PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Resort - Holiday Version

tinkwest
06-23-2007, 06:59 PM
Let’s address the Disneyland Resort during the holidays (typically the last seven weeks of the year and the first week of the new year).

:stock: Wreaths, ornaments, garlands, trees, lights, and other decorations are found throughout Disneyland, Disney’s California Adventure, Downtown Disney, and the three Resort hotels - Disneyland Hotel, Grand Californian Hotel, and Paradise Pier Hotel. Disneyland is the most decorated of all these areas. Carolers stroll throughout different parts of Disneyland (usually Main Street, New Orleans Square, & Frontierland), DTD, and the Disneyland Hotel. Special holiday treats are available throughout the entire Resort. And of course there is plenty of holiday merchandise available!!

:sleigh: “A Christmas Fantasy” parade, at Disneyland, features many of the classic Disney characters celebrating the season, along with Santa and his reindeer (will we see an INTERCOTee in the parade again this year?). Warning - after seeing this parade you may be humming the theme song the rest of the day!

:snowman: Evening fireworks at Disneyland are followed by “snow” in select locations in the park adding a special festive touch to the already fabulous show.

:santa:Two classic Disneyland rides get a holiday makeover! The Haunted Mansion continues it’s holiday celebration, which begins in October, when Jack Skellington and his Nightmare Before Christmas friends take over the mansion. (Fastpass is added during this time of the year). With special costumes, decorations, and music, the children of the world celebrate the holidays in a special version of it’s a small world. And don’t forget to visit this area at night. Thousands of lights on the outside of this attraction make it a fantastically beautiful part of the park.

:deer: Santa’s Reindeer Round-Up takes over the Big Thunder Ranch area behind Big Thunder Mountain. Santa, Mrs. Claus, and the reindeer themselves are waiting to see you. There is also crafts, entertainment, and cookie decorating to enjoy.

:tree: Two days in December - first or second weekend as a rule - are set aside for the Candlelight Procession at Disneyland. A full orchestra, chorus, and celebrity narrator are highlighted at this event. Usually a very crowded time to visit.

:santa2: Santa’s Beach Party Blast at DCA is a fun, interactive time for the kids. You may find Lilo & Stitch or some of their Disney/Pixar friends leading games & songs. And don’t forget to visit Santa while he kicks back in his beach attire.

:ornament: Disney’s Electrical Parade usually makes a return visit to DCA during the holidays. Don’t miss the “thousands of sparkling lights” of this evening performance.

This is all based on years past. Some things change, leave altogether, or are added over the years. But this gives an idea of what you can find at DLR during the holidays.

I’m sure I’ve missed/forgotten some of the special things you can experience when visiting during this time of the year. Please add your memories to this thread.

SierraNevada
06-24-2007, 07:19 PM
Great summary on the DLR during the holiday. Thanks for the great details.

Melanie
06-24-2007, 10:15 PM
Getting to experience the evening fireworks and 'A Christmas Fantasy' parade a few years back was awesome, although :crowd:. Biggest crowds I've ever encountered in a Disney park.

The two holiday ride makeovers are incredible. I love Small World Holiday more and more every time I ride it.

Thanks for the post, Linda! :tree:

gnatsmom
08-23-2007, 12:31 PM
Hi, newbie here - we're planning a trip from December 9 through 12th and I noticed on the official DL website, it says the fireworks and parades aren't held every night during the holiday. I know they don't put the schedule out until about a month before, but from historical experience, does anyone think we'll be likely to see them at least ONCE during that time? (it's Sunday thru Wednesday).

Thanks in advance!

NotaGeek
08-23-2007, 01:10 PM
Hi, newbie here - we're planning a trip from December 9 through 12th and I noticed on the official DL website, it says the fireworks and parades aren't held every night during the holiday. I know they don't put the schedule out until about a month before, but from historical experience, does anyone think we'll be likely to see them at least ONCE during that time? (it's Sunday thru Wednesday).

Thanks in advance!

:welcome: to INTERCOT!

During that week there will be fireworks Friday-Sunday only. I go that same week every year and there's never been fireworks except for the weekend. The park schedule for December should be out by October, so you will have some time to plan. If you have more questions be sure and open a new thread in Vacation Planning so we can help you out! :mickey:

ChipnDaleGal
09-03-2007, 07:49 AM
Linda, your post has me dreaming of a Disneyland Christmas trip someday, it must be beautiful. The Billies have a holiday show in the Golden Horseshoe, don't they?

WDWizard
09-03-2007, 09:26 AM
It's nice to hear that Disneyland still has so much great things during the holidays like the "Christmas Fantasy Parade" for free to regular park guests, something they took away here in Florida to make an extra-ticket event to get more money from us!:thedolls:

I heard that some very nice snow effects will be added to the castle during "Believe in Holiday Magic" this holiday season.

tinkwest
09-03-2007, 11:27 AM
Linda, your post has me dreaming of a Disneyland Christmas trip someday, it must be beautiful. The Billies have a holiday show in the Golden Horseshoe, don't they?

You're right!! I forgot about the Billys' special shows during that time of the year. Of course, great fun!

Carol
09-04-2007, 09:17 AM
The Haunted Mansion and Small World overlays are worth the price of the visit alone. :waycool:

The Billies have a holiday show in the Golden Horseshoe, don't they?Yes. We just missed it, Donna. Janie said it changes after Thanksgiving.

BrerGnat
09-05-2007, 11:48 PM
The IASW Holiday makeover is responsible for my 3 year old son's fascination with the song "Jingle Bells". It is ALSO responsible for my son's fascination for all things "Christmas".

Seriously, all the books we have and my explanations just did not really get my son into Christmas at ALL last year, but one ride on this and he was hooked! He's mildly autistic, so sometimes it takes multiple approaches to make an impression on him. IASW was it for "Christmas". :) He calls it "Small World Christmas".

Way to go Disney, for creating such a fun and enjoyable way to present "Christmas around the world" to such a young audience. :thumbsup:

Also, I loved the Santa's Reindeer Roundup last year! I don't know if I can recall ever having seen a live reindeer, and it was pretty neat to see that and show my boys.