PDA

View Full Version : Cat & Dog in DLR

Chescat
06-22-2007, 04:04 AM
Well as some of you know, christinedog is here to visit me with her dad this week and next week. I took her to the park today and will take her Tues. and Thurs. Her pop and brother are going tomorrow for fireworks and next Wed. So she will have lots of time there.

So I've been kidding JP and Nachocat about my trips to DLR are a lot different than everyone elses. So here was what we did today:

First was LibbyLu's for a make over. When I was at the park with RainyDaisy a while back, her daughter had one and really liked it. Talked Dog about it and she wanted the Hannah Montanna make over. Since this was her belated birthday, her wish was my command.

Then we went to DCA. Ate at the Hanger next to Soarin' after getting fast passes. We saw the yellow Monorail go by that's all painted for Nemo. Since only one monorail was running, I don't know if all the monorails are yellow now? So after eating we headed to Animation Studio. We ran into the High School Musical Pep Rally so did some dancing in the street. Then continued to the Animation Building. We hit the Animation Studio after picking up our VMK card for the Animator's Desk. We made Winnie the Pooh's. Dog's Pooh still looks like an evil Pooh. This is all TinkCollector's son's fault. They made mutant Mickey's last year together!

Then back to Soarin', then off to the Pin Trade Board by P.T. Fleas. Course a trip to P.T. Fleas put me in the poor house after buying Pin Bags and Pins for me and dog. Then come to find out, to complete our set of Dream Pins for this week, Tinkerbell was only sold in Little Green Men shop in Tomorrowland. Dreading the walk we wander around a bit looking for a pirate purse for dog (they are all ugly and don't have anything good).

So in to Disneyland and we hit the Main Street Train Station. The Ward Kimball shows up. We are near the end of the line going in. About 3 groups ahead of us, the conductor says do any of you care to ride in the back car. I'm like :here::here: He said its not air conditioned and a bit warm for a day like this. But there are fans. We watch all 3 groups say not interested. I'm thinking are these people morons or what. So about 15 of us entered the back car.

Well turns out the cabbose is the Lily Belle. I have tried for years and years to get in it. SparkleMeTink and her family did get to ride it about a year ago and did the same thing I did. Almost fainted when I realized I'm in this car! The guy told us that the car had been refurbished and that they are trying to have more normal people like us (not the usual VIPs) ride it. You can only get in it on Main Street. The story he told us was that when Disneyland first opened there were two operating trains. A passenger and another type train (I don't remember what he called it now, arg!). The Lily Belle was the only part left of that original passenger train. (If I got this mixed up, please somebody correct me). So we took a bunch of pictures and got off at the Tomorrowland station. Got our pins finally and left the park. I swear I must have been carrying 20 pounds worth of stuff!

You all see that part of Soarin' of lights along the freeway going to downtown LA, just before the Disneyland Main street shot. That looked like me going home tonight at 5:00pm. :mad:

Here's the Lily Belle pictures. Enjoy! BTW, the fans I have pictures of, he said the wiring was from the original train to the new fan.

Lilly Belle Pictures (http://s98.photobucket.com/albums/l249/chescat/Disneyland/LillyBelle)

JPL
06-22-2007, 08:59 AM
Awesome pictures and it's great to ride in a piece of Disney History:thumbsup:

RenDuran
06-22-2007, 09:44 AM
Beautiful train pictures.....I would have sweat a little too, for a ride in that! :mickey:

Loved your day-trip report!

janmathatter
06-22-2007, 10:42 AM
That is so cool even if you weren't. So great things do come to those who wait..

and wait....

and wait some more......

chrisb26
06-22-2007, 11:45 AM
Wow Cat that is awesome. Great pictures of the train. Although I guess it didn't help that it was hot especially with Dog's hair. However how could you pass up an opportunity like that?

Blue Genie
06-22-2007, 02:31 PM
Cat is that the train were the sets are in a row or when u get on the train u just set. If it's the one that is in a row then I've been on that train.

Chescat
06-22-2007, 02:42 PM
Ward Kimball train has the seats facing the depot that goes across, as opposed to the one with the rows that faces the engine. You will recognize it, its the one with the closed in car at the back. The others don't have that last car.

Genie you will laugh. Dog mentioned yesterday when we were in the Animation Building. Remember when you, me and Genie went into that place where we were suppose to sing and we made you sing. I remember you two hiding behind me, leaving me alone singing Hakuna Matata. At least that isn't on a video anywhere. :blush:

Another piece of good news. I asked about whether Mr. Lincoln would come back. We've been begging for a long time at City Hall. Well I guess since the theater and all the sound, etc is still in that theater. They are going to bring back Mr. Lincoln. The schedule keeps changing but its looking like near end of the year. Going to do a happy dance in there when it comes back. That was the only thing not left in the park that came from World Fair 1964 (COP is in WDW). :clappy::yay::joy:

WED1901
06-22-2007, 04:05 PM
Nice Pics of the Train Cat! Glad you made it aboard finally!! Thanks for the Trip Report :mickey:

Blue Genie
06-22-2007, 04:20 PM
Ok cat. I really don't know the names on the trains cause I never look at the names. So I may have been on the one u have been on. And boo for Mr. L to return. I never did like that show.

mickeytinkerbellprincess
06-22-2007, 06:17 PM
How cute a Hannah Montana makeover :P Sounds like a cool trip! :)

Patricia
06-22-2007, 06:21 PM
Oh! Lucky cat!

There were two trains represented, freight and passenger. The car you rode is was originally the Grand Canyon,"car 106". Sadly the cars small windows prevented it from being a very good viewing car for the diorama.

In 1974 it was decided it would be renamed the Lilly Belle during a rehab to ready it for the Bi-Centennial. A train car named after someone is usually decorated in that person's taste.. explaining the Victorian style that Lilly loved. For a period of time it was being used only by dignitaries, Disney execs or VIP's holding a Lilly Belle ticket. The first VIP guests on board the car, were Japanese Emperor Hirohito and his wife, who were visiting during the bi-centennial. During that year, it was simply known the Bicentennial Special or Presidential Car. It was rehabbed again in 1996.. and again in 2005.

The parlor car is looking pretty good from your pictures.. coincidently, that car is as old as Mickey Mouse.

Chescat
06-22-2007, 06:45 PM
Awesome information. I love those types of facts. I remember him saying Grand Canyon but we hadn't heard the first part of what he was saying. Dog and I were running up and down the car taking pictures so didn't hear the first part of that.

I also got some more information about something else we saw that I realized I didn't mention here. One of the monorails is all yellow now and has the Finding nemo logos on it. I wasn't sure if it was all of them, or just that one. Here was the response I got back from Mufasa:

http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showpost.php?p=1330647&postcount=17

WED1901
06-22-2007, 07:08 PM
Nice Patti!!

I'm with Cat I love hearing that kind of info! Thanks for digging that up and letting us know!

Wow Cat...that kind of makes you VIP..ish right?:D

Chescat
06-22-2007, 08:00 PM
I'm going to try an experiment next week. Going twice with Dog. Going to talk to the people in the Main Street station about how often this is happening now, so we can advise everybody else on what to do. ;)

VIPish, well if you saw the picture he took of Dog and me, I don't think we fall in that category. I'm sitting with somebody wearing a Hannah Montana wig with makeup in 80 degree weather. :funny:

trackbarroness
06-22-2007, 08:59 PM
Sounds like you girls had a blast there cat. Awesome pictures btw. The car looks like an old(ancient) fashion passenger car from the turn of the last century. I love these old(ancient) trains. :thumbsup:

jjramsey
06-24-2007, 12:44 AM
Wow!

Nice photos Chescat!