PDA

View Full Version : Kona Cafe

JoDisney
06-23-2007, 09:41 AM
We had a strange experience at our first Kona Cafe trip. The food was wonderful. However, the our server was strange. I would say she was fake, not very genuine. I showed my Disney Dining Experience card when we came in and when she brought the bill she looked annoyed that I had the card. Then when she brought the bill back, there was a gratuity on it for the two of us for about $10. We paid the bill with the exact amount and then she came back and said we owed her money - 6 cents. I said I gave her the 6 cents and she said she did not have it and looked annoyed again. I gave her the 6 cents and she just looked at me. I said to my friend, "do you think she wants a tip added on to this amount?" She replied that she sure was acting that way. We questioned the CMs at the desk and asked them were we suppose to give the server another tip since the gratuity was already on the bill. They said the gratuity should not have been on our bill. They said they would look at it, but we wanted to leave because the server, as we stated, was annoyed already. We went to a nearby shop and here comes the server apologizing for putting the gratuity on the check. She said she could redo it. At this point, we said never mind. However, we would have never given her a $10 tip. We both had sandwiches and that was it. I do not think we will go back. It was a very uncomfortable experience.

Tinkermom
06-23-2007, 11:32 AM
That stinks! I am so sorry you had such a bad experience. We have been to Kona Cafe at least 4 times and I have a ressie for our trip next month. We have always had amazing food and wonderful service.

I know how one bad experience can ruin a place for you. Ours was at 1900 Park Fare. The food was just awful! We won't be going back there any time soon.

JoDisney
06-23-2007, 04:38 PM
I know, it was like you couldn't trust her and she was being phony. It gave us the creeps. The food was delicious. It was totally her that made us want to get out of there.

SBETigg
06-23-2007, 05:02 PM
That is so weird! Kind of shady, no? It seems off. I'm sorry you had a strange experience.

Natazu
06-23-2007, 06:05 PM
You've got to really watch with DDE. Lots of servers seem to think they get to add an 18% tip (then take off the 20% discount). I haven't been able to figure out why they think that. It doesn't happen very often but it's enough to warrant checking the bill.

murphy1
06-23-2007, 07:23 PM
We had a server who was kind of strange there, too! The food was great, but I was kind of miffed that he asked me four times if we wanted an appetizer and our bill was a little off, but I let it go.

wilshade
06-23-2007, 08:12 PM
I think that no matter how good Disney CMs are . . and they are excellent . . there will always be a few who do not "get it". When they happen to you, it can sour you on whatever place they were working at.

Kona Cafe was excellent when I went there. The hostess and server both made our dining experience a happy one.

Bethanymouse
06-23-2007, 09:30 PM
I am so sorry that you had such a poor experience there. We ate there last trip and enjoyed our meal and our service. Perhaps you should give it another go and hopefully you will get a better server this time. That can make all the difference!