PDA

View Full Version : The Mac Family: Day 3: Star Wars, Nothing but Star Wars . . .

dpamac
06-20-2007, 08:36 PM
Cast
Gary (a.k.a dpamac)
Chris (his long-suffering wife)
Matilda (11 going on 40, name changed to protect the innocent)
Gertrude (She’d want to make sure you know that she’s 5 and a half. Not just 5. Name also changed to protect the innocent.)

Warning. I’m verbose, so these will get long. Also, I took over 600 photos of the whole trip. I’m happy to share my Flickr page with anyone who wants to PM me because I can’t post the links here. I tend to get loose with my language off the boards. I’m not saying I drop any of the big ones, but my goofy comments wouldn’t pass the “would you want your five-year-old repeating it” rule we try to keep here. If you want to see them, drop me a line.

Day 2: Star Wars, Nothing but Star Wars . . .

After our highly successful arrival, we were tempted to avoid the parks all together and ride only the transportation. The kids seemed to like it, I liked it and there were endless combinations. I could ride from Coronado Springs to Downtown Disney to the Boardwalk . . . Matilda even suggested we pick a number, take the first bus that arrived, get off and keep doing that for that number until we stopped somewhere. My fear was we’d end up at the TTC. So we decided to go to Disney/MGM Studios.

I actually had a nice morning wandering around CSR drinking coffee. So, I had that going for me. I pondered the concept of Star Wars Weekends. I’m a huge geek. My wife is a huge geek (though she’s a Trekker, for real! Conventions and everything!) But this vacation is for the kids. Do I restrain the geek or do I let my inner comic book store guy come out?

When we arrived, we immediately noticed the storm troopers on the roof. They were talking, making jokes and of course watching invisible TIE fighters passing over. Gert, ever fearful, was sure that there was an invasion in progress.

Matilda wanted to ride Star Tours. So, we went and Fast Passed that immediately. I got to watch the kids at Jedi Academy and, I admit, I got a little nostalgic and misty. I would have given anything for an opportunity like this. When the kids got to battle Darth Vader? I would have freaked. I was so happy for those kids that I could have gone home at that moment. Gert was a little frightened by seeing Darth Vader in person. For her, reality and fantasy were blending a little too quickly and sinisterly.

While we waited, the girls met their first princess. Leia. Awesome. I gushed. I admit it. We followed that up with our first souvenir purchases of the trip. An Ewok for Matilda and a Jedi Mickey for Gert. Jedi Mickey has become her security blanket since the trip and the two are inseparable.

Ultimately, I was happy to just experience everything from the side. I decided that, since this trip was for the kids, I’d skip the main events and just enjoy the little kids running around in Jedi robes and give up my chance for the parade and get togethers. In the end, it was a good choice for me . . . after all, as my wife would say, “The good of the many outweigh the good of the few, or the one.” To which I would reply, “What’s that flashing?” Sorry. Geek jokes.

We tried to get Gert to ride Star Tours. She would actually like it, if she didn’t get freaked out by the queue area. So, that set the tone for the rest of the trip. Honestly, it took me a while to accept the trip she wanted to have and the trip I thought we were going to have were not the same. Once I relaxed, I had a much better vacation. So did Gert. She and I learned a lot. I now understand a heck of a lot better, how real things are for her. She may be an analytical girl who figures out a lot of stuff on her own, but in reality she believes things pretty darn deeply. I feel bad for trying to impose my idea of the trip on her and not just embracing things for what they were. That’s what months and months of planning can do to a guy.

After Star Tours (fantastic, as always), we headed off to the Muppet Theater. Also a sore spot for Gert. Three of us loved it, one of us didn’t. We then met Woody and Buzz. The girls immediately caught the bug for autographs and quickly set their sights on many a character. I think the only ones we skipped were Lightning McQueen and Mater because of the lines.

I spent some quality time with Herbie in the streets and felt happy and secure in my own childhood. The kids still don’t understand why mom and I went running to Herbie and demanded photos with him. “It’s a car,” they said. “The movie wasn’t even that good.” After trying to explain Buddy Hackett to them, I gave up.

Even though lunch was in half an hour we were starving. So we ate some pretzels, drank a Coke and listened to the High School Musical show somewhere off in the distance. The girls, naturally, danced and I pretended that I didn’t know all the words.

Lunch was at Sci Fi, natch, which the girls loved. Again, they were in love with the dining plan because of the extra food they don’t normally get. Sigh. If I knew all I needed to do was slip them a milk shake every once in a while, I would have. Gert lamented that she had no glowing ice cubes.

After lunch we immediately waited to meet Ron Stoppable and Kim Possible. They chatted a bit with the girls and, I saw a real connection with the characters and Gert. As if she were really buying into the fantasy. Then it was off to the Stunt Show.

It’s cool, I admit. Though the stadium was amazingly hot that day. I expected Gert to get upset about the fire, explosions and noise. After all, she had been hyper-fearsome on this trip. Not so. She really enjoyed it, as long as I kept spritzing her with water from her spritzing fan. Afterwards we were all so thirsty that I honestly thought we were going to all turn to dust.

After slamming a few bottles of water, we decided to head over to Sunset Blvd so Mom could either Fast Pass or wait for Tower of Terror. Didn’t work out. The Fast Passes were at a time after we wanted to be gone for the day and she really didn’t want to wait in line by herself. Being as the whole family are Twilight Zone fans (even fearful Gert loves Talky Tina), she would want to point out certain details and the silly strangers wouldn’t understand. Matilda patently refused to go on the ride and Gert wouldn’t even entertain the idea of a swap.

Hey, I thought, let’s go to Voyage of the Little Mermaid. Gert loves Ariel. She loves mermaids. What cold possibly go wrong?

Everything. The whole thing terrified Gert. Again, it was the blending of reality and fantasy. It wasn’t the dark, the noise or even the puppets. It was how something that happened in the movie or on stage would translate into something happening to her. The ship splashed in the beginning, she got wet. There was a storm in the story, she saw the lightning and felt the rain . . .

I was feeling down. I had brought my little princess, the apple of my eye, to Disney to make her happy and I felt like I was torturing her. Everything I thought she’d enjoy, she hated. Everything I thought she would have fun doing, terrified her. I know it’s something she’s working through on a personal level, because she hasn’t always been this way, but it really was getting me down.

So we wandered over to Playhouse Disney Live. She doesn’t watch any of the shows anymore, but we figured we’d give it a shot. When Matilda was roughly that age, this show was like seeing the Beatles for her.

“This is more like it,” Gert told me as she got up and danced. At least I wasn’t going to win the Daddy Dearest prize. In the pictures, you can even see Matilda smiling . . . the pre-teen angst slipped away for a moment.

Dinner at Prime Time. Girls loved it. They both got Pirate Punch and light up Tinks. I ate like a pig. (Fried cheese, people. 50 weeks out of the year I train on a bicycle to ride faster and further. I deserve some fried cheese!) We were seated next to a rowdy family who were causing trouble and actually were admonished by the staff (I mean, for real . . . not the pretend admonishments they normally dish out). We talked gingerly with them, but I think they could tell that we weren’t going to get involved in their food fight games. My family sat and chatted and had fun joking around with each other. We had a blast, while they threw food at the next table.

As they were leaving, one of the women commented on how well-behaved our children were. We thanked her politely and wondered if, perhaps, she weren’t throwing sugar packets and yelling at other guests and the wait staff, perhaps, her children would be better behaved. But, before I completed that thought the S’Mores arrived.

Sorry. I had to stop and wipe up the drool.

After dinner, we headed off to the Walt Disney exhibit and marveled over how many ash trays he had in his office. I knew he loved his cigarettes, but wow. Just wow. I’m sure he and my father are up there somewhere enjoying a Lucky Strike and talking about trains, but still . . . wow.

We were trying to think of what to do next when Matilda said, “Can we just go swim?” So, after picking up a Hannah Montana poster (Gert is her #1 fan, in a totally Kathy Bates sort of way . . . she knows everything about Miley Cyrus) we headed back to the hotel and splashed in the pool for a while. Guess who was there? Rowdy family . . . It’s a small world, after all.

I have to admit, outside of Tower of Terror and my general fascination with movies, I really don’t dig the studios much. Granted, I could spend the whole day on ToT, but in all honesty it’s my least favorite park. I just don’t feel it there.

Tomorrow, the Magic Kingdom and the beginning of the Quest for the Lost Magic. Stay tuned.

Chescat
06-20-2007, 08:52 PM
Your trip report is great. :funny:

I had a similar incident with a friend's grandson at DLR. We thought we had finally talked him into going on Pirates. He's 7. Almost had him to the boat. We were about to sit down and next thing we see is him going right through the boat to the otherside. So we were all fighting who is going to stay behind. I finally did since I go on the ride a lot. I asked why, he said those water drops and its dark down there. After about 5 mins, he gets on his cell phone (restricted to his folks & grandparents number) and tries to dial grandma & grandpa. He's afraid the pirates had gotten them. Tried to explain its a 20 mins ride. Also they were underneath us so I didn't think they would get reception. Finally they came out and all was well. We did the same on Mansion. But he couldn't escape that time. Now he loves it.

Its funny trying to understand what will scare then and what will not. I see a lot of kids running in terror from the characters since they sometimes seem so oversize to them.

Can't wait to hear more about Gertrude. :D

Lizzie
06-21-2007, 11:03 AM
What a great day at MGM. Thanks for such an enertaining report.

faline
06-21-2007, 11:34 AM
I can certainly understand how difficult it is at 5-1/2 to separate reality from fantasy - particularly in this day and age, when we are so capable of creating a fantasy that can even seem real to adults!

Great report!

Christine
06-21-2007, 04:37 PM
Poor Gert!

My DH and I know that feeling! Our daughter actually had a mini-panic attack on Small World one time! She was terrified it would go under water (and this is after multiple trips to WDW and numerous rides on IASW.) :confused:

I hope that the Rowdys were more behaved at the pool!

dpamac
06-21-2007, 07:34 PM
Heh, I think the Rowdy Family was embarassed by their behavior and quickly exited the pool. They weren't so rowdy there. I think they just got carrried away with the whole theme of the PrimeTime vibe anyway.

Of course, I was blissed out on S'Mores, so I honestly wouldn't have noticed if they had lit the pool on fire.

Melanie
06-21-2007, 07:48 PM
Honestly, it took me a while to accept the trip she wanted to have and the trip I thought we were going to have were not the same. Once I relaxed, I had a much better vacation. So did Gert. She and I learned a lot.

Boy, that sounds familiar, Gary! :yes:

I'm so sorry Gert was having a hard time with things. I understand more than you know.

That's too funny about running into the Rowdy family at the CSR pool. :funny:

Emily
06-21-2007, 09:16 PM
I'm cracking up over here! :funny: Love your reports, Gary!

Sorry about Gert, though. Poor little dear. Sounds like things get a little better though? Hope so!

Carol
06-22-2007, 10:07 AM
She would actually like it, if she didn’t get freaked out by the queue area. So, that set the tone for the rest of the trip. Honestly, it took me a while to accept the trip she wanted to have and the trip I thought we were going to have were not the same.I just wish other thought like you, Gary. It amazes me how many parents force their kids 'to have fun'. :shake:

Love your reports and perspective.

Bethis26fan
06-22-2007, 10:19 AM
It's funny how the simple things in life make kids most happy. Thanks for sharing. Off to read more.

January-2007
06-22-2007, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the detailed trip report!

pdrlkr
06-22-2007, 11:56 PM
Thanks for the report! :smickey:

sleepingbooty
06-23-2007, 10:18 AM
Lovin your reports, Gary. I hope little Gert finds her magic!

crazypoohbear
06-23-2007, 11:24 AM
Love your reports. I hope your daughter out grows this. My DS is 12 and still hasn't. But, like you I realize that he enjoys being a spectator and watching everyone have fun, My father was the same way. Different strokes:)
At least now he's old enough where he'll just hang out in the gift shop and wait. It did take a long time to realize that his good time and our good time didn't have to be the same

wilshade
06-23-2007, 05:54 PM
Continuing a very good read. Your daughters slammed you about Herbie and you took it like a man! Well done! ;)

Ian
06-24-2007, 08:32 AM
All I can say is .... I feel ya, dawg!

It took me quite a few trips before I realized that my days of going commando through the parks, hitting one ride after the other, from open until close, were gone.

There aren't many rides DD is scared of (well ... Splash Mountain and ToT pretty much scared her pants off, but other than that ;) ), but her pace is very different from mine.

But you know what's great? When you all of a sudden figure out that enjoying WDW through the eyes of your kids is actually more fun than doing it yourself! I can tell you grasped that concept a lot more quickly than I did. Which doesn't really surprise me. :D

Anyway, great report Gary! Can't wait to read more!

HndrdPrcnt
06-24-2007, 11:15 AM
We have our own little "5 and a half" Gert. Same thing for us. Maybe it is just the age. She is generally so courageous. It is a bit frustrating when they don't want to go on an attraction that you know they would love if they just tried it!! However, I also believe that you can not force them to do something that they don't want to do.:thumbsup:

Dsnygirl
06-25-2007, 12:57 AM
:mickey: I am really enjoying your trip reports!! I agree with you about MGM... I could ride ToT all day, but don't really "get it" there... it just doesn't have the magic for me the other parks do. Glad to hear Gert enjoyed Playhouse Disney - my 5 yr old did, too - and my 8 yr old, who was convinced it was "too babyish" ended up standing up and dancing... hard to resist that music, even when they think they're "too big" for it.. Can't wait to read more!:thumbsup:

castlelady36
06-25-2007, 01:52 PM
Great report!!! On to read the next one.....:thumbsup:

DizNee143
06-26-2007, 11:53 AM
sounds like a good second day...sorry your little girl is a be apphrensive of most of the rides..but it sounds like its not bothering her one but and is having a wonderful time...
woohoo im off to read about your MK day!! :mickey:

#1disneyfan
06-26-2007, 09:39 PM
we had a similar experience when our DD was 4. it was her first trip to WDW and I wanted her to experience it all. once we let go and experienced it at her pace and with what she wanted to do, we had a great and memorable time. i guess it didn't help that her first ride in WDW was Space Mtn! :blush: bad parenting I know! Now she loves just about everything, being 11, with the exception of ToT.

Great reports, thanks for sharing.

ChipnDaleGal
06-29-2007, 08:24 PM
You are a good dad, Gary. Giving up your perfectly planned Disney Dreams and letting Gert go with the flow is what more parents should do at WDW. And I am loving the Star Trek references!!:thumbsup:

dolphinmickey9170
07-01-2007, 01:02 AM
Sounds like you have a couple of cuties. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed MGM, but I too agree with you about the lack of 'magic'. I could do ToT, my fav, and RnRC, my DD16, fav. My DH just hangs back, not a thrill seaker. He enjoys watching others have fun.

Can't wait to keep reading.

BronxTigger
07-01-2007, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the report, I'm off to read more! I feel the same way about MGM, it just doesn't hold my attention for very long.

realtreebar
07-02-2007, 12:10 AM
great report!

mrsgaribaldi
07-03-2007, 02:50 AM
Great report, you are hysterical:thumbsup:

mrsgaribaldi
07-03-2007, 03:31 AM
Thanks for sharing:thumbsup:

thejens
07-03-2007, 09:04 PM
I am really enjoying your reports. I feel the same way about MGM. On my first trip I had my kids convinced that standing in line for autographs was a bore, but Star Wars weekend ruined that this year! I did the same thing, I just gave in to the force! The kids had a ball, and then I did too.