PDA

View Full Version : What to do in the rain?

Mackflava99
06-20-2007, 01:31 AM
I am here this week in WDW and wonder whats good to do in the rain- we are going to have heavy rain- not drizzle-
any thoughts?
Which park is best to visit in the rain?
:cloud9:

LibertyTreeGal
06-20-2007, 01:50 AM
All of them -- enjoy the short lines :thumbsup:

But seriously, Epcot is nice, it is wonderful to stroll through the shops while it rains (if the crowds are staying at the resorts and haven't mobbed the shop doorways), and Innoventions is always interesting. However, I like to be in the places outside when it rains :mickey: AK for me!

r4kids
06-20-2007, 06:34 AM
I would say Epcot or MK. Most of the rides are inside. You could also try Disney Quest in DTD.

TexasPrincessAurora
06-20-2007, 08:00 AM
I would say MK or DS, because the parks are more compact. You can get from attraction to attraction quicker and easier minimizing your time in the heavy rain. And most everything is inside so the rain wouldn't effect the attractions. Most of the shops, at least along Main Street and Hollywood Blvd, are all connected so once you are in one of them you can continue through all of them.

NewmanFamily6
06-20-2007, 08:10 AM
I guess that I am the lone vote for MGM. I like to watch the shows on days like that and MGM has a bunch:thumbsup:

DisneyFreak23
06-20-2007, 08:23 AM
MK!!!! Especially Splash mountain!!!...
that is, unless you want to stay dry...

If you are looking to stay dry, dont head for AK, the spread of the park will get you very wet if it happens to be raining.

The rain does do something good, it keeps crowds away. Once, when i was in MK and it was pouring during our character breakfast and the park was opening, not many people came in,and then, mid morning, it dried up, and we were able to have a great day at MK

AwPhooey
06-20-2007, 08:35 AM
I'd go with MK or Epcot.

The one thing I would recommend *not* doing is eating at a CS restaurant. We made the mistake of eating at Cosmic Ray's during a lengthy storm; the lines were horrible and it was nearly imposible to get a seat.

Mickey91
06-20-2007, 08:57 AM
MK is the best! The crowds stay away and the lines are awesome! Plus, almost everything is indoors. EPCOT is great too. You may want a poncho and umbrella to get from place to place. It is a bit chilly in the air conditioning if you're soaked. Actually, I would say anywhere but AK is okay.

ResQRanger82
06-20-2007, 09:26 AM
I'd have to agree with everyone else. I think AK is a harder place to find a dry spot. Epcot would probably be my top choice with all of the pavilions to hang out in. Otherwise, do like we do - grab a poncho and run between the raindrops!!!

BigBaloo
06-20-2007, 09:27 AM
Might as well just make the best of it & get more wet & go on Kali River Rapids! :rain:

4ubie1
06-20-2007, 09:38 AM
Just throw on some ponchos and go. We went when a tropical storm was coming through. It was great! Kept the :crowd: away and the lines were short. My only issue was when evening came and the winds would pick up.:rain: Other than that, I can say it is almost nicer to have rainy days and I think any park would be fine to visit. :thumbsup:

wilshade
06-20-2007, 10:32 AM
Downtown Disney is a good place in the rain. The shops seem to be big enough to absorb good size crowds.

emmingo
06-20-2007, 07:06 PM
Might as well just make the best of it & get more wet & go on Kali River Rapids! :rain:

EXACTLY! Once you're wet, you're wet. May as well make the best of it!

LoriMistress
06-20-2007, 07:19 PM
Bring ponchos and enjoy the tiny lines.

Lizzie
06-20-2007, 07:55 PM
I also agree bring ponchos and if you are traveling with a stroller make sure you have a cover for it.

Speedy1998
06-20-2007, 07:57 PM
If there is lighting, we head for the inside rides. If not we enjoy the short lines.

tomorrowschild
06-20-2007, 08:15 PM
MK- once it starts to pour the crowds flee- and the park is very empty. My brother and I always visit MK when it pours. The last 2 years we have been able to watch Spectro pretty much all alone, and have very little waits for most attractions (and this was the first week of July- a very busy time). Just remember to take a poncho with you.

dolphinmickey9170
06-20-2007, 08:33 PM
If staying in the park during the rain isn't for you, may I suggest going to DTD and to AMC Theater....take in a movie. Kills a couple of hours.

Polynesian Dweller
06-20-2007, 09:09 PM
We were surprised just how well those ponchos work. Get them and you'll be fine. That said, MK for the short lines but Epcot and DTD work well in the rain. :umbrella:

princessjojo
06-20-2007, 09:18 PM
Buy a poncho and just have fun! Go to MK or Epcot as many others have suggested and splash in the puddles, careful for the others, and be happy that you can be there! We did Epcot and there was hardly anyone there. It was great!

mic_keyfan
06-20-2007, 09:20 PM
I agree! Invest in the ponchos, and enjoy! if the rain and ponchos are not for you try DTD and DQ! My kids love DQ, you have to ride the Pirates interactive game and have a piece of cheesecake while you are there!

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
06-20-2007, 10:04 PM
We just put on our ponchos and go. The lines are short and in September when we go ,the rain actually feels good after days of heat.

We were at Epcot last year for our only rainy day and it was great. We did MK one year in a pouring rain. That was great too, no lines at all.

If you have a stroller, bring an extra poncho or rain cover for it. Nothing worse then a child having to sit in a wet seat.

Have fun!!

psychotekkie
06-20-2007, 11:14 PM
Yes, yes, we did the ponchos thing too... at first. Then we realized, its pretty darn hot when you wear a plastic coating!! The rain keeps you cool and washes the sticky sweat away. It feels better wet than in a poncho.

My daughter said, "Can I wear my bathing suit to the park?" She did and it was perfect. We carried a t-shirt in our backpack for later if it got cool.

(It rained on every day of our trip last year, except the day we went to AK. And then it was soooo hot we wished and prayed it would rain there, too)!

DisneyEpcotDad
06-21-2007, 05:15 PM
Epcot has several indoor attractions where you can enjoy and stay dry at the same time!:mickey:

Anborn
06-21-2007, 05:41 PM
last time I was at MK it started raining at noon and didn't stop all day. being near the top of swiss fam. robinson treehouse, as spectromagic was going on, in the rain was kinda cool.

but yes... if its going to rain...
go to the park anyway, don't melt, and have fun.

pook@wdw
06-21-2007, 06:28 PM
[QUOTE=LibertyTreeGal;1326829]All of them -- enjoy the short lines :thumbsup:

:ditto:

Joanna
06-21-2007, 09:51 PM
Just throw on some ponchos and go. We went when a tropical storm was coming through. It was great! Kept the :crowd: away and the lines were short. My only issue was when evening came and the winds would pick up.:rain: Other than that, I can say it is almost nicer to have rainy days and I think any park would be fine to visit. :thumbsup:

I agree! We were there when Hurricane Andrew came through and it rained and rained for several days. The crowds were minimal. The CMs let us just stay on the rides. I think we rode the teacups at least 20 times.

Flower
06-21-2007, 10:45 PM
MK has my vote in the rain, EPCOT is second.

EPCOT has alot of indoor stuff so it is a good place to go, but I love MK when it rains, and there is still alot to do there.

Jenemmy
06-22-2007, 07:10 AM
Actually, one of my sweetest memories is of a trip when just my son and I went. We were at MGM when the rain suddenly started. We hovered in doorways with the rest of the "world" at first and then thought "What the HECK!" and just went on about our business. We had so much fun that day. Sure, we had ponchos, but we splashed and jumped in puddles and really had a blast :mickey:

thejens
06-22-2007, 11:26 AM
If it is not thunder and lightening you may even try a water park. It drizzled on and off when we went to Typhoon Lagoon and it was great. No lines or crowds. We were already wet so the rain didn't bother us at all. Now, it was not a heavy rain and there was no thunder and lightening. We also spent time at Epcot during the rain, more of a steady drizzle. Innovations is great for this and there are lots of indoor attractions in the Land, Living Seas etc. The World does involve more walking but we didn't mind the drizzle and looked in shops etc. I think if it was really pouring it might be a bummer if this was your only time in the world since the outdoor ambiance and gorgeous topiaries and landscaping is so magical. But as others said, the World is fun no matter what the weather.

thrillme
06-22-2007, 12:07 PM
I splish and splash and "sing and dance" in the rain from one short line to the next. It doesn't matter which park. We just enjoy the cool wettness.

It's funny watching all the people running for cover and to the shuttles as if they were going to melt.

One time a BIG storm blew in while on Test Track and we were stuck inside for a quite a while...when finally were able to crash through the doors and onto the the speedway there were tons of leaves and several small sticks and stuff on the track. Didn't hurt anything but OBVIOUSLY there was a BIG sudden storm.

Pop Centurion
06-22-2007, 08:31 PM
I agree. Grab a poncho & go. Don't let the rain stop you from having fun that you paid good money for.

Natazu
06-22-2007, 09:52 PM
We don't have kids and we don't wear glasses so take this for what it's worth. We pretty much ignore rain and enjoy the shorter lines and cooler temeratures.

I think Epcot is about the best in the rain. The only drawback there is the line for Soarin' goes up by about 150%.

PiratePaul
06-24-2007, 12:33 PM
It's Disney forget about the rain.Enjoy yourself What ever you do.:mickey::thumbsup::blush::number1::party:

Mackflava99
06-25-2007, 11:20 AM
Thanks everyone- we took your advice and actually it didnt rain too much- we did Epcot and it was easy to go from country to country-

We also did MK and DQ the other 2 days and it worked to our advantage,
Out of 10 days it rained 3 which isnt bad-

Sorry to be a worry-wart:)

crazypoohbear
06-25-2007, 08:58 PM
So... how were the lines in the rain??

TheRustyScupper
06-26-2007, 11:00 AM
1) I don't mind which park we visit in the rain.
2) I just like to "go singin' and dancin' in the rain".

Jared
06-26-2007, 11:05 AM
Epcot is my favorite park in the rain. Many attractions are long, indoors and clustered in pavilions. You can easily spend a few hours having fun without getting wet, especially in Future World.

Mackflava99
06-26-2007, 03:18 PM
The lines were very light- you were correct :)
Thanks!!

DREAMADREAM93
06-26-2007, 03:31 PM
I must say that i am very anti-poncho. i think they're kinda tacky but to each their own i guess! I dont know- i think it's fun to get wet and hang out in the rain! I think its great that you can be soaking wet on a cloudy rainy day at Disney and the magic is still so vibrant!

All of the parks are great in the rain - no lines- no crowds - tons of fun!!

JOrdan :]

KAJUNKING
06-26-2007, 03:32 PM
ive never tried it but ive heard disney quest is a great place for a rainy day