PDA

View Full Version : What's your theme?

TuscanRaider
06-23-2007, 02:45 PM
I might not have seen a thread like this in awhile so this could be fun.

Do you have a pin theme? Do you just collect what you like?

It can range from Muppets :kermit::animal:
to chip and dale. :chip::dale:

I might not have just one theme. I collected Sorceror Mickey, Figment, Logos (the castle etc.), Pluto, attraction pins, and pins I just liked. Now I may narrow it down to Pirates, Star Wars, the Haunted Mansion, and/or attraction pins. I am not sure yet.

My theme matters when I want to buy pins at Disney (unless I am buying pins to trade). When I am trading, usually I might trade for pins that I like and/or are valuable. Last year, there was a booster pack available that was 4 pins and each was for each park. I liked the pack but I didn't buy it. I eventually found all 4 pins while trading. They aren't that valuable but I like them :blush:

So what is your theme if you have one?

:mjump::figment::hmghost:

kaerbear178
06-24-2007, 03:34 PM
I have a few random pins but I do have a lot of the Pirates pins. Those are the ones that I tend to search out.

PlutoToo
06-24-2007, 10:00 PM
:mickey: Can you tell from my name? I helped my DH to start collecting Pluto. We like the ones of Pluto by himself better than the elaborate ones. I'm having too much fun helping DH to have chosen a theme for myself.

tarjaybuff
06-24-2007, 11:10 PM
Well. . . I collect many different pins, but focus on Socerer Hat, special events, and year pins.:mickey:

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
06-24-2007, 11:22 PM
I do not collect pins but, my two boys do. :thumbsup:

Taylor is going to start this year. :cloud9:

The boys get one pin from each park, each day. The trick is that the pin has to reflect that park. In other words, they will not buy a Test Track pin at MGM. ;) Then, at the end of the trip the can pick one pin that is whatever they want. Last year Sean got a POTC pin and Riley went on a mission to find the NYY Mickey pin. Unfortunatley they were sold out everywhere in the World, we ordered it when we got home.

They love pin collecting.

A Foolish Mortal
06-25-2007, 10:51 AM
I tend to go for the attraction pins!

jkj1224
06-25-2007, 02:49 PM
Stitch! :stitch2:

and anything else I think is cute or different :blush:

Mickey'sGirl
06-25-2007, 02:58 PM
All of my pins are of Mickey Mouse....by himself, with nothing around him..... I have Jedi Mickey and Mickey as Peter Pan, and Mickey as Jack and Steamboat Willie Mickey and Raincoat Mickey and Pirate Mickey and Sorcerer Mickey and Old School Mickey and Golden Mickey... I have about 25 pins, and I love them all!! ... I am thinking about starting a Mickey and Minnie set.

TuscanRaider
06-25-2007, 03:14 PM
All of my pins are of Mickey Mouse....by himself, with nothing around him..... I have Jedi Mickey and Mickey as Peter Pan, and Mickey as Jack and Steamboat Willie Mickey and Raincoat Mickey and Pirate Mickey and Sorcerer Mickey and Old School Mickey and Golden Mickey... I have about 25 pins, and I love them all!! ... I am thinking about starting a Mickey and Minnie set.

That sounds like a collection I might wanna start :secret:

Tho I do enjoy Haunted Mansion pins a lot too. :thumbsup::mickey:

cjb121879
06-25-2007, 04:09 PM
We just got back from WDW last Thursday and it was the first time we did pin trading. I thought it would be fun for the kids- little did I know that everyone would get into it!

There were ten of us and I ordered a random lot of 50 from Ebay before we left. We decided beforehand that we would theme our lanyards around our favorite Disney movies. My mom chose "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?". My various cousins chose "Pirates of the Caribbean", "Beauty and the Beast", "Peter Pan", "Princesses", "The Lion King" etc. My sister chose "The Little Mermaid" (I was jealous as there were some pretty cool pins to be found in the park for that movie) and I chose "Alice in Wonderland" (my favorite Disney movie and a very good book). However, it is very hard to find unique pins for Alice and friends. For instance, my sister traded for a Ariel Father's Day pin, an Ariel topiary pin cast member pin, Ariel in her wedding dress and she bought a revolving Ariel pin which shows her as a mermaid on one side and as a girl on the other. I, on the other hand, saw the same solitary Alice pin for sale in each of the four parks and one Cheshire cat with a spinning tail. Ah well, it just made hunting for pins that much more rewarding!

PlutoToo
06-25-2007, 05:01 PM
I've seen a cool looking Cheshire cat sculpting a Pluto topiary pin on eBay. But it was above our price limit.:sadwave:

Suz36
06-26-2007, 01:09 PM
We tend to get a variety of pins, themed around our favorite movies - Beauty and the Beast, Peter Pan, Snow White. My DD likes to get cat character pins. DH just recently decided to focus on Donald Duck pins. On our Dec. trip my focus is on Pirates for me and DS, Princesses and Fairies for DD, Donald for DH, and also Playhouse Disney for DS - hoping to find Handy Manny and Johnny and the Sprites. Of course, it will be Christmas season, so there will probably be a bunch of those purchased as well! What an addictive habit!!

vamaggie
06-26-2007, 01:35 PM
DS (who got me and DD hooked on this crazy hobby!) collects sports themed pins :fball::bball:
and vehicle themed pins, and anything else that he thinks looks "cool".

DD is just starting but has a thing for Chip&Dale :chipdale:and Pooh:pooh:
I try to collect special event pins (Mother's day when we were there, the anniv of the WL--which also happens to be my wedding anniv!, Food & Wine etc) and Steamboat Willie pins (hard to find but close to my heart!)

Some we got on previous trips have become "traders" as the kids have grown and tastes changed.

DREAMADREAM93
06-26-2007, 01:40 PM
I have 4 main groups:
1.Villains
2.Walt Disney Pins
3.Pirates
4.Sports [predominatly basketball]

The pin trading is so cute !!
And of course i have pleanty of random ones!

JOrdan :]

Khfan13
06-26-2007, 07:11 PM
I collect Alice in Wonderland pins, but specificly the March Hare, as he is my favorite Disney character. I also collect attraction pins and characters dressed up as other characters...:thumbsup:

TikiGoddess
06-26-2007, 07:26 PM
My main collection: Magic Kingdom park pins. My pins are displayed on a framed poster sized map of the MK. I have just about every current attraction (the CoP pin was the hardest to find!). I am also doing Epcot and AK maps but those only have 5-6 pins on them as of now.

I also have a set of Peter Pan pins, some Mickey pins, and some Pooh Heffalump pins.

TikiG

goofhook
06-27-2007, 05:17 PM
I mainly collect pirate pins and stitch pins. It just seems a lot more stitch and pirate pins have come out lately its hard to resist.

jedi jen
07-01-2007, 02:10 PM
I bought some pins of e-bay for DKs to trade last year at WDW. It was soo much fun.

DS(9) - Mostly Stitch, hidden mickey CM only pins, years, attractions, parks, Chip and Dale, Mickey Sorcerer

DS(5) - princesses, princesses, princesses, Tinkerbell, with a Bambi, Pooh and Figment thrown in - did I mention :princess::princess::princess:)

I also got a flag pin for them from every country we visited in Epcot.

This year we are doing it again. I also got enough for me to trade. :D I love Pixar so will be looking for Buzz, Woody, etc. I also would like pirates and Nightmare before Christmas. Of course, I will have to look for some Mickeys, attractions, and a Monorail pin.

It will be neat to see what themes the DKs and I pick this year. DS says it won't be Stitch this year. He wants to try something different. We'll see what happens when he sees a real cool Stictch pin he does not have already. :yes: or :nope:

tinksmom02
07-01-2007, 10:13 PM
DD4 and I have a collective collection going--they're "hers," but not really LOL I tried to convince her to go with all Tink/PeterPan themed pins last trip--that lasted for about 10 minutes! ;) It's hard to say no, they're all so cute! Her trades were for all different characters, whoever she liked at that moment.

This time around I'm going to try to convince her to stick to one (or two!) characters/themes. She's REALLY into POTC right now, so it shouldn't be too hard to steer her in that direction.

I, personally, would like a pin from each resort we stay at, but that's taking too long, so I think I'll try to get one of each resort we visit. Much easier, and easier on the wallet (as opposed to actually staying there LOL)

FYI- eBay is a dangerous site for pin lovers! :blush:

TinkRocks
07-17-2007, 01:32 PM
I don't really have one specific theme.

I am trying to stick to characters dressed as other characters, but also pick out pins that are unique to a particular trip (eg Christmas, Halloween, Labor Day, etc.).

Also, I look at what pins the Cast Members are wearing and try and trade for any Cast pins that I like.

Of course, I'm open to any pin that grabs my attention...

Momof2boys
08-03-2007, 10:46 AM
My collection at home consists of Tinkerbell pins and then the special event pins that we've attended. I also have 1 pin for each park.

The boys also like the "cool" pins. They have them framed in their rooms. We always buy a mixed lot to trade on our trip for ones to add to our collections.

like2workout
08-08-2007, 04:30 PM
a theme ... hmmm. that would be nice. it would probably help limit my pin trading! but... i can't seem to do it. i just go for whatever i like. i do like trying to trade for some entire sets of castmember pins, but other than that, i just like the fun of trading for whatever catches my eye at the time.

gardenia
08-08-2007, 09:01 PM
Like tinksmom02, I collect resort pins. It has to be resorts that we stay at to be meaningful. It made me crazy last summer when Beach Club did not have a resort pin, and every CM I asked gave me a blank look! But last week we were at Beach Club again, and they finally had a resort pin available.

My youngest son collects mostly "baby" character pins - they are so cute.

pink
10-13-2007, 10:37 AM
Good thread! I usually collect whatever catches my attention :thumbsup:

However, my favorite pin tradition I started from my last two trips are collecting mickey mouse hat pins.

One time I got the gold, rhinestone one and then last time I got the old fashioned white and black one with partial rhinestones. They're my favorite. :mickey:

Caroleh
10-14-2007, 07:22 PM
I don't really have a theme. I only have 3 pins..GF resort pin, a gold MM hat pin and on with Mickey and Walt. When I go in Dec., I'll probably get another resort pin, one from MVMCP and I'm not sure what else.

MickeyandTink
10-15-2007, 06:57 PM
DD6 collects princess pins, especially Ariel. DW is big into Tinkerbell. I tend to favor pins that commemorate the trip, with an emphasis on Mickey. This last trip, I was fortunate to trade for the YOMD set from two separate CM's. (If you can't win 'em, trade for 'em).

DisFan01
10-17-2007, 08:17 PM
I collect the old ticket pins. (A-Ticket, B, C, D, E). They are when Disney charged for tickets to a group of rides. Very interesting (to me...) :blush:

I also collect a lot of completely random pins! :mickey:

WED1901
10-25-2007, 02:10 PM
Nice Thread...I started to collect from all the resorts I have stayed at.

dundeehunter
11-06-2007, 01:36 PM
My family got Hooked into pin trading back in 2006. We bought our DD's a few pins to start out and that created 2 monsters! Now each DD's has her own lanyard and each has a theme. DD1 has a Pocohantas collection. Let me just say that in Jan. 2006, we searched EVERYWHERE for any pocohantas pin to purchase and only found 1. We found a very rude collector in DTD that refused to trade with her as she had nothing the trader wanted.:( Since that trip, CM's are the only ones that my daughters will trade with and DD1 has been able to find 6 nice pins. We will continue to hunt Pochontas and her friends down.

DD2 liked baby characters last trip, but is going to trade those all away for something new this trip. She does treasure her Cats from Aristocats and some Belle pins.

I also just got a lot of 20 off of ebay and was surprised to see how many hidden mickeys I received and even 2 CM pins. I will be keeping the Cast pins for myself. I am also planning on buying the MVMCP pin on 12/9 this year.

My family has been hook, line and sinkered into buying, trading and hunting for pins. It's a wonderful way to start conversations with CM's.:mickey:

Volksjager
11-09-2007, 08:38 AM
This year I am going away from cast lanyard and hidden mickey pins to monorails, muppets, pins with Walt himself and perhaps pie-eyed mickey

hopefully this will give us enough variety and opportunity to find some interesting stuff.

Of course my boy will continue to collect Goofy pins

BelleandtheBeast
11-16-2007, 04:55 PM
I have 3

The original characters, mickey, minnie, pluto, etc.

The princesses

The villians

battle beast
11-22-2007, 07:58 PM
Well, I buy artist skeches of :chip:, :dale: and :stitch:. Then, I get it framed with their autograph and the picture of me with them.

Thus, I use the Pins in the framed work.

I tend to look for really cool pins of :chip: and :dale: together, but I do from time to time buy ones of them separate.

I like :stitch: pins, but only ones of him by himself doing something. With Golden ears, scrathing, etc.

I wish I could show you all my framed work, but I don't think I can post links...

but I hope you get the idea.

I find pin trading EXTREMELY expensive; most pins ar not worth the price they are, how ever I do like to get some of them to frame with photos and E Tickets.

Crystal Palace
12-20-2007, 04:38 PM
I pretty much buy what I like. I look for pins that are unusual looking, or retro looking. I love buying ride pins and park pins the most.

I also think the pins with the rhinestones are cute.

Stich8818
12-21-2007, 12:40 PM
For me it's just whatever catches my eye. I had not started pin collecting until the last trip in Oct. When I went down I had like one..it was a Peter Pan one my wife got me from the Disney Store. Well that changed when I got down there ended up buying a OSU Mickey, a Partners ,a Barbossa and Davey Jones, Stich (go figure), my daughter did one of those Mickey pin machines..she got me a Nemo and Squirt pin. Then the last one I bought was a Mickey in a old time directors outfit for MGM. The last day we were there my daughter was dressed up in her Belle costume..A Dream Team member came running up to her from out of nowere..saying that she all these autographs excpet Belle's and that if she could have one...Well my daughter signed in her book...the DT member gave her 2 TInk pins(DD 2nd favorite character)...I got the second the one to give..It was something that I will always trasure. I know that sounds odd but my daughter had no hesitation in giving me the other one.

DDuck66
01-04-2008, 10:33 AM
I have two main themes that I try and stick to. The first and foremost is anything with DD on it. The second theme is pins that are dated or for special events...MNSSHP 2007, MVMCP 2007, and so forth.

kakn7294
01-06-2008, 12:27 AM
Me - Ariel, special events, and anything that catches my eye that represents a Disney memory

DD 12 - Tinkerbell, animal characters, and Mickey and friends POTC

DD 8 - Jasmine, animal characters, and Mickey and friends POTC

DH - Haunted Mansion and some Goofy

luvdiznee
01-22-2008, 12:42 PM
Restaurants. I need restaurant pins! :cool:

DakotaDisney
01-22-2008, 06:02 PM
I like to get a pin for WDW that has the year on it that I am visiting the park.

My favorite attractions & Shows.
The resort I am staying at.

And any special pins with favorite characters or for the time of year/season when I am there.

I like my pins to carry special meaning or memories to remember my trips or to tell others about my trips.

BelleFan2
01-23-2008, 02:31 PM
My favorite pins to collect are Belle (preferably in her blue dress) and Cast Member pins. I started out collecting everything and had to pick a theme so as not to spend my entire paycheck on pins!

skadar2
01-23-2008, 04:17 PM
I go for any physical things in WDW that are dear to me. This encompasses favorite attractions, water parks, resorts, vehicles, locations, and possibly events.

jpH/keD
01-25-2008, 03:30 PM
Me- Mine have to have the year on it for that trip! And Disney Visa card holder pins!

DH-Attraction pins or ride pins that he went on. Resorts we visit, for dinners and stays. He likes dates on them too.

DD6-It has to have PINK on it somewhere!! Her POTC pin is PINK!:cloud9:

DS5- to be determined. he wasnt interested in Nov. 07. Mostly we got him Cars, or POTC!

Katarch
02-01-2008, 12:37 PM
I collect Alice in Wonderland, resorts I've stayed in and special events.:mickey:

Aurora's Spindle
02-27-2008, 07:28 PM
I never had much of a theme, to be honest. I collected pins that caught my eye or pins of my favorite characters. Of course, for me, that meant a lot of princesses, especially -- can you guess? -- Aurora. However, I do have some Mickey and Minnie ones (my favorite Minnie is a Nurse Minnie pin); Bambi; Dumbo; and Lady & the Tramp. The others in my collection are more of a commemorative type, such as a Tinkerbell WDW 35th Anniversary; a special Walt Disney pin that opens up like a locket; pins from 2000 celebrating each of the four parks; the Mary Poppins 40th Anniversary pin; and the 2004 Summer Olympics booster pack.

LauraleeH
02-28-2008, 09:58 PM
I used to collect all of them but when I realized that I had spent like $1,000 and there are thousands of pins, I stuck with a few themes and sold the rest. I did have a lot of Tinkerbell and that was my main theme but now my main is Halloween. I love them. I did keep some of my Tink pins (One of them was the first pin I ever bought, before I found out about trading, so of course I kept it!).

WDW24
03-09-2008, 04:51 PM
My themes are pirates and mickey! :mickey:

figgie
03-09-2008, 09:09 PM
Chip and Dale for me!:chipdale:

sorarail
03-13-2008, 11:40 AM
Piglet! New ones are getting harder to find.:piglet:

#1CinderellaFan
03-24-2008, 09:05 PM
I collect Cinderella pins. I have a large case for all of them. It has become so heavy I'm afraid to hang it back up. Then I like Aristocats, Lady & the tramp and then what ever catches my eye. My problem is I become attached & don't want to trade them. I am slowly trying to get all the Jiminy Cricket Earth Day pins. The 2000 pin was what started this insanity. I have a question, I hear so many people talk about castmember connections to get pins for them. I would love to hook up just for new Cinderella pins.

jwallace378
03-25-2008, 10:34 AM
We just started, but I collect pins from the resorts we stay at and attractions we ride

KineGirl
03-28-2008, 03:15 AM
I have a few themes but I mostly wear a Maleficent lanyard. Its funny.. it kind of depends on my mood which one I wear LOL And I never mix! We also collect the lanyards themselves as well as those lanyard tags/badge things you can hook onto the bottom

I like to wear
MALEFICENT:malef:, Villians:ccat:, Tigger:tigger:, Tinkerbell:tink:

I collect
the above mentioned, Anniversary/Ltd Editions of the parks and favorite rides, Cast Lanyard Pins, Cinderella, Pirates, Stitch, Mickey, Winnie the Pooh, Alice in Wonderland and pretty much anything else that catches my eye! <--- this makes my husband nervous whenever I start looking at pins LOL :eek:

Im just getting ready to get my second pin bag (I think its going to be the Pirates one) when we go in July! Yayyy

Mickey91
04-16-2008, 11:43 PM
We have lots of themes.:D
We see a pin we love, buy or trade for it, find out it is in a set, then try to find the rest of them. While finding the rest, we see a pin. We buy or trade for it and find out it is part of a set, then try to find the rest of them. While finding the rest of them, we see a pin...

We also collect any cute Characters that stand out, Special Event pins, Resort pins from the ones where we have stayed, train and monorail pins.:mickey:

mouselover93
04-17-2008, 04:59 PM
i dont have a theme but am 1 of those people that collect any pin they like. althoguh i really like any rides or characters

Brainiak5
04-20-2008, 01:28 PM
great question!

i collect a pin for the resort we stay in and sports pins - go sox!

my dd6 has princesses and since she started going on the "big rides" she has fast track - this year she wants a big thunder mountain

my ds3 likes the pirates- anything with a skull and cross bones-plus stitch

my wife doesnt collect- she just keeps a weather eye out for choices :mickey:

disneydad153
04-20-2008, 07:10 PM
I get a pin for each resort that we stay in and for a special even that we attend (MNSSHP, etc). I Collect for memories, not for trading though.:mickey:

kelly.garrett
05-06-2008, 08:44 AM
My main theme is Mary Poppins, but I'm a sucker for Tinkerbell pins too.

Young@Heart
05-07-2008, 09:15 AM
In general, it's princesses. I have the Cameo broach collection from a few years back and that kind of started my theme. Before these, however, it was Alice in Wonderland.

Mousemates
05-11-2008, 11:30 PM
I do resort pins (the ones we stay at) and year pins for the years we visit the parks. DD does Pirates Pins and DS does Malevocent.

NYCGirl2582
05-27-2008, 10:53 AM
I'm collecting all the pins that have to do with Tinkerbell, Minnie Mouse, and all the Disney princesses

Kisobel
06-17-2008, 01:56 AM
my main choice is Villians- there arent enough villian pins(or even villian merchendice). i also have some attraction pins.

kate

Sarahbug
06-18-2008, 05:59 AM
Stitch or piglet

SpaceMtn101
06-18-2008, 12:36 PM
lately i have been collecting the hidden mickey villan collections ... and eeyores

dolphinmickey9170
06-19-2008, 11:48 AM
We are a bit random, however I really like the Hidden Mickey and YOAMD pins. DH collects numbered/dated pins, stitch, and firefighter pins.

I must admit though, I have a REDSOX pin that doesn't fit in the HM selection.:mickey:

brownie
07-09-2008, 08:04 AM
I get pins for the parks I've gone to, the resorts I've stayed at, and the years I've visited if I can. I'll also pick up pins for favorite attractions and any pins that really catch my eye. I also have a pin for all the Disney animated films (traditional and CGI, including Pixar) that I've seen in the theatre. The only one I'm missing is Dinosaur, since I've never been able to find one for it.

Young@Heart
07-13-2008, 02:31 AM
I currently have only one lanyard, and my pins are all centered around Princesses, specifically the ivory cameo series that came out several years ago.

This year, I think I'm going to get a second lanyard and make it entirely Alice in Wonderland! :mickey:

Crow
07-13-2008, 02:42 AM
lately mainly Piece of History.
Passholder
previously some diff ones. like the resorts i stayed at

VolMickey
07-13-2008, 09:09 AM
The pins we have so far are (A) rides we've ridden, (B) characters we met, or (C) shows we've seen. Basically, we treat them as souvenirs vs. trading pins.

tinkerbellybutton
07-17-2008, 12:17 PM
Bruce's theme is law enforcement pins, you'd be surprised at how many there are. My theme is random, I like it, I buy it. DS Like stitch, Goofy and Donald but his favorite pins are cast member ones, he feels so great when he is able to trade for one.:thumbsup: