PDA

View Full Version : Phila.-WDW via i95 or 76/81

Shoebee99
06-20-2007, 10:29 AM
:car: We will be driving to the World in Dec from the Phila. area. Kids have a half day of school so we will be leaving around noon (hopefully) - I 95 is the most direct route and the least amount of miles, but it looks like we'll hit Washington around rush hour :crowd:. I've heard people say that it's better to take the turnpike (76) to Harrisburg then 81 south to 64 which leads you back to Richmond VA below Washington, so I'm asking the experts!

I would hope to make it to GA or atleast SC and stay the night.

Is the extra miles worth the lack of congestion?:confused: I've taken 95 to WDW years ago and it is pretty direct and 81 to Tennessee years ago and it was a nice drive. Flying is out of the question - DH will not.:shake:

Thanks for your help!!

r4kids
06-20-2007, 10:37 AM
Gridlock is a night mare here you'll spend an additional 3 hours in traffic. Can you leave early in the morning and your kids can miss the 1/2 day? It would be worth it. The turnpike isn't bad but 81 does tend to be loaded with tractor trailers and you can hit traffic in certain areas: Hagerstown, MD, Martinsburg, WV and Winchester, VA. Good luck!!!

Shoebee99
06-20-2007, 10:58 AM
If we were making it past Washington by 3pm -3:30 at the latest, would we be missing the grid-lock?

robhink
06-20-2007, 12:07 PM
I would suggest taking I-95, depending on where exactly you are here in PA and what time you leave you may be okay. If you do leave at noon you should be able to be to DC around 3pm or so, it's going to be a little slower on the beltway but not as bad as it would be at 5 or so. I would say take the I-495 Western Beltway around Washington since they are doing work on the Wilson Bridge on I-95 and that area was a mess when I went through it last month.

The other issue about taking I-81 is the possibility of seeing more bad weather (ie snow) in December since you are a higher elevation on that road as compared to I-95.

I would suggest that you look at Santee, SC that's about a 9 hour or so drive from where I live, and leaves about a 7 or so hour drive to get to Disney the next day.

wedway fan
06-20-2007, 12:25 PM
if you stick to your noontime departure, you should be OK around DC. anything later than 1pm could be cutting it close. do you plan on picking up the kids and leaving right from school? certainly minimizes the chances of getting a later than expected start.

it's just about 2 hrs from the ben franklin bridge in philly to the DC beltway. that would get you to the area in enough time to beat the evening rush- much of which is actually on the south side of town.

be sure to take 495 around wilmington DE and 895 around baltimore- not that there's much traffic there, but you'll shave 10 minutes or so.

r4kids
06-20-2007, 01:22 PM
Just an FYI on Fridays the traffic will start at 3pm. Government gets out early and everyone else trys to head home early too.:mickey:

pluto40823
06-20-2007, 08:59 PM
Please let us know how you make out. We will be driving down also and are concerned about 95 and Washington. Have a great trip!:mickey:

Pop Centurion
06-20-2007, 09:07 PM
We drove from South Jersey one year down 95 and left around noon also. Traffic wasn't bad in DC area. I think you'll be fine

snifflesmcg
06-20-2007, 09:46 PM
I used to travel for a living driving everywhere and have driven to FL several times. Take it from me, skip the DC traffic. I'm sure alot of people will think the same thing to leave because of the kids half day schedule. All you need is just the right accident to tie you up for hours. :mad:

Shoebee99
06-23-2007, 08:54 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies. Currently the plan is to pick the kids up from school and leave from there. We should be past Washington DC prior to 2pm and that SHOULD be early enough to miss the rush hour. Sooo barring any major problems things should be ok.

Never thought about the better chance of snow over on 81 south - thanks.

Now I need something else to work on for the next 6 months!!