PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite Disney details/overlooked things to do

Grim Grinning Marathon Runner
06-24-2007, 10:56 PM
The family and I are heading down to the Happiest Place on Earth in about a month!:mickey:

We're going to be taking it a LOT slower with our 22 month old little one, so it will be a perfect time to really savor the Magic, and seek out those wonderful Disney details and often overlooked things to do or see. Please help me learn about some of your favorites.

Here are a couple of mine:

1. The "Singing in the Rain" streetlamp over by the Motorcars show at DIsney MGM Studios

2. The music and fountains around the Muppet area of Disney MGM Studios

3. The old REAL transplanted oak tree in Liberty Square at the MK

OK, now it's your turn, Tell me (and the rest of the Intercot gang) some great Disney details or overlooked things in the parks.

Rica
06-24-2007, 11:05 PM
I enjoy seeing the unique and perfect landscaping. It also amazes me to see how clean everything is uually kept. :mickey:

ryca1dreams
06-25-2007, 07:50 AM
I once didn't go into the parks and spent time riding the bus (To Boma) talking to people - finding out where they were from, what they had done that day, etc.

After Boma I went to the beach at the Poly, kicked off my shoes, put my feet in the sand, and watched Hallowishes. The weather was perfect and it was very relaxing.

My two overlooked things - meeting other people and slowing down to relax.

DDuck66
06-25-2007, 09:52 AM
Ever since we moved to the Tampa area, we will often go to WDW and not even go to one of the Parks. We will park at DTD and then take the buses to the different resorts just to check them out. It is amazing how much work and planning goes into the themeing at each of the different resorts...especially during the holidays.

Mousefever
06-25-2007, 10:14 AM
We enjoy walking the trails around the Tree of Life in the morning at Animal Kingdom, when everyone else is running for Expedition Everest or Kilaminjaro Safari. It's so peaceful and relatively cool and shady.

We also spend lots of time by the Imagination Pavilion in Epcot. We love playing with the fountains there. I think a 22 month old will love it!

:dory:

wilshade
06-25-2007, 10:31 AM
The Twister game at Pop Century!

wire0monkey
06-25-2007, 03:36 PM
I love meeting people at the resorts! I spent a great evening in the hot tub talking to people about their kids and grandkids one evening. I really enjoyed hearing about their families.

tink'72
06-25-2007, 03:47 PM
The music and fountains around the Muppet area of Disney MGM Studios...
I agree with this one. One of the things I always make it a point to see is the Muppets fountain in MGM. I just love it!

I also enjoy the fire pit at the AKL at night. Just amazing!

chick20679
06-25-2007, 03:48 PM
One of my favorite things to do, that seems to be often overlooked, is to see the Electrical Water Pageant. Our fave places to watch are Ft Wilderness and the Poly. It's so realxing to sit in the dark and watch the show. It fairly quiet, and there never seems to be many people around watching. Also, I love to really take my time when walking between lands - I love the way Disney changes the music ever so slightly, to make you really FEEL like you're in Adventure, or Frontier land, etc. The music gets me every time. THAT's the Disney Magic to me.

emmingo
06-25-2007, 09:57 PM
The fountains in DTD...the ones by the bus entrance that shoot up water...or the light-up sparkly sidewalks in Futureworld.

I do love sitting right at the end of Main Street in MK, people-watching and eating ice cream.

Narawen
06-25-2007, 10:00 PM
Metting other people while waiting for a show. Or seeing the same people throughout the day in random places. I also love when I'm on a ride with a child who's going for the first time, it's always great- especiialy on Splash mountain when they're waiting for the drop the entire time. :mickey:

DREAMADREAM93
06-25-2007, 10:23 PM
After Illuminations, there are sections of the ground in the park that have lights in them and the cracks in the walkways glow and lightup.
And then there some sections that have shapes that fly around on them.
Always worth seeing.
Its mezmerizingggg :]
22 month old would love it, im sure!

JOrdan :]

phillydan
06-25-2007, 10:58 PM
The talking water fountain at Epcot is always good for a laugh. We didn't seek it out, but found it accidentally.

LovinWDW
06-25-2007, 11:01 PM
One of the many things that I love to do is get a snow cone at the Japan pavillion in EPCOT. they have the best flavors, strawberry, honeydew and tangerine. I get all three of course. While your eating it just sit in the area where they have the drummers and people watch. I never do EPCOT without one.:thumbsup:

101pup
06-26-2007, 01:06 PM
I love riding bikes and checking out the petting zoo outside of the Wildnerness Lodge. They even have peacocks which may jump out in front of you. I also love renting the boats and checking out the views:thumbsup:

dolphinmickey9170
06-26-2007, 02:34 PM
We found the Wishing Well behind Cinderella Castle. I made several wishes there.

We love just sitting on the TTA for a few trips around, as long as there isn't a huge line they'll let you stay on.

Joanna
06-26-2007, 02:51 PM
- People watching
- Eating an ice cream cone while waiting for the parade
- Walking from MGM to Epcot on the trail
-Enjoying the street entertainers along the Boardwalk
-Observing the animals at the Animal Kingdom Lodge before dinner
-Sitting around the firepit at the Animal Kingdom Lodge after dinner
-Watching cartoons in the lobby of the hotels
-Enjoying a treat from the Boulangerie Patisserie
-Watching the street entertainers in the UK or China
-Visiting the komodo dragon
-The rose gardens on the way to World Showcase and the gardens in the Canada Pavillion
-Watching the little toy train in Germany
-Watching the African woodcarver in Epcot
-Sitting at the Flame Tree Barbecue and watching the birds, Expedition Everest, the Character Boat...
-Watching the Gorillas!

Joanna
06-26-2007, 02:52 PM
We love just sitting on the TTA for a few trips around, as long as there isn't a huge line they'll let you stay on.

I LOVE the TTA!

beksy
06-27-2007, 11:18 AM
Before this upcoming trip we've always stayed outside the world. One of our favorite things was the tram ride back to the car at night after a long, hot day. It is nice to sit back and let the breeze blow on you. Also we love the monorail heading into MK on the first day. Great way to get the magical feeling going! :mickey:

Old School Mouse Ears
06-28-2007, 06:14 AM
riding in the front of the monorail to epcot its almost like being the driver:D

biodtl
06-28-2007, 11:48 AM
Last visit, we had a a late ADR in WS and when we came out, the park was nearly empty. It was so much fun to make our way out with no one around.

LoriMistress
06-28-2007, 05:55 PM
Everything in general:

The music they play in the parks.

The park is spotless.

The smells in the park.

IDreamofEeyore
06-28-2007, 06:37 PM
I agree! What we love most is the whole Disney experience...the attention to detail that you just don't find anywhere else.

We love looking for Hidden Mickeys (and the 5-legged goat in the mural by the monorail in the Contemporary!).

We also love just wandering slowly and enjoying the experience while everyone else is rushing around!

Our favorite, often overlooked locations in each park are:
MK - Tom Sawyer Island
EPCOT - the Rose Garden in the UK
AK - the Discovery Island Trails
MGM - the street performers (okay, not a location, but still great fun...in fact we stop to enjoy the "street" entertainment at all of the parks...always great fun) :mickey:

10 years ago I actually sat on Main St in the MK and played a game of checkers with a CM! Not how you expect to spend your time, but great, relaxing fun!

DivaLuvsDisney
06-28-2007, 07:10 PM
The walkway from Tomorrowland to Toon Town. It is usually a bit empty, spotless, (of course), and I've met some really nice people strolling there. :thumbsup:

#1disneyfan
06-28-2007, 08:02 PM
The fountains in DTD...the ones by the bus entrance that shoot up water...or the light-up sparkly sidewalks in Futureworld.

I love this one too. I have a great pic of my, then 4yr old trying to pick them out of the concrete. It was a magical moment for us. I also love having an :bar: with my DD and watch the crowds go by.

Disney_or_bust
06-30-2007, 07:35 AM
We went for our honeymoon and bought those bride and groom ears. We had such a fun time talking to everyone that gave us advice or were back to celebrate their anniversary and originally honeymooned there.

Oh and one of the greatest perks they've added is delivering the things you've purchased to your room. Awesome idea!

ryca1dreams
06-30-2007, 09:38 AM
The music they play in the parks.

Oh man, how could I forget this. I love the background music.

jedi jen
06-30-2007, 02:36 PM
Everyone has mentioned such great things. I also like watching DD(5) and DS(9) trade pins with CMs. The CMs are so nice to them, and it is a good way to slow down for a moment.

MickeyAD
07-01-2007, 02:53 PM
I love the Electrical Water Pageant! No park admission required, and it's a very cute show that offers the perfect way to relax either on a dock or on one of the beaches and enjoy the night.

It's also fun to resort hop. Last time I was there, my friend and I took an afternoon break from the Studios and visited the Boardwalk. We fell asleep for a half hour on one of the outdoor lounge chairs in the shade.

Friend of Figment
07-01-2007, 03:27 PM
I love the window displays on Main Street in MK. It's fun to savor each one and see what details from the stories they have included. An added bonus - inhaling the piped in bakery smell!

snifflesmcg
07-01-2007, 04:12 PM
These are some of my favorites, some of you already mentioned most of them....

~Smelling the bakery smell on Main st
~the fiberoptic sidewalk in Epcot
~I love taking our time at the end of the night. While everyone is rushing out of the park, we are slowly strolling toward the exit, looking around at things, enjoying people watching and hitting some of the shops along the way
~we spend a half a day just enjoying the entertainment in the lands in Epcot.
~the landscaping

Disneyfun
07-01-2007, 06:09 PM
I love seeing the Cinderella Fountain behind the castle at night. The reflection of the light and moon create magical dancing lights on the backdrop. If you kneel down to the height of a young child (about 3 feet or so), the crown apears to be sitting on the statue of Cinderella's head!

Watching the street performers at the Boardwalk Resort is great, free fun.

Storytime with Bell to the Tomorrowland side of the castle at MK is also great fun for the kiddos!

psychotekkie
07-02-2007, 11:57 AM
Ditto on the TTA and any slow boat rides, including Jungle Cruise, Pirates, Small World, Mexico and The Land. I find the quiet swish of water and smooth movement relax the little ones.

And when Space Ship Earth is open, that one is great for a bit of snuggle time.

But most importantly, give your little one a proper nap at midday. It will make all the difference in the world. Without a nap, they will get overstimulated, agitated and unhappy, and no amount of overlooked attractions will make it better.