PDA

View Full Version : From Pop to POR or POFQ?

WonderlandsMostWanted
06-26-2007, 03:10 AM
Bear with me, there's a bit of explaining to follow!

OK, so I'm planning my Disney "dream vacation within reason" for this December. My boyfriend and I (28 and 30) are traveling to WDW and meeting up with my dad to celebrate my birthday and Christmas, since my dad winters in FL and I don't get to spend any holidays with him anymore. My boyfriend has never been to ANY Disney park, and while in my lifetime, I've had about 5 or 6 Disney vacations, I've only stayed onsite once at ASMu before. We were initially planning on a simple 5 day, 4 night one park per day, all day type of trip. I decided that if we're going to do this, we're going to really have fun and enjoy it this year. So, we extended the vacation to 10 days, 9 nights.

After reading up extensively on this and other websites I really started thinking about our choice to keep things "affordable" and stay at Pop Century. Dad has a heart condition and will have to take many breaks during our trip to come back to the hotel and relax. We'll be there at the same time as the Pop Warner groups this year, and I worry about him really being able to have relaxing/quiet time at Pop when he really needs it during the day. So, we're splurging (yes, on our incomes, a Moderate is splurging so please refrain from advocating Deluxe resorts in your replies) and staying at a Moderate.

So I called WDW to upgrade our room. I was hoping for POFQ since it's smaller, highly recomended and most rooms will be in close enough proximity to the main buildings/bus stops that I don't have to worry about dad making it he's having a rough day, and so that we will have the best possible, most relaxing and rewarding vacation we all can. Well, They could only get us into POR or CBR when I called today. I know CBR can be far more spread out, and dad was absolutely not interested, so I chose POR.

Now, knowing all of these things, and having read that POR has been offered to Pop Warner groups in the past, I'd like to get opinions about whether I should keep trying to call back and get into POFQ if a room opens up, or if I should just be happy to have POR. Also, has anyone here bene in POR while the Pop Warner kids are there and how much, if any, problem did it cause?

This is the first time I've tried to plan a vacation like this and I'm just trying to give my two favorite guys the best possible vacation that I can. If you made it through reading this whole thing :blush: and have ANY input, I'd appreciate it! :notworth:

wilshade
06-26-2007, 05:48 AM
I have been to POP twice during Pop Warner time and here is my assessment.

Even at their peak, I did not find the Pop Warner kids to be of any concern to me at all. I saw them in the morning at the food court and that was about it.

I even made a few trips back to POP during the day for a break and did not find very many of them at the pools.

Some of them do make an appearance at the food court for dinner.

As for POR, it is only a "spillover" resort for Pop Warner, and I dont think there will be all that many of them there to begin with.

Even if there were, they would be gone during the day. They will either be at their games or in the parks.

They are definitely not a threat to anyone trying to relax at POR during the day.

mook3y
06-26-2007, 08:21 AM
Our only 2 trips to WDW have been staying at POR and POFQ. We like the resorts very well.

Make sure on your reservation that you mention you would like a room as close to the main building and bustop as possible. Make sure you tell them it is for medical reasons too. Also, you might want to request a bottom floor too.

If you are not happy with where the room is, don't be afraid to go back and ask to move. Last year, at POFQ, I was 3.5 months post major surgery. we requested ground floor and they put us on the 3rd floor. My wife went down the next morning and arranged for a room on the bottom floor for us.

Mickey91
06-26-2007, 08:44 AM
I think you will enjoy POR. It is very relaxing and beautiful. At check in, request the closest room possible to the main building and bus stop to help minimize walking. But, as far as the walking is concerned, I don't think it will be any worse than at POP. I think you made a great choice. :mickey:

melcha
06-26-2007, 09:12 AM
HI, I just returned from POP CENTURY, and they were very accomadating I also have a heart condition. I had a note from my docter explaining my condition. they put me in room 6133 60 S building bottom floor 5101 is even closer. I ve also stayed at por and would save the money and stay at pop. also bring your DR medical note to guest relations in the first park you visit and they will assist you for all of the attractions (fastpass)for your whole party that way your dad can enjoy more:thumbsup:

WonderlandsMostWanted
06-26-2007, 06:34 PM
Well, I called back today and was able to get a room at POFQ!! We're paying a little extra for a water view room, but I think it will pay off. Being the first bus stop and on a smaller over all resort is no doubt going to pay off for my dad and that gives all of us peace of mind so it's woth the extra money. And, I'm really excited to try the beignets!! (sp?) I have no idea exactly what they are, but I hear they are a must! :cloud9:

Thank you everyone for your input! I told the CM who adjusted the reservation for me about my dad's condition, and she put a bunch of notes in the computer to help our odds of getting the best overall room for my dad!

We're still a quick walk, bus ride or boat ride to POR, so I think we'll take some time checking things out over there as well.

All that's left to do is make our CP ressies and finish saving money! I am SO flippin' excited! I love it when things work out for the best!

January-2007
06-26-2007, 09:49 PM
I am SO flippin' excited! I love it when things work out for the best!

I'm so glad everything worked out for you, how very exciting! Here's hoping you have a magical vacation, and happy planning!!