PDA

View Full Version : Special Things You Do For Your Trip?

RaRaRoundTheWorld
06-24-2007, 10:22 PM
Hi Everyone!

We're prepping to book our second family WDW trip (2 preschoolers & DH & I) in January. I was thinking of little things I could do to make this trip extra special :magic: before and during our trip. The first time we went everything was so new, I didn't do anything extra.

I was wondering - what do you all do? :grouphug:

These were my ideas for this trip:

- Create & Print Invitations for our ADRs & ask the mousekeepers to place them in some special spot each day.
- Collect Disney candy & give each child 1 pack per day.
- Bring maps of the parks & give the kids stickers to mark the rides/attractions they've visited.
- Bring a scrapbook for the kids to fill each night.

mizzoumouse
06-24-2007, 10:31 PM
We always do a countdown to our trip. Sometimes it is a countdown calendar, we have also done the Paper Chains and cut off one chain each day. When they cut off the last chain, it was time to go. They can really see how close the trip is this way!!!:mickey:

Rica
06-24-2007, 10:32 PM
We're going at Christmas this year and my 2 DS will get to unwrap a little Disney something each morning. I have already started buying the little gifts such as: Disney movies, mickey light up pens, Dinsey Pez Dispensers, Mickey light up lollipops, Disney pajamas. I hope this starts off the days with Disney Magic. :smickey:

Rica
06-24-2007, 10:38 PM
I forgot; we also do a countdown calendar. I got a large poster size 12 month calendar. My 2 DS and I decorated and colored Disney stuff around it, and I let the boys cross out the days with a crayon. This is a really good visual for the boys. It really helps my 8 year old DS because he is autistic. However, he still reminds me everyday we are going to see Mickey Mouse at Christmas. :mickey::mickey:

RaRaRoundTheWorld
06-24-2007, 10:41 PM
I would love to do Christmas at Disney but the rest of the extended family would never hear of it! It sounds so wonderful!

I wasn't even thinking of what to do before we go - I like the chain idea. Sometimes it's hard for my little ones to understand time and that would be a good way to show them, instead of just keep telling them.

Thanks!

TikiGoddess
06-25-2007, 06:45 AM
My kids are 4 and 2. I am planning some surprises for them while we are at WDW!

* I boughts some 'gold' coins (chocolate) and every morning I'm going to hide a few of them around the hotel room. The first morning I'll leave a note from Tinkerbell saying that she stole some of Capt. Hook's treasure and hid it in our room for us to keep safe!

* I went to the Disney Store and bought plushes of my girls favorite characters. We're going to Chef Mickey's on the 2nd morning of our trip. The girls will have written notes to Mickey and Minnie and will give them to the characters. After we come back from breakfast, the girls will find thank you notes from Mickey and their new friends tucked into their bed.

Have a great day!
TikiG

BashfulMom
06-25-2007, 11:12 AM
We always do a countdown to our trip. Sometimes it is a countdown calendar, we have also done the Paper Chains and cut off one chain each day. When they cut off the last chain, it was time to go. They can really see how close the trip is this way!!!:mickey:

I did this for our trip and my DS(4) and Nephew(7) are really enjoying it. It has even helped my husband to see just how close it is (17 days left).

NewmanFamily6
06-25-2007, 11:19 AM
I alaways get the children new Disney PJs for the trip, autograph books, and this year I bought them some shirts with their favorites on them. I usually pack these items so they never even see them until we get there. It is a fun surprise. This year it will be a fun surprise on the DCL:mickey:

robyn221
06-25-2007, 11:40 AM
The last time we went to WDW, my dd was 5 and my ds, who also has autism, was 6. We would watch the WDW vacation planning video and then the kids would take out the maps we'd saved from our previous trip and plan what they wanted to see and ride. They would both spend hours planning out itineraries.

Now you can order customized maps on the WDW website. They're mailed to you within 2-4 weeks (or was that 4-6 weeks?) and, according to the website, they come with stickers and and such that you can use to mark where you'll go, new favorites, etc. You can also print the maps from your computer.

Robyn:mickey:

brad192
06-25-2007, 11:43 AM
One thing I really like to do is print out a bunch of those CM appreciation cards, the ones that will print onto standard business card stock, and tape a piece of candy to the back. When a CM does something nice, or goes out of their way for me or somebody else I notice, I'll give them one of the cards. Just a little return magic for a job well done, and it always brightens the CM's day.:mickey:

vamaggie
06-25-2007, 12:08 PM
One thing I really like to do is print out a bunch of those CM appreciation cards, the ones that will print onto standard business card stock, and tape a piece of candy to the back. When a CM does something nice, or goes out of their way for me or somebody else I notice, I'll give them one of the cards. Just a little return magic for a job well done, and it always brightens the CM's day.:mickey:

Where can you find these CM appreciation cards? Sounds like a great idea to me!

brad192
06-25-2007, 12:23 PM
Vamaggie, per Intercot's TOS I can't list the website here, but I PM'd you with the address.

DSNYMOM4JJ
06-25-2007, 02:22 PM
Could I possibly ask for the info on the CM cards sent to me as well..this sounds like such an awesome gift for our children to do...help make give a smile to the people who help us smile the whole time we're at WDW! I think your really on to something...I love the whole pay it forward idealism.

Please please please???? TIA:secret: Kristine

RaRaRoundTheWorld
06-25-2007, 02:26 PM
Now you can order customized maps on the WDW website. They're mailed to you within 2-4 weeks (or was that 4-6 weeks?) and, according to the website, they come with stickers and and such that you can use to mark where you'll go, new favorites, etc. You can also print the maps from your computer.

Robyn:mickey:

Thanks so much for this tip - I had no idea you could do this. I was trying to print out the maps from online, but they're so small.

pixiebeliever
06-25-2007, 02:40 PM
Oh I too would love the info on CM cards. Our last I had a very nice CM help me at the first aid center in Epcot. She really tried to make me feel comfortable after seeing the 2nd degree burns I was walking around with. I could not thank her enough.

Thanks in advance..

offero
06-25-2007, 02:53 PM
Disney started the printed maps after our trip but i ordered them anyhow. The maps are awesome and come printed on a decent paper stock so they will last a while. they also come with a few stickers (20) to put on some of the rides you have gone on or like. you can always buy some more at staples so each kid can have their own color. they are defiantly worth it.

meldan98
06-25-2007, 04:55 PM
We are doing the chains and my daughter doesn't quite get it yet, but she knows that when she turns 4, we'll be at WDW.

One of the things we are going to do is make up Xmas cards/Happy Holiday cards for the cast members that we can print off the computer and hand them out to some of the cast members. I know most of the cast members are a long way from home and miss their families, especially around the holidays.

cvzdesign
06-26-2007, 10:37 AM
I went to the dollar store before we left and bought several tubes of the glow bracelets (15 per pack for only $1)
When it started getting dark, the four of us each put one on, and I started getting out the other ones and looking for little ones to pass them out to.
I'd pass one to my 8 year old daughter and tell her to run over to that child and ask the parents if they could have a glow bracelet. (no one said no of course) and she LOVED doing it.

There were over 40 kids throughout the week who we gave a special surprise to.
I also made 10 lanyards that we handed out too throughout the week.
It was lots of fun to make some magic!

avantgardeinker
06-26-2007, 10:48 AM
About once every quarter before we go we have a Disney Party. We get recipes from some of the Disney restaurants on Intercot or various other websites and make only Disney food and snacks. After dinner we'll either watch home videos from past trips or play Disney board games, such as Monopoly, Sorry, Life, etc... (They all have to be Disney Themed). Our first party is this Friday night. We're going with an Italian theme. We're having Fettucinne Alfredo from Alfredo's, Chicken Parmagianna from Mama Melrose and for dessert we're having Flourless Chocolate Hazelnut Cake. I don't remember where it's from. DH found it on the internet. Anyway... Then we're going to watch our videos from our last trip which was in 05. Can't wait!!! It's going to be so much fun!!

163 more days!!
:mickey:

dolphinmickey9170
06-26-2007, 10:54 AM
We purchase glow toys on ebay and hand them out to children who don't have them....we do this while waiting for fireworks or parades. A kind of "share the magic".

Minniemouse27
06-26-2007, 11:24 AM
We will be 150 days out next week and are making our paper chain this weekend! :mickey:

My kids are 6 and 1.5yo (will turn 2 while we are there) and we are doing a few things...

I've been taking advantage of the recent sales at the Disney Store and picked up towels, a bag for dd (beach bag to be used to carry stuff in the parks), spinny thingys, character cell phones, family set of t-shirts, t-shirts for the kids, minnie jacket for dd, mini plush of all the "main" characters (except Pluto...they didn't have him for some reason), etc.

I did pick up some Disney Pez but I'm pulling all the candy for them except one sleeve each. WDW will be enough stimulation for them, they don't need even MORE sugar!

I'm going to print out envelopes for mousekeeping and have dd decorate them w/ markers and stickers.

I have a stash of stuff in my closet all ready to be packed... and I have over 150 days to go yet!

Oh and in regards to Christmas as WDW... we are going in the beginning of December, NOT for the 25th. Other than the crowd craziness our family thing is to always wake up Christmas morning in our own house. Extended family isn't thrilled but have known since before we were married and they deal with it. They don't dictate how our family spends holidays.. we do!