PDA

View Full Version : Just booked- Aug 8-12

Roo Girl
06-19-2007, 12:53 PM
Just booked a summer getaway for DH and I- August 8th through 12th at Old Key West. How hot will it be? How crowded? I can't imagine NJ in the dead of summer is much different weather-wise, but I'm mostly concerned about long lines at the parks...:mickey:

disneycouple2004
06-19-2007, 01:20 PM
Long lines ..maybe...i think free dining is going on then...but the weather...oh my goodness...it will be so hot..and the humidity..:sun:..its bad...I thought it was hot in Texas...however..it is Disney..and you can stay cool if you try real hard..have fun !!
:D

Dedivah
06-19-2007, 01:35 PM
We will be there Aug. 5-12

I expect that it will be hot. But there is always a sprinkle or 2 during the day to cool things off. Then Disney has great big mist fans that I love!

I am not sure about the lines as I have been told that it starts to slow down around then when the kids start getting ready for school.

So lets pray that is true.

Free dining is not until about 2 weeks later.

faline
06-19-2007, 01:39 PM
It will be very hot and humid. Crowds are likely to be moderate but are beginning to ease off as schools begin to start their fall sessions.

llamaface
06-19-2007, 01:54 PM
I can't imagine NJ in the dead of summer is much different weather-wise, but I'm mostly concerned about long lines at the parks...:mickey:

We went to Florida in the middle of July a couple of years ago. I have lived in PA all my life and have never felt the extreme heat and humidity that I felt on that trip. There is no comparison!! We still had a great time though!

Roo Girl
06-19-2007, 01:54 PM
Ok not as bad as I thought. so I'm packing tank tops & flip flops!! I always bring a sweatshirt but probably no need in August! I expect it to be hot so I won't be surprised there; just hope the crowds aren't too bad- I can take heat but not 2 hours in line heat. Thanks everyone!

Dedivah
06-19-2007, 02:04 PM
I say bring the sweat shirt just in case.

We were there last year in July, it was blazing but the restaurants were cold. So you will need it for evening dining.

dizne4me
06-19-2007, 02:18 PM
Hey, we're going right after you get back - we leave on the 15th...I am planning for extreme heat...so my plan is to hit the parks early, early, early (anything with an EMH is for me) and to be out of the parks by 11 am - return back to the cabin (Ft. Wilderness) for lunch - go to the pool for awhile and then maybe(at least, I'm hoping) a nap..then after dinner, back to the parks for night time fun.
Just remember to visit the water misters and bring along a bottle of cold water (freeze them the night before). Have a great trip.

NJRRK
06-19-2007, 02:58 PM
Just booked a summer getaway for DH and I- August 8th through 12th at Old Key West. How hot will it be? How crowded? I can't imagine NJ in the dead of summer is much different weather-wise, but I'm mostly concerned about long lines at the parks...:mickey:

We've been there the last week in August and you are correct. People that don't know NJ don't realize how HOT is gets here in August.

But the lines will be up the kazoo! Use FASTPASS!!!

kakn7294
06-19-2007, 05:00 PM
We'll be there in August too - 11th to 19th. We've been in both July and August before and it's very hot and very humid, but it can get just that hot and humid here in Western PA too. I pack only shorts, tank tops or t-shirts, and flip-flops. Lines can be long, but a lot of the queues are air-conditioned at some point. After the mind-numbing cold evenings we had there in December, I welcome the heat - I can't stand being outdoors in the cold for that long!

cindyrellinut
06-19-2007, 05:20 PM
Fellow Jersey Girl here. We will also be there August 7-15. We go about this same time frame every year. You'd be suprised how hot it is down there. Usually same as the temps up here but with humidity so thick you could cut it with a knife. Around 12 or 1PM it gets oppressive. We always head out early and take a break around lunch time. The lines do get bad around 11 AM or so sometimes up to 60-90 minute waits for more popular rides. You also have to plan for the mid-afternoon shower that sometimes hits too. Happens to me everytime and always on the day I left the ponchos in the room.:confused: Have a great time and enjoy your stay at OKW!:mickey:

Lorraine444
06-19-2007, 06:30 PM
Us crazy August Disney Freaks....
I'll be there 5th-14th, expecting major heat & long lines. In 2003 I went the last week in August it was very long lines, so I'm not expecting anything any better since I'll be going earlier this year.
My only thought is maybe families pushed back their vacations for free dining..... Doubt it would be enough to make a difference though...
Good luck to us! The morning EMH are great!
I don't think I've ever tried evening EMH, I can't see how the crowds lessen @ night.

dolphinmickey9170
06-19-2007, 06:35 PM
We'll be there Aug 11-16th at OKW. Went in July last year for three weeks. It was really hot and humid. But there are so many things to do that you won't be staying in the hot sun too much. You can get in to shows and attractions, shopping, restaurants etc. You'll have a great time!!

Mousehead35
06-19-2007, 06:40 PM
Fellow NJ'er here too! :) We'll be there August 8th (my b'day) thru the 17th. We know it will be hot and humid and the lines will be pretty long, but what the heck, we'll be in Disney and that's all the counts. :mickey:

Roo Girl
06-20-2007, 08:54 AM
Us crazy I don't think I've ever tried evening EMH, I can't see how the crowds lessen @ night.

I avoid the park w/ evening EMH like the plague- no joke. It is always the most packed as I guess folks head to that park and plan to spend the entire day + EMH night. Every time I think "maybe this time the evening EMH park won't be SO bad"- and whammo! we are bombarded by massive crowds (MGM seems to be the worst at handling evening EMH.)

With the expected August heat & afternoon showers, I am ALL about the morning EMH this trip. See y'all there!