PDA

View Full Version : Driving through DC on Black Friday

Goofy Pluto
06-25-2007, 03:31 PM
Hi everyone.

We'll be leaving to head to WDW on Black Friday. Yes, the big shopping day after Thanksgiving. We don't know exactly what time we'll be leaving (the earlier the better), but no later than lunchtime.

My question is: What's traffic like around DC on Black Friday? Would it be best to avoid this area at a particular time? It is a Friday, but considering it is a holiday for most people, we thought it might not be as bad/busy as it would be on a regular Friday. For anyone with any experience, just wondering what people's experience or knowledge is of travelling through DC on Black Friday.

Thanks.

Sorry! Just wanted to add that we're leaving from the Philly area.

vamaggie
06-25-2007, 05:23 PM
Coming from Philly down I95 you will probably hit mall traffic at the I-395/I-95 interchange in Springfield. You will also hit traffic going down I-95 south of that since Potomac Mills is right off 95 (and it is like the 2nd largest mall in the country I think). Going west around DC will not help because there are at least 2 really big malls on that side too (Montgomery and Tysons Corner) I would say get started early and be prepared for traffic. Good Luck!

jpH/keD
06-25-2007, 09:42 PM
I am born and raised in Northern VA. Been shopping plenty of Black Fridays and basically its a traffic jam. Tyson's corner and Tyson's 2 clog 495 and Springfield Mall, Pentagon City and Potomac Mills clog up 395 and 95. Also avoid 66 west since Fair Oaks Mall will be jammed. Also Woodrow Wilson draw bridge construction is also a big issue since they close down one whole side at a time. Start looking for alternate routes around this whole area. We will be at O'hana's for 7:50am ressies on Black Friday! I'll be thinking about you! Have a great and safe trip!:thumbsup:

BD
06-26-2007, 10:52 AM
I would suggest either timing your trip to be through DC by 8 or 9 am or possible avoid DC by taking either I-81 tot he west or Rt. 301 to the east around the city.

Since nobody works that day the traffic jams will be pretty localized to where the malls are.
Bob