PDA

View Full Version : The Mac Family: Day 6: The Magic is Lost—Going to AK

dpamac
06-22-2007, 08:26 PM
We had settled into a pretty good routine. Mom and dad get up; dad goes off to get coffee, comes back gets ready while the kids get up. We were packing up for the day when Gert noticed that her fanny pack was missing.

“What’s in it,” I ask.

“Just her sunglasses,” Mom replies. “We’ve had that Pooh fanny pack since Matilda was three. I’m not too worried.”

Suddenly Gert melted.

“What’s wrong,” I ask.

“My magic! My magic was in there! Now it’s gone,” she started to cry.

“It’s okay, honey,” I said. “We still have some in my pack from the front of the Magic Kingdom. Remember you picked it up from the ground in the morning?”

“That’s not REAL magic,” she sobbed. “My magic was from my Fairy Godmother. IT was special. It was real magic! My magic is gone.” She sat, quietly crying, on the bed.

If she had sobbed, I think I would have been okay. But the quiet crying was worse. This was a little girl who was resigned to never seeing her magic again. It wasn’t disappointment or sadness she was dealing with. It was the sudden realization that she could not solve this problem. It was just “one of those things.” And she knew it. That magic was inexorably tied to a moment and the moment, like the magic, was gone. We couldn’t get it back.

My heart sank. She was crushed about this silly confetti in the shape of a Mickey head. I immediately went into crisis mode. Where could I find it? Who would have some? Do they sell it? We had three full days left in Disney World. Before we left, I vowed, I would have Gert’s magic returned.

A little deflated we hit the parks. Gert, ever the Dr. Doolittle, had a herd of ducks following her. Can ducks walk in herds? Well, they do now.

In all honesty, it was a somewhat unremarkable day. We rode Triceratops Spin, wandered through Dinoland, played in the Boneyard and ate churros in the morning. The most interesting thing that happened was when I was in line for the Churros, and older gentleman was trying to wade his way through the Dining Plan and snacks. At one point I was concerned that we’d have to get out a rubric, some software and a consultant to work out what he wanted to do. Finally, all was figured out and he started ordering everything, finishing up:

“Gimme one of them Chee-Toes and some of them Dor-eeee-Toes.” He said each word deliberately, like the cast member was not sure what was going on. She figured it out.

We headed over to Camp Minnie Mickey to meet the big guy while we bided our time for our Everest Fast Passes. Somewhere in there we shopped and picked up a monkey. Because, haven’t you always wanted a monkey. As we strolled we stopped and let my goofy daughters communicate with the animals.

While Mom rode Everest, we watched a story about why pigs are dirty. For the rest of the vacation we all yelled out “Mighty Mighty Pig!”

Mom came back from Everest with a grin on her face like she had just stolen candy. She was laughing like a maniac. Now it was my turn. I tried to convince Matilda to give up her dislike for roller coasters and ride with me, but she declined choosing, instead, to be a Pirate Princess and just look good. In fact, that was all she really wanted to do all day. Just look good. Not ride, not really do much of anything but walk, find a place about ten steps ahead to stop, turn and strike a pose. As a male, I’m not sure I understand this but I learned to accept it and not tease. Oh, as a dad I had an intense urge to tease, but I was smart and didn’t.

I rode Everest with an 8 year old girl who was a thrill junkie. She had a blast. As did I. This is now on my list of must do rides. Unfortunately, I looked for the Dream Squad when I got off the ride but, unlike Ian, no such luck. Instead, I had to ride the high of the fun I had. But, let it be known that I cursed Ian for the rest of the day. He’ll pay for his luck in October at the Anniversary meet. Oh yes, he will.

We grabbed some lunch and then headed off to Conservation Station or Earth Watch presented by Waste Management powered by GE or whatever it’s called these days. After looking at everything and playing around with some animal cameras inside (Daddy focused his on a piece of grass!).

Out in Affection Section Dr. Gertlittle was in her environment. She loves animals and wants them to love her. So these little love hounds wandering around, begging for attention were perfect for her. Matilda, meanwhile, focused in on the cow.

The cow was mooing like crazy. Loud, low, mournful. I suspected it was because she had seen a trainer and was trying, in vain, to convince the trainer to feed her. Matilda was convinced that the cow was sad and lonely. She stood there and stroked the cow, talking to it quietly. I was preparing to explain to her why we could not have a cow, nor could we get it home. She did keep telling me that it was an Irish cow. “An IRISH cow. Mr. O’Brien. An IRISH cow. A wee little cow. We could name him Guinness.”

Mom, the intrepid knitter was looking at the llama the same way a meat man would have looked at the cow as a walking steak. She was thinking about all the wool and yarn she could make. There’s a sweater. There’s a pair of socks! And, oooh, a shrug!

She knitted the entire time. You wouldn’t think a pretty, young woman would not only be obsessed with knitting, but standing in the middle of Florida in the summer, surrounded by theme park rides, going on and on about how she was working on an increase in this lace pattern that she found, rewrote and adapted. “It was originally a sweater, but I’ve turned it into an entire dress with my personal genetic code hidden in the pattern using intarsia. Giggle.”

Anyway, after Matilda didn’t save the cow and mom didn’t shave the llama we decided to just head back to the hotel. It was hot, threatening clouds were rolling in and we were just plain tired. So we headed back to the hotel.

Waiting for the bus, Gert started attacking my legs to see if she could push them up. I guess another family was doing this. Daddy let her win for a while until she said, “Come on Dad! Your legs are weak!”

Now, I’ve mentioned the cycling right? I’m a cyclist. I ride between 400 and 800 miles a month. Certainly I’m not professional racer, but I ride a lot and I’ve worked hard for these leg muscles. Plus, this is a Gert thing. Whenever she rides with me she actually taunts me, tells me how fast she can ride, how slow I am and how I’ll never be able to ride a bike as fast as she can.

She really knows how to get a cyclist’s goat.

“Oh really,” I ask. “Try now.” I actually resisted her and she started to struggle and strain to get me to bend my knee. Then the bus came.

“Oh well,” she said, “the bus is here. I win, old man.”

As god as my witness she called me “old man.” Sigh.

It poured. It poured all night. Pepper Market was crowded. Everything was crowded. We fought our way through the crowds and were able to sit and eat. We splashed in puddles and went back to the room to play with the stuff we had bought.

“Pretty good day,” I said. “Relaxing and fun.”

“Yeah,” said Mom.

“Uh huh,” said Matilda.

“Too bad I lost my magic,” said Gert.

Darn it. I clearly had work to do.

Tomorrow: Phone calls, begging, cajoling cast members, an aborted Typhoon Lagoon trip, the Boutique and Boardwalk. Oh my!

Lizzie
06-22-2007, 09:47 PM
My neice was two when we went last. She got a monkey named him Eee Eee, and he goes everywhere with her. When I go next time I am picking up a spare monkey for her.

Bethis26fan
06-22-2007, 10:06 PM
Aww bless her heart, That about made me cry thinking how heart broken she was.

January-2007
06-22-2007, 11:02 PM
Oh my gosh your writing is like a good novel I can't put down but it's only a trip report so it's not long enough!! Thank you so much for sharing your vacation with us, I was laughing so hard about your wife's genetic code on the knitted dress she was working on. That's too much. Your poor daughter, I can't wait to read how you can get the magic back for her, I hope she gets it back! Can't wait for the next installment!!

Christine
06-22-2007, 11:28 PM
Gary, I hope you get that baby's magic back soon!

I got tickled thinking of your wife drooling over a llama! :D

My DH has to ride E:E alone too (DD and I are :chicken:), and he loves when he rides with someone fun (like your 8 year old thrill junkie!) That is one of his favorite rides as well. Glad you guys liked it!

And my DD too, like Matilda, has the strut and pose thing going on...I think it has to do with Hannah Montana??? I think everything my daughter does right now has to do with Hannah Montana!

Melanie
06-23-2007, 12:09 AM
Poor, poor Gert. :( Just heartbreaking!

At one point I was concerned that we’d have to get out a rubric, some software and a consultant to work out what he wanted to do.

:funny:

Gary, I do enjoy your humor.

Thanks for sharing your AK day. I enjoyed reading about it even if it was unremarkable. :)

Hammer
06-23-2007, 01:03 AM
Gary, I am loving your reports! You cover the gamut of emotions!

Somewhere in there we shopped and picked up a monkey. Because, haven’t you always wanted a monkey.

Of course, Gary, and if I had a million dollars I'd be rich ;) !

faline
06-23-2007, 09:27 AM
I'm feeling so badly for Gert! I can't imagine how much worse it feels for mom and dad when their baby has lost her "magic"! I'm sure hoping you help Gert find it again!

dpamac
06-23-2007, 09:28 AM
My neice was two when we went last. She got a monkey named him Eee Eee, and he goes everywhere with her. When I go next time I am picking up a spare monkey for her.

Hey, Jeff Tweedy of Wilco (who is currently on the Sundance Channel singing and I'm enjoying) wrote a song with his son's preschool class called "Monkey Mess" that goes:

"Couple of monkeys
Walking down the street
Serena and E.E.

"One was blue and one was pink
They like to drink water from the sink
And eat bananas at the zoo (with, what, who?)

"Their brothers and sisters
And all their friends
In a red wheelbarrow

"Coming round the bend
Going to see
The busy bees

"They made a monkey mess
They made a monkey mess
They made a monkey mess

"And it went like this . . ."

At that point you start making monkey noises.

It spelled differently, but now Eee Eee has a song. :)

Thank you so much for sharing your vacation with us, I was laughing so hard about your wife's genetic code on the knitted dress she was working on. That's too much. Your poor daughter, I can't wait to read how you can get the magic back for her, I hope she gets it back! Can't wait for the next installment!!

I'm glad you enjoy my writing. Though I wasn't really joking about the genetic code. She's done it before. Not her own, but she has used a DNA double helix in one of her designs (http://www.flickr.com/photos/squeakyweasels/140592994/in/photostream/) as you can see on this sweater modeled by her dress maker's dummy we named "Bessie."

And my DD too, like Matilda, has the strut and pose thing going on...I think it has to do with Hannah Montana??? I think everything my daughter does right now has to do with Hannah Montana!

Hmmm. They're watching Hannah Montana as we speak. And, actually, one of them is wearing a green-haired wig for some reason. You may be on to something.

Gary, I do enjoy your humor. :)

It's the kids' sitcom. I just live in it. Honestly, I just wish I made this stuff up. I live in a very strange family. Everyone who reads my stuff about Gert always think I'm making it up until they meet her. She really is a goof.

I'm glad someone got that reference. :)

Beach Club Babe
06-23-2007, 11:07 AM
Poor Gert!:(

However, it sounds like a pretty darn good "unremarkable" day!

wilshade
06-23-2007, 06:39 PM
Well, my Mickey Mouse theory was shot all to he . . er . . heck.

Anyway, great read as usual. Funny, though . . the AK is always an "okay" day for me too. Do it, like it, but . . . it's just not Epcot or the MK.

Emily
06-23-2007, 09:10 PM

Ah, Christine beat me to it. ;) I love that song!

Another great report, Gary. I am so heartbroken about poor Gert's magic. :(

Being an animal lover, though, I have to say I love the Dr. Doolittle behavior. :D

Carol
06-24-2007, 07:24 AM
Poor little Gert. :(

Glad to hear you liked Everest. Isn't the theming amazing??

Love your wit, Gary. Onto the next installment .....

Ian
06-24-2007, 08:58 AM
But, let it be known that I cursed Ian for the rest of the day. He’ll pay for his luck in October at the Anniversary meet. Oh yes, he will.Hmmmmmmmmmmm ....

pdrlkr
06-24-2007, 09:43 AM
Thanks for the report! :smickey:

HndrdPrcnt
06-24-2007, 11:50 AM
Another fun day. I can't wait to read if Dad can get his little girl's "Magic" back.

Dsnygirl
06-25-2007, 01:20 AM
:mickey: Gary, this has to have been one of my favorite reports, minus the part about Gert losing her magic. I'd be just like you - on a quest. :( but the rest of it - how fun. Your Matilda sounds an awful lot like my DD8 Julia... all about the animals, esp. the ones that need love or help or... anything. Mine would have been looking for a way to bring the cow home, too. Glad you guys had a good day!! :)

Jeff
06-25-2007, 09:10 AM
I hope little Gert finds her magic!:(

offwego
06-25-2007, 11:20 AM
How sad poor Gert.

However the rest of the day sure seemed to be up her ally so maybe AK was the best park for the day.

And kudo's to your wife on the knitting. I can't to save my life but find it very interesting.

DizNee143
06-26-2007, 12:47 PM
seemed like a good day...even though the little one lost her magic...im wondering how that will turn out!!...nice way of ending the day just relaxing in the room!! :mickey:

sleepingbooty
06-26-2007, 09:19 PM
Now wait, if you (and I) can have a Disney obsession, your wife can have her knitting obsession!:D

#1disneyfan
06-26-2007, 10:23 PM
Great report once again!

ChipnDaleGal
06-29-2007, 09:03 PM
I didn't want to rad the part where she discovered her Magic was missing. I could just picture her sitting there doing the quiet cry. But I am glad that she was able to get past it and get out there and whip on her "old man" dad later in the day. She sounds like quite a character. Loved the entire knitting section of your report. I have read hundreds of reports in here and I am certain that yours are the first that ever included knitting references. :thumbsup:

dolphinmickey9170
07-01-2007, 01:47 AM
My DH is gonna kill me, it's 140 in the morning, he has to be to work in a few hours, and I can't stop laughing, then crying, then laughing again. You and your family sound like a great big barrel of laughs ;)(and monkeys). Gert sounds like she isn't too upset now about her magic. I hope she is okay.

realtreebar
07-02-2007, 12:32 AM
thanks for sharing !

mrsgaribaldi
07-03-2007, 03:49 AM
These reports are the best to read, thanks for sharing them with us:thumbsup:

thejens
07-03-2007, 10:36 PM
I thought you were being tongue in cheek about the geek part, but the DNA in the knitting...well, I am a dork too, so I can say that. I'm glad you all enjoyed the affection station. I must say I found it to be a Zen exercise repeating over and over "I am happy if the children are happy, look the children are happy, that's what is important." I am sorry but a bunch of sheep and that is it!!?? This is Disney World are you kidding me? but the children enjoyed it, that is all that matters. The silent tears are the worst!!!! And my mind too would be racing...how to protect children from any sadness, loss, or horrifying reality...I know I can do it if I just bribe someone... get up really early...what did the back pack look like again??...maybe if the fairy godmother cooincidentally came to the hotel.........

LibertyTreeGal
07-08-2007, 09:12 AM
Aww bless her heart, That about made me cry thinking how heart broken she was.

Yeah, me too -- it so much easier to deal with when they get loud and whiny and you don't have to feel sorry for them, but this would have been hard.....