PDA

View Full Version : WDI Guide Books

A Foolish Mortal
06-25-2007, 09:53 PM
I'm an avid reader of the Imagineer's Eye Tour of the parks guide book that they have out. I noticed, though, that the Magic Kingdom, Epcot, and Animal Kingdom books have debuted, but not the MGM one. This makes me wonder, are there major changes coming to the studios???? Maybe there's a reason AK got a guide book first, because you'd think they'd make the books in chronological order. Or, this could be nothing, and it's me being paranoid. I'm not quite sure right now.

lockedoutlogic
06-25-2007, 10:39 PM
I love the books too...and obviously noticed that MGM was skipped.

It could be because it's changing its name...or that they are doing major renovation....

But the most likely reason is that MGM falls well below the other parks in love from WDI.

Remember that MGM spawned out of a proposed EPCOT pavilion that was listed as "coming soon" in the park in 1986....
....MGM was rushed into being in 1989 to meet crowd demand and be a cornerstone of further hotel development as much as anything else.

Undoubtedly many at WDI don't particularly like what was made on a rushed schedule...MGM remains the most incomplete park owned by Disney....with AK a close second if only because of a complete lack of food options.

WDWfanatic742
06-26-2007, 02:27 AM
MGM would probably be third behind California Adventure and Walt Disney Studios in Paris (I think it was that park anyway).

MGM was mostly rushed because even though they announced that they were building a movie related park before Universal announced that they were in Orlando, both undoubtedly want to beat the other. Which is why both parks weren't that good in the beginning. MGM had only two attractions when it opened (GMR and the Backlot tour) and hasn't had a true new ride since probably ToT and RnRC. Universal has added new things every two years for the most part, and finally added it's first thrill ride to it's park as well just in 2005.

sillyolbear
06-26-2007, 08:56 AM
I'm sure someone will be along to correct my memory if I'm wrong, but I believe the next edition of the Imagineers Field Guide is rumored to be Disneyland.

I also seem to remember the question of why no Studios edition next was kind of sidestepped.

JPL
06-26-2007, 09:19 AM
The Studios is in the middle of an Identity crisis it went from working studio and theme park to just a theme park. It has a losely based theme now around TV and Movie production and some live entertainment. The shows are egtting very stale and dated for repeat visitors. While it still has some great attractions it's difficult to spend an entire day there. It's popularity is dropping and fast. Most people are starting to see it as the Disney Park they can skip on short trips. I know I have spent much less time there over the years as I watched the park decline steadily.

I'm guessing that with the decline of popularity they are afraid it just won't sell as well as the other parks. They may be waiting to keep it as their last title not jepordize the project.

lockedoutlogic
06-26-2007, 10:24 AM
I'm sure someone will be along to correct my memory if I'm wrong, but I believe the next edition of the Imagineers Field Guide is rumored to be Disneyland.

I also seem to remember the question of why no Studios edition next was kind of sidestepped.

I believe you're correct....the next book is Disneyland.....probably followed by Disney Cruise Line...if I had to make a guess

lockedoutlogic
06-26-2007, 10:31 AM
MGM would probably be third behind California Adventure and Walt Disney Studios in Paris (I think it was that park anyway).

MGM was mostly rushed because even though they announced that they were building a movie related park before Universal announced that they were in Orlando, both undoubtedly want to beat the other. Which is why both parks weren't that good in the beginning. MGM had only two attractions when it opened (GMR and the Backlot tour) and hasn't had a true new ride since probably ToT and RnRC. Universal has added new things every two years for the most part, and finally added it's first thrill ride to it's park as well just in 2005.

correct...though universal has changed hands so many times that their orlando parks have stagnated somewhat. Since IOA opening in 1999....they did absolutely nothing to the park since until the new Harry Potter Land. The studios really only added MIB and the Mummy in the past 10 years.

MGM is more of a complete park than California Adventure and Studios Paris. Cali Adventure's main problems have always been attributed to size (from what i've heard...never been)....Studios Paris was a complete cheapskate disaster. What a pitiful excuse for a park...even one not owned by Disney. (had the unfortunate displeasure to actually enter that park...yuck!)

MGM has always been a kinda "up in the air" park. Never quite sure what to do or where to go. The wrangling over the animation department that ultimately led to its disbanding in 2001....took up much of the attention at MGM. Let's hope an expansion of the footprint and more first class new imagineering projects like Toy Story Mania is on the horizon....

GrumpyFan
06-26-2007, 11:18 AM
I noticed, though, that the Magic Kingdom, Epcot, and Animal Kingdom books have debuted, but not the MGM one. Maybe there's a reason AK got a guide book first, because you'd think they'd make the books in chronological order.

I wondered this too. I've got the first two (MK & Epcot), and have the third on my list. But, I found it puzzling when the AK book came out before MGM. I'm sure there is a good reason for it, perhaps they're waiting for more infomation regarding Toy Story Mania, so they can add it to the book. Another thought is since this attraction is still in development, they may have been asked by Imagineering or higher up, to wait until it opens so as not to give away any inside info on the attraction before it opens.

lockedoutlogic
06-26-2007, 01:09 PM
Again...I think everyone's going to "conspiracy theory" on this one.

Other than the Tower of Terror....there really isn't anything at MGM that I've ever scene or read was a "favorite" of the bigwigs in imagineering...

i just don't think the park has any clout at WDI

It is smaller...actually has very few kid friendly attractions.....needs major upgrades to the Lucas attractions.....and doesn't really offer that much...
Restaurants are ok....but they clearly corrected that "mistake" when they opened AK with no decent sit downs whatsoever...except 1 inconveniently located chain restaurant.

LarryBoy
06-26-2007, 02:40 PM
A somewhat related question:
Are the WDI books as good as they look? Are they worth the money? I have the giant WDI coffee table book (which I love), do the little books have basically the same things or are they packed full of new info? I'm really wanting to get them, I'm just trying to decide if it's worth the money.

GrumpyFan
06-26-2007, 02:56 PM
A somewhat related question:
Are the WDI books as good as they look? Are they worth the money? I have the giant WDI coffee table book (which I love), do the little books have basically the same things or are they packed full of new info? I'm really wanting to get them, I'm just trying to decide if it's worth the money.

I don't have that one, but I've seen it, and it's awesome. I believe the guidebooks or field guides are intended more as pocket reference guides to take along with you to the parks (if you want). I've really enjoyed the two that I have (MK & Epcot), as they are full of design info that was put into the building of the parks and attractions. So, as to whether or not they are the same or have new stuff in them, I would dare say they are similar and have a lot of the same stuff, but with maybe just a few other things that might not have been in the one you're referring to. Also, you might check out the reviews on Amazon, there are some pretty good comments there.

A Foolish Mortal
06-26-2007, 05:13 PM
I really enjoy the books. It's a nice insight to what is going on in the Imagineer's heads as they design the rides. I love seeing all the concept art for the different attractions. It's crazy all the different ways they could have looked.

lockedoutlogic
06-26-2007, 11:08 PM
There are two good new imagineering books on the horizon....

one has been delayed for about a year and a half and appears to be finally ready later this summer.....can't remember the title offhand, but should be easy to find

the other is on the Disney "Mountain" Range...due this falll

Love the books...the only thing out there that can occupy your imagination when you miss the real thing....

seanyred
06-27-2007, 02:11 PM
One thing I found interesting is that when discussin the Tree of Life and other "Weenie's" in new book. They skipped the Hat at MGM, I believe its because its not a very good "Weenie" . But for all of you who want to see the Hat go away...it makes we wonder if they did it on purpose....