PDA

View Full Version : 'Ohana late at night?

January-2007
06-19-2007, 04:18 PM
Restaurant: 'Ohana
Time of ADR: 9:30PM
Time of Wishes: 8PM
Time of Electric Water Pageant to pass by Polynesian: 9PM

I asked a question in another thread (http://intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=107630) about when people choose to dine, if only given the option of too early or too late. Everyone's responses were really helpful and I appreciate it a lot! One of the restaurants that we now have a "too late" reservation for is 'Ohana. You know what's really funny about it all? When I originally made my ADRs a good 2 months ago, the CM suggestion 'Ohana for dinner, but I brushed that suggestion aside and said, no, but thanks. Ha!

We ate breakfast at 'Ohana on our latest trip just this past May/June and thought it was the coolest restaurant. The reason I didn't want to go to dinner there originally was because the menu doesn't really appeal to me all that much. Funny thing is, I didn't like half of what they served at breakfast either, but still had the most fantastic time! The restaurant is so beautiful and the views are amazing.

But what about late at night? Will there be any views in the dark? All the cool "let's look out the window at this" events will be over by the time we dine. If we eat here on a different day, we could eat at 4:05PM. Is the atmosphere a lot different at this particular restaurant depending on the time you are seated?

The main reason we want to dine at 'Ohana is for the atmosphere, it's just so nice there. Has anyone had a really late dinner there or a super early one to compare it with? I'd love to hear some first hand experiences! Like I said, we've only eaten breakfast here, and this will be our first time eating dinner here. DH will eat anything, and I might love it all or just eat potatoes and bread pudding, but either way I'm pretty sure we'll be happy. In the back of my mind I wish the menu from Kona could be combined with the atmosphere at 'Ohana, it just has such a different feel! That's where our original ADR for that night was, Kona. It doesn't have a wow factor that we can see though, being open air into the lobby and less like an event.

All thoughts and comments are welcome, please share!

Vinny
06-19-2007, 06:19 PM
Just got back from WDW about a week and a half ago and tried Ohana for the first time for dinner. Our ADR time was for 6:20 and we arrived about an hour earlier to explore around the Polynesian. We decided to check in at the front desk of the restaurant and they informed us that if a table opened up earlier, we would be able to get in before our ADR time. To make a long story short we ended up getting in a full 40 minutes ahead of our ADR time and the tables were about 90% full at the time. I know it is not guaranteed, but what would you have to lose by checking in a little earlier? You could end up getting in earlier than your ADR time. Good luck, the dinner at Ohana is really alot of fun for everyone.

Belle--86
06-19-2007, 06:23 PM
We our staying at Poly in July and we are doing Ohana's the first night --ressies at 7pm.We can't wait to watch the water parade and fireworkls from the beach. We also our doing Ohana's for BKFST.:)

Belle--86
06-19-2007, 06:24 PM
We our staying at Poly in July and we are doing Ohana's the first night --ressies at 7pm.We can't wait to watch the water parade and fireworks from the beach. We also our doing Ohana's for BKFST.:) 29 DAYS TO GO!!!

January-2007
06-19-2007, 06:38 PM
I know it is not guaranteed, but what would you have to lose by checking in a little earlier? You could end up getting in earlier than your ADR time. Good luck, the dinner at Ohana is really alot of fun for everyone.

Good point! I was worried that they would frown upon us if we checked in too early, especially since it's during the Free Dining Promotion. I was thinking of maybe going down to the beach to watch the EWP before dinner, would the beepers reach that far? I doubt it... I guess we could check in and then ask how long the wait might be and go from there... Thanks for the first hand experience, it's nice to know you checked in early and it worked out for you!

And Belle--86, have a great trip!!

Vinny
06-19-2007, 06:52 PM
I was thinking of maybe going down to the beach to watch the EWP before dinner, would the beepers reach that far? I doubt it...

If I remember correctly, the beepers will only work if you are on the same floor of the lobby as the Ohana is. Glad the info was helpful.

vamaggie
06-19-2007, 07:57 PM
I was also going to suggest to head to the Poly early (even if you don't check in to Ohana early) I would go to the beach to watch Wishes & then check in to see if Ohana can take you early. IF they can great, it not, go back to beach to watch EWP.

January-2007
06-20-2007, 02:45 PM
I was also going to suggest to head to the Poly early (even if you don't check in to Ohana early) I would go to the beach to watch Wishes & then check in to see if Ohana can take you early. IF they can great, it not, go back to beach to watch EWP.

If DH agrees, I think we'll end up doing this. We have this strange fascination with viewing fireworks from unordinary places, so I think this could work out for us. Can anyone tell us anything about the views from the restaurant in the dark? Are there spotlights on everything so we could still look out at the Grand Floridian and such, or will everything be dark? And are the fun things that happen in the restaurant only in the early evening, like the music and kids activities? It'll just be DH and I, 23, but I've read how much fun everything is at night, if there's nothing going on because it's so late I'd like to know that ahead of time.

Thanks!!