PDA

View Full Version : GC vs DH

Roo Girl
06-21-2007, 08:58 AM
Hi all! I currently have a ressie for the Grand Californian with a DCA view- but I heard the GC isn't on the monorail. Since the hotels are all so close to the park (so I hear, haven't been to DL ever) is it just as good to stay at the Disneyland Hotel with a Premium view to be on the monorail? I am struggling with this since I have no experience with DL yet. Thanks! :mickey:

NotaGeek
06-21-2007, 12:15 PM
The great thing about Disneyland is technically ALL the hotels are "on the Monorail"! It's only about 10 a 10 minute walk through DTD from any of the 3 hotels to the entrance to either Disneyland or California Adventure, and the Monorail Entrance is about 5 minutes or so walk from Disneyland Hotel, or Paradise Pier. BUT, if you stay at the GC then you might be right by the entrance to DTD, which is about a 5 minute walk from the security check point into the Entrance Plaza.

All the hotels are close! It's great and you will LOVE the proximity!

tinkwest
06-21-2007, 06:13 PM
I would not change a reservation based on the monorail. The difference in distance from the GCH to the DTD monorail station and the DLH to the DTD monorail station is just minutes. Looking at it in those terms, the GCH (although once again, only by minutes) is closer to both main park entrances. I guess I'm just really repeating everything NotaGeek said!!

future_imagineer
06-26-2007, 10:59 AM
We are staying at GCH in a little less than a month, and it is my understanding that GCH has a private entrance gate to DCA, and is about a three minute walk away from the plaza that separates the main turnstiles of DL and DCA.

drevlo
06-27-2007, 07:22 AM
Future imagineer is correct.
The GCH does have an alternative entrance to DCA.
We stayed at the GCH for the first time last October, and one of the main things that stood out to us was how much closer the Hotel was to the parks then the other two "on property" Hotels.
The distance doesn't seem that great at first, but when it's late at night, and you're dragging yourself (and the kids....if you brought 'em) back to your room...THAT is when you appreciate how much closer the Hotel is.
We always used to pass on the GCH, just because is cost so much more than the other Hotels, but now that we've stayed there...it's tough to imagine staying anywhere else.:mickey:

BrerGnat
06-28-2007, 11:41 PM
The Grand's DCA entrance is far enough into the park to make it a longer way to get into DISNEYLAND park. It is great for getting into DCA, but pass on it as a way to "shortcut" into DL, because it is NOT really a shortcut. It's much faster to go out the Downtown Disney entrance and then get into DL that way. The DCA entrance is GREAT when you are coming back to your hotel from DCA, though!

I would not use the monorail as a deciding factor. It is actually quite a walk from the towers of the DLH and the waits can be very long! If you are booked at the Grand, stay there! It is a fabulous (and beautiful) hotel.

We are going to stay for a few nights in October or November for a first family stay in a hotel and we were originally considering the DLH but ruled it out because the DLH does not have balconies you can go out and sit on (which is crucial to us with two toddlers who go to sleep VERY early). We will be staying at the Grand as long as they have rooms available when I finally get confirmation on the dates we can go.

Oh, and also, if you are interested in "seeing" DLR, download Google Earth, or use Windows Live Local maps to view the DLR from above. There are tools you can use on Google Earth to map distance paths, so you can have an idea how far apart (or actually, close together) everything is at DLR. Really, it's a very small place. The distance from the DLH (at one end of the property) to the entrance gate at Disneyland (at the other end) is the same distance as from the International Gateway entrance at Epcot to the Yacht Club, if that helps with perspective.

TexasPrincessAurora
08-14-2007, 06:55 PM
As a WDW vet who's used to having to take transportation everywhere, staying at DLR and experiencing all the closeness was refreshing. We stayed at GCH last winter and it was a short walk to the DL entrance. The alternative entrance to GCA was very handy, especially at the end of the day. Either way, being able to just walk to and from the hotel, the parks, the shops and the other hotels, in a matter of minutes was very nice!

doombuggy
08-30-2007, 03:53 PM
I am going in February for a special event and plan on using my DVC points to stay at GCH. I have stayed at the other two, and would probably not stay at GCH if paying cash (too expensive for me). I like the fact that it is so close to the parks. I have heard great reviews of the hotel, so I am eager to stay!

Enjoy your trip!