PDA

View Full Version : dolphin/swan question

DisneyDreams09
06-25-2007, 03:12 PM
When we were planning last year, we glanced at the dolphin/swan resorts and i was just wondering what the deal with them is, they make it out to seem like they are completely different from all other resprts, is there something special about them that I am missing? I also noticed they don't participate with the magical express, anyone know why?
Thanks all!

Rachael the Newbie:mickey:

Figment!
06-25-2007, 04:19 PM
The Walt Disney World Swan and the Walt Disney World Dolphin are not owned or operated by the Walt Disney Company, although they are considered "on-property".

They are operated by Starwood Hotels and Resorts Worldwide.

The resorts use Disney Transportation and participate in Extra Magic Hours, but do not participate in the Disney Dining Plan or Magical Express.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
06-25-2007, 06:52 PM
With the S&D you can participate in EMH's and use Disney transportation. You can't charge to your room from the parks, but you can have your packages sent back to the gift shop at the hotel. They do have their own refillable mug.
What is special about these resorts is their location. You can walk to Epcot & MGM from there. Epcot is about 10 minutes and MGM is about 20 minutes.
You also have the Boardwalk and all it's amenities right there, lots of restaurants & shops & the night time entertainment.
You can use the facilities at both the Swan & Dolphin. And sometimes you can get a fantastic rate at these resorts.
As stated, they are not "official" Disney resorts. They are owned by Tishman, operated by Starwood & Disney is their landlord.
Personally, I love these resorts. You are staying in a 4+ star hotel and not paying as much as the surrounding resorts.
And as I've said a million times-the beds are the MOST comfortable I've ever slept in.

Mickeylover
06-26-2007, 01:59 PM
The Swan/Dolphin resorts are great. The Nurse rate (and they have Teacher rates too) is awesome. I'm booked at the end of August for $149 per night. This is a 4-star resort with spa and ammenties in a great location (especially for the grown-ups who want to be close to Epcot's backdoor to the World Showcase, the Boardwalk, and MGM). Its pool area is fabulous and the rooms (and beds) are very nice.

No Magical Express, but you get the benefits of guests for the Magic Hours and there is even a character breakfast on site. They have a National Car rental location at the site, which means you can rent a car from the airport and drive it to the hotel and turn it in if you don't need it until its time to go back.

I've stayed at many Disney resorts, and will split my stay between the Coronado and Dolphin when I'm there, but it really is the best of both worlds!

andreallybadeggs
06-27-2007, 06:28 PM
We split our last stay between the Dolphin and the POFQ. I was afraid my daughter would not like the Dolphin because it would not be "Disney enough" and, trust me, she is Disney through and through.
No worries-- she absolutely loved it and with the teacher rate I received it was a pretty good bargain as well. Would not hesitate to stay there again.:thumbsup:

mickeys_princess_mom
06-27-2007, 10:43 PM
What is special about these resorts is their location. You can walk to Epcot & MGM from there. Epcot is about 10 minutes and MGM is about 20 minutes...
You also have the Boardwalk and all it's amenities right there, lots of restaurants & shops & the night time entertainment...Personally, I love these resorts. You are staying in a 4+ star hotel and not paying as much as the surrounding resorts...
And as I've said a million times-the beds are the MOST comfortable I've ever slept in.
I'll second that 'emotion'!
I was perfectly happy in other resorts until we stayed at the Dolphin a few weeks ago--I'm afraid I may have been changed into a high-maintenance woman now!!! (But we did get a great teacher/nurse discount...) We quickly got used to the convenience and ease of riding across the lake instead of hanging onto a bus. The pool and beach area is out of this world, the rooms were wonderful, and the beds were aptly named "heavenly"....:cloud9: We'll definitely be back!