PDA

View Full Version : Anyone suffer from arthritis?

conorsmom2000
06-21-2007, 08:48 PM
A little background - I was born, well, with the wrong knee caps (the joke in my family is that my twin brother got them.... :D) They are too small to fit where they are supposed to and my muscle is (was) in the wrong place. We didn't find this out until I dislocated it swimming in the ocean when I was 13 - one strong wave popped it out, another popped it back in. I barely knew what was happening as I was caught in an undertow and couldn't get out until my brother dragged me out - that's when we saw my knee was 5 times bigger than it should have been and I couldn't put any pressure on it. 6 weeks in a knee imbolizer and I was better....so I thought, until a year later, almost exactly to the day, when I dislocated it playing softball in Sophmore year gym class - that time there was no wave to put it back in. :( I was taken by ambulence to the hospital where the dr's had to set it (owwwww!) At that point, I found out my knee cap was no longer attached (sorry! :blush:) and I'd torn everything I possibly could. So, after 4 weeks in a full length cast, and 6 months of therapy to build up my leg muscles - I had reconstructive surgery, including a screw that now holds everything in place. Today this surgery would be on an outpatient basis and you'd have two little scars - but, 22 years ago, it was big time surgery, 5 days in the hospital, 6 weeks in a full length cast, then lots of therapy and a 7 inch scar. (For some reason, my right knee has stayed fine, though the condition is in both.)

Well, about 3 or 4 years ago, I started having pain in the knee and I remember on Halloween, trick or treating with Conor, and I could barely walk. I went to see an Orthopedic Dr and he said I had "Severe post-traumatic/post-surgical arthritis" in the knee. (caused by genetics, and the way they did the surgery - which unfortunately, was how they did that surgery back then). He said I've actually always had it, but I've just learned to compensate for it without realizing it. He said he has the same type of arthritis and he runs 6 miles 3 x's a week, so it's definitely manageable. He started me on Celebrix but honestly, it didn't help. I had a follow up appointment, which I had to cancel, then the knee started feeling better....and kept feeling better....now, many years later, I've yet to go back. (I tend to "forget" to go unless I'm in pain).

Well, now, out of the blue, the knee is acting up again - it's swollen, painful and so stiff! :confused: Obviously now I really need to follow up with the Orthopedic Dr, but in the meantime, for anyone that suffers from arthritis, is there anything that helps? Ice? Heat? It's been like this off and on for a few days, but today is the worst - walking isn't bad, but stairs are a killer.

Hindsight is 20/20 of course and I could kick myself for not going back - I want to do what's necessary so I don't feel like this! Any advice would be appreciated! :mickey:

Tink&Goofy
06-22-2007, 08:13 PM
I have a very similar situation with my knee as well! Although it was an injury my Junior year, while on dance team. My knee also went out of joint (and back in!) :medic: I actually broke off part of the bone (the weight bearing surface of the bone in the joint). I had surgery - and they were going to wire it back together, but instead just removed the broken bone piece. Sounds horrible, but it actually was a better outcome. Long story short, at age 16 the doctor told me I had the arthritis of a 70 year old. He told me I shouldn't run (no issue there, LOL), wouldn't be able to ski (yep, he was right - not enough stability there), would always have to deal with arthritis. Pretty negative stuff for a 16 year old!
Although he was right about the running and the skiing, I'm happy to say that the arthritis (although there), has not hampered me much in the many years since then. I do have alot of pain when there is a drastic weather change - especially in the fall/winter when it becomes cold and damp. I will say that when I climb stairs, my knees creak like someone in their 70s (or 80s). Sounds terrible, but usually not painful.
I have heard of using either hot or cold packs for the pain. Doesn't really seem to be a consensus on which one - it seems to be whatever works for you. For me, the cold works better. When my knew is really sore, I use a brace or tight wrap - and the added support seems to help alot. I don't take any prescription meds - just use ibuprofen. The doctor said it was OK to take 400 mg (or even 800mg) at a time - for a very short duration. This seems to work just fine.
Good luck - from one gimp to another....:blush:

Here we go again...
06-22-2007, 11:14 PM
I have osteo and Rheumatoid arthritis and have had RA since I was 9 years old. You will need to continue to do therapy on your knee if you want to keep it. Many people are lucky and therapy will get you back in shape and you can keep your knees for years.

My sister had torn ligaments in her knee so bad that she had reconstructive surgery when she was 14. Like you, she got the monster cut.... her leg had more cuts and scars than you could imagine. At 42 years old they had to do knee replacement... every thing just pretty much fell apart.

I have been able to keep my arthritis in check with anti-inflamitories, exercise and orthroscopic surgery to clean up my knees every now and then. Well, this year I lost the battle. At the age of 44 I had a total knee replacement on May 21st. I am one month out and still having problems. I know it will be the best thing in the long run, but I sure am having a Looooonnnngg recovery time.

Take ibuprophen (or Celebrex or Mobic) for inflamation. When it hurts REST it. When it does not hurt, exercise it! (use it or lose it)
Ice it only after exercise and only for about 10 minutes. Heat feels good about any time. But, do not heat right after exercise... you need to ice to make the swelling go down.

Remember the barimetric pressure playes a HUGE roll in how you will feel each day. So be prepared. If you have creaking and crunching that is usually just a sign of the arthritis... however, if there are spurs in there you can easily tear a miniscus and that will require surgery.

I wish you a long and happy life with your own knees. Don't forget, pool exercise is our friend.:mickey:

MsMin
06-26-2007, 01:32 AM
I was diagnosed w/ arthritis when I was 17. I have used anti inflammatories and tried to stay active as my dr. prescribed at that time. I read somewhere that during pregnancy your body secretes a hormone that can relieve arthritis and mine didn't bother me for years. I still get flair ups but my doc says mine is not the destructive type but is genetic and adequate rest at night paired with regular exercise helps keep it in check.
Don't kick yourself now. Many of us avoid the dr. and many too feel if it's not broken don't fix it.
Hope yours is not serious and just a minor flair up. Let us know! :)

Mickey'sGirl
06-26-2007, 08:46 AM
Jen, I am so sorry for your pain! I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and take a bevvy of anti-inflamatories and immune suppressing drugs to keep it in check (RA is a degenerative auto-immune disease).

Anti-inflamatories will help with the pain and swelling -- and heed Angel's advice on icing and applying heat.

I wouldn't hesitate to go to your doctor -- he/she may suggest terrific therapies that will help you get back to "normal".

My best advice is to go to a specialilzed running shoe store (like for runners) and have them fit you for a really decent pair of running shoes to wear. As casual as they look, my shoes save my feet and knees every day....they were worth the money.

:pixie: for you! I hope you find some comfort soon!! :mickey:

conorsmom2000
06-26-2007, 11:43 AM
Thanks guys, for all your tips (though, I'm sorry that you all suffer with this too!)

Jenn, you brought up a really good point - my sneakers are pretty old and I'm wondering if that might be contributing to the sudden flare up. I distinctly remember the first visit to this Orthopedic Dr and I made the mistake of wearing Keds sneakers - he immediately "scolded" me saying that how they have no support and if he saw me in them again, he would personally come to my house and rip the tongues out of them! (he was kidding, but serious about not wearing keds!) I think the running store is a great idea.

Angel, your advice really hit home - the use it or lose it. You're 100% right - the only way to keep things in check is to keep exercising it, which I had been slacking on. I'm sorry to hear that you are still having problems - I hope soon things will be much better!

It's much better now, though I still feel a constant pressure where the screw is, which happens occasionally. I've been using my brace as needed and I see the Dr. next week. Thanks again for all the advice! :mickey:

Marilyn Michetti
06-26-2007, 02:03 PM
I've had both my knees replaced because of arthritis, one in 1997, and one in 1999. So far, they're holding up very well. I also have M.S., and am in my mid-sixties, so I use an ECV for anything further than the mailbox.

Your question was, "what helps" with the pain, and I have to say, "heat is your best friend". Rest, when you can. Don't sit or stand too long. Excercise moderately, (in a heated pool, if possible), and wear the best shoes you can afford, that will support and cushion you. There are some wonderful medications on the market, but they all have side effects. Diet can help slow down the process. Eliminate wheat, dairy, and red meat, (if you can). There's a wonderful book called ARTHRITIS - Fight It With the Blood Type Diet, by Dr. Peter J. D'Adamo. It customizes diet according to blood type. I've got to admit, it's drastic for someone that stops by Dunkin Donuts on Sat. morning, and loves cheese, but I'm going to give it a shot.

Hope all the good advice from all the above post's helps. Keep us posted. It's no fun!:(