, as long as I kept him dosed up!
Some of you have had way worse scenarios at DL and WDW, I really feel for you, I'm glad you all came through it OK. :thumbsup:

Becky'sMom
06-29-2007, 07:37 AM
I am one of those who gets sick just as a trip approaches.....unless I take airborne!
I am a compulsive planner and the stress of the final days preparing for Disney weakens my immune system. Whenever I remember to start taking airborne a few days before we go somewhere, I'm fine.
They make airborne for kids too, since Becky is only 4, I give her 1/2 of a junior - there's no real medicine in it, just vitamins, minerals and herbs, but I err on the side of caution when it comes to her safety.

WhenYouWishUponAStar
06-29-2007, 08:45 AM
Our family have only ever been struck by illness at disney once, and it was me.
I was sick the night we had arrived in Disney (probably due to a mixture of jet lag and too much chocolate at half 1 in the morning) but just thought it was a one off.
Unfortunately I was sick almost every hour most of the day but refused to miss out on our trip to MK. Because we weren't sure if we would be able to find the toilets soon enough we had plastics bags just incase. I was sick after we got off the monorail and felt so guilty that the first thing some people saw when they got to MK was me being :sick: into a bag!
Apologies to anyone who had to witness it :blush:
CMs were really nice to me (i was about 12) telling me that they hoped i got better soon and i was fine the next day!
Disney Magic!! :mickey:

AdventurerKim
06-29-2007, 09:06 AM
I got some weird stomach bug on Thanksgiving 2006 and couldn't eat dinner at Cape May, my favorite place, which still disappoints me to this day. I ran to the bathroom a few times and had to go back to the hotel in a shuttle bc a bus ride would have killed me. I spent our last day in bed and felt better that night at dinner, but somehow this turned into a sinus infection once we got home that weekend. I've had colds in WDW on several occasions.

Tinkerfreak
06-30-2007, 08:22 AM
Just a tip about Airborn. The kids ones are the same price as the adult ones but if you cut the adult ones in half you get twice as many doses for the same price. I believe it actually says right on the adult package that you can give a child a 1/2 a tablet. It really does work for us. We take it in the morning and at night a couple of weeks before we go and while we are there and this is the first year nobody got sick.
The year DH, DD and MIL all got sick was the worst for us. They stayed in the room for 2 days just to make sure they were better. We WILL NOT go near people when we are sick because we don't want to expose everyone else to it. Why should we ruin someone else's vacation because we went into the parks when sick spreading our germs around. If more people were more thoughtful about this there would be alot fewer people getting sick. I realize you pay alot for your vacation and you want to enjoy it but so has everyone else there. Sorry about the rant as you can tell this is one of my pet peeves.:mad::mad::soapbox::rant: If you are sick stay away until you recover.

disneymom2000
06-30-2007, 05:02 PM
I took my mom & little sister to their first (and only) trip to disney. The next morning after arriving I started getting a fever and aches until by the evening I had the full-blown flu. I bought tylenol and took it reloigiously every day and they never had a clue how bad I felt. It was definately the worst trip I ever had but glad I was there.

DisneyDudet
06-30-2007, 06:38 PM
Out of all the trips, it was me... twice.. who got hit.

The first time was in June of 2003. That morning my little monthly visitor came, and I was crampy all morning. Well, at Epcot, we were at The Land. Mom and Dad did the ride, while I walked... all the way... across Future World... to first aid. When you're feeling faint and it hurts to move your abdominal muscles... not a fun trip in the June heat. I get there and ask for advil. The nurse asked me how much. I usually take 600 mg, so he gave me 6 packets, three pills now and three for later. Very nice man!! I took it, and met my parents back at the Land. We did HISTA and I couldn't take it anymore. I told them I was going back to the hotel (the Dolphin) to rest. I rode the boat (we walk usually) and got in my heavenly bed, turned on resort TV and fell alseep. My parents came back and brought me gummy bears from Germany. We went out to eat, and I was pretty good the rest of the trip!

Next was when we went for 9 days in May/June 2005. We fly, get there, and have fun the whole day! At exactly 4am, I woke up with the worst earache of my life!!! I took 3 advil, of course, and nada. That night we went to Walgreens and got some ear drops. It helped with the pain for the most part, but I fell like i had slime in my ear the whole time! I couldn't hear out if it and if something was really loud (the sounds on Space Mountain were the worst for me for some odd reason) my ear would make the worst noise (it used to do that anyway... but really bad this trip). So I was plugging my ear a lot. Finally around 5 days later, I was pain free, but still sensitive to sounds. It was bad a couple days there. Now, my ear doesn't make the weird noise with loud sounds!

We usually do airborne before and during the trip. Hand sanitizer is great as well. I've now started to wash my hands before eating, regardless of the hand gel. Washing your hands is the best way to ward off germs... spoken like a true nurse!

Anyway, I know mine was mild compared to some, but man.. nothing incapacitates you like an earache!!

dtootsie42
06-30-2007, 07:27 PM
I got a horrible kidney infection that knocked me off my feet. I have had infections and stones before and usually end up in the emergency room. This time around I had medication with me so all I could do is take my medication drink gallons of water and wait for the pain to go away. Thank goodness it struck towards the end of the stay but I was thankful to get home and get to the doctor.

Tynkerbelle
06-30-2007, 08:07 PM
When I was about 12, my best friend came with us to WDW and came down with the chicken pox. Fortunately, nobody else caught it from her...

Last September, I got really sick. It happened on day three of a two week trip. I was sitting at Cirque du Soleil when all of a sudden my throat started to close up and I got very warm & achy. I had that overwhelming feeling of exhaustion - it was awful. We had to cancel our breakfast the next morning and I slept most of the day. I felt OK enough to go to dinner, but nothing tasted right. That was pretty much how it was the rest of the trip - felt OK one minute, lousy the next and none of my meals were enjoyable :(

I never did fully shake it until sometime in Dec/Jan....

dixielandings
07-01-2007, 12:00 AM
In fall of '04, DH and I both got a stomach virus (gross). He got it first - I had to call in a dr. who gave him "happy" anti-nausea meds then prescribed 2 units of IV fluids. When I started 2 days later, I got the same "happy" meds but got to skip the IV. We were staying at the Dolphin with a very nice view of the Swan and Boardwalk. I guess it could've been worse. But we did have to miss our massages at GF spa. Bummer...

jrpersinger
07-01-2007, 08:13 PM
New Years Day 2005, I spent the day in the hotel very very sick. Not sure exactly what I had, but it was a really bad stomach bug.

This past week, I spent my time there passing kidney stones! Thank God for short lines at most things and fasspasses for the long ones or I would have never been able to make it in the really long lines!

My BIL had roto-virus this trip. He decided to share it with my kids. It just didn't hit them until yesterday on the drive home. Needless to say, it took us until today to get home! YUCK! :ack:

Belle08
07-03-2007, 01:17 AM
In february at the pirate and princess party, I ended up with food poisoning from the candy! The CM's were incredibly nice to me, especially the boat pilots. About 2-3 hours after eating the candy I got horrible stabbing pains in my side. I tried to hide it from my parents, which did not end well. My dad decided to play around and pick me up and throw me over his shoulder-and I promptly threw up. We headed for the boat docks, and the boat captains were amazing! They let me have water from their cooler and gave me towels and blankets. The concierge sent me ginger ale and crackers the next day, and the maid entertained me for a few minutes by showing me how to make a cloth bunny. :mickey:

Morpheous
07-03-2007, 03:39 AM
Well, I got sick at Disneyland once when I was younger.. I had just got over a cold and we were there over there with a bunch of our family. About the Third or Fourth day we were walking to the Park and my ears starting hurting. Ended up going back to the Hotel and I stayed there for a hour or two. I ultimatly ended up spending the day at the ER.. Mostly Waiting Because it was pretty much full ended up having bad ear infections in both ears. Doctor gave me Codine and Anti-Biotics and I got to spend the last 2 hours of the day in the park. The Next day I was sick to my stomach for about two hours thanks to the Codine...:ill: which ended up passing and then I was pretty much fine the rest of the trip.. Thats pretty much the only time Ive ever gotten really sick in any Disney Park. Hope its the last too!

Mickey'sApprentice
07-04-2007, 01:48 PM
One of us has gotten sick on our last 2 trip to WDW. In 2005, we both got a 48 hour flu-bug. We were both feverish and had no energy.:ill: We laid up in the hotel room until 11 or 12 Noon and finally got up the strength to go to the parks. After doing that and loading up on Robitussin FLU, we were ok after a couple of days.

On our last trip, DW had just gotten out of the hospital for having a high heart rate. Little did we know it was an allergic reaction to Alleve. She decided to take Alleve when we got there in anticipation of her feet hurting. Sure enough, after that her old symptoms returned and we lost a day at MGM as the result. She now knows not to take Alleve and her allergy to it has been noted in her medical file.