PDA

View Full Version : DDP Age Breakdown

NY GOOFY
06-26-2007, 04:34 PM
My oldest DS turned 10 this year and 2nd DS is now 9 (yes Irish Twins). For our 8 night stay DS 10 now costs $312 for DDP and cost for 9 year old is $88. 10 year old gets adult portions, appetizers, etc. which he will never eat all of. Seems there should be a middle ground. Any opinions?

princessjojo
06-26-2007, 05:10 PM
I agree with you, but I also have to agree that the line must be drawn somewhere. I am 30something and don't eat adult portions. I still order off the kiddie menu where I can. DS who is now 11 eats almost as much as DH and there's about 125lb difference between the two (DH isn't too much overweight either). We ended us using 2 TS at dinner often and sharing the food between 3 of us since with appetizers, there's so much food. Then we were able to save a TS meal for a special dinner that uses 2TS per person. It just worked out for us this way.

Next trip, younger DS will be 10 and doesn't eat adult portions, but eats more than kiddie menu has. We may still share meals often and save a TS for a special dinner, but don't really now at this time yet.

I've found that if it's something you really want to take advantage of, you tend to find ways to make the most of it. Others don't agree and choose not to use the DDP and that's their option. We chose it more for the convenience rather than cost. And either way, how many other vacations would you be able to get a lunch, full dinner, and daily snack for 2 kids over 8 days, with tip included (at this time) for $400. We couldn't, not of that caliber (steaks, fresh fish, etc.) anyway.

DizneyRox
06-27-2007, 07:31 AM
Unfortunately opinions matter not with the DDP. Ages have been defined and are part of the program.

Many threads have gone back and forth on this issue, and I personally I don't see a problem with the current rules. The difference in the quality of the food (kids menu vs adult menu) justifies the difference in price between the plans. I don't think CMs would have an issue with adults ordering off the kids menu if there's a desire, and if you want a child to order off the adult menu, there is no problem calling them an adult on the reservation.

vamaggie
06-27-2007, 07:56 AM
It seems "odd" to me that a 10 yr old is considered an adult but it also makes sense. Most 10 yr olds will want to ride all the "adult" rides so they should pay for an adult ticket. So it also seems to make sense to consider them an adult for the DDP. I know 7-8 yr olds who eat more than me and I also know 11 yr olds who only like nuggests & pizza. Disney has to make the cut off somewhere and 10 actually seems to be fair to me.

WE are going in Nov and my 10 yr old is looking forward to adult choices. It makes me feel better that he has more options and it won't break our budget (he has filet mignon tastes!) With your boys, maybe they could share the adult and children's meals so they can maybe try something new and even out the distribution of food.

Mickey91
06-27-2007, 10:17 AM
It would be nice, since you are paying for the difference, if Disney would allow you choose the dining plan that suits your family. It wouldn't take much in planning. Just say I want a dining plan for my party. Please give me 3 smalls and 2 large. If they could come up with a middle ground also it would be nice, but I don't know of any restaurant that continues to treat a child over ten different from an adult. Anyhow, at least if you could choose which option it would be nice. I personally am glad my DD finally hit the adult meal this year. It was tough for her to have meager choices when the rest of us had wonderful meals. The kids need to be given more freedom. The standard kid's menu they have come out with for all of WDW is terrible!