PDA

View Full Version : Warning Spirit Airlines!!

ariel03
06-19-2007, 08:51 AM
Spirit Airline is now charging $5.00 each way for each checked bag for their flights. It is $10.00 each way if you don't prepurchase. This is addition to any overweight bags and additional bags need to check. This upset me cause we purchased our flight in the begining of april and it said we could get one bag per person on for free and I was fine with that. Now it says anyone who is traveling after June 20th now has to pay for their bags.:mad:

disneycouple2004
06-19-2007, 09:39 AM
OK ..just one more reason for me to ship most of our luggage UPS about 1 week before we arrive..works like a charm..and you can track it and print out the page showing who signed for it ..day..time..and the resort will hold it for you until you check in..we also ship thing back home from the resort when we leave..:thumbsup:

faline
06-19-2007, 09:50 AM
The add-ons are getting ridiculous! It's a little like the commercial where the flight attendant is announcing how much it will cost to summon a flight attendant to your seat!

ariel03
06-19-2007, 09:55 AM
The add-ons are getting ridiculous! It's a little like the commercial where the flight attendant is announcing how much it will cost to summon a flight attendant to your seat!

Oh My God To Funny! :funny:

DizneyRox
06-19-2007, 10:17 AM
Well, if you think about it, it's pretty fair...

For example, I'm allowed what two bags, and my significant other can bring two bags. That's 4 bags we CAN bring if we want. Often we don't, but I feel like I'm paying for that anyway.

With the new system, I can pay for the bags I really need. Now, the funny part is, they aren't going to break out the baggage fees from the tickets, so this in effect is a price hike on airfare.

I don't fly Spirit, so it doesn't impact me. If it does become a trend, then looks like it will just be another factor to take into account when making flight arrangements.

All you need to do is look at total cost when doing your vacation planning. Many folks look at room rate only when determining where they stay. When you look at other costs, like parking and car rental, or items that are tough to quantify, like convenience, I don't think staying offsite is all that attractive, or any real value. This is very similar.

robhink
06-19-2007, 10:51 AM
Spirit is an Ultra Low Cost carrier, they have really cheap airfares (as low as $9) but the will make you pay for your bags and drinks. It's just their business model.

MickeyandTink
06-19-2007, 11:18 AM
Spirit is an Ultra Low Cost carrier, they have really cheap airfares (as low as $9) but the will make you pay for your bags and drinks. It's just their business model.

Spirit doesn't fly in our area, so I have no idea what they are like. However, I think Ariel3's big complaint is not that they charge for checked baggage but that they changed the rules AFTER she booked and paid for her flight.

If Spirit thinks they can be more competitive by charging lower fares and then charging for every little thing that's their business, but when they promise you one free bag and then after you've bought it say, "Oh sorry, we lied to you. You do have to pay for your bag even though we said it was free when you bought your ticket" that's fraud and misrepresentation.

If it were me, I'd contact Spirit and work my way up the management chain until they made it right. If you don't get satisfaction, then I would never do business with them again. I wish you luck.

Just my :twocents:

thrillme
06-19-2007, 11:58 AM
If it were me, I'd contact Spirit and work my way up the management chain until they made it right. If you don't get satisfaction, then I would never do business with them again. I wish you luck.

Just my :twocents:

:ditto:

A more LOGICAL bit of info would be anyone BOOKING after June 20th (they should have records of the date purchased). I'm sure if you contact customer service they should help out. The only catch about "never doing business again"...well if the price is right I could easily be swayed with a $200 or less ticket verses a $400 ticket. Alas...Spirit doesn't fly to San Antonio "YET". If I can fly CHEEP...I'd be happy to be strapped to the plane wing.

T-Belle
06-19-2007, 12:08 PM
So ironic that this posted on the very day that my DD and I prepaid for our luggage on Spirit airlines. Granted, I was surprised and bit ticked off that they charged extra for this but on the other hand my entire round trip flight including round trip luggage is only $140.00. With the price of gas and the fact that I can be at WDW in 1 1/2 hrs. instead of 7 hours drive time, I think it's worth it.

Ian
06-19-2007, 12:36 PM
I don't blame you for being angry. I'd be peeved, too, if they changed the rules on me. I'm sure the fine print is there to protect them legally, but it still stinks.

As far as the charges themselves go, I think we all better get used to it. I've read quite a few articles lately detailing how airlines are going to begin looking towards fees as a way to generate new revenue streams. That commercial may end up being too close to the truth for comfort.

I actually don't really care, however, I do think airlines should be required to disclose their full fares upfront and not just their base fare. The difference between the two frequently differ by tens of dollars.

PrincessEmmasMommy
06-19-2007, 01:27 PM
I will tell you from past experience that Spirit's Customer Service is horrible! I had some issues with a flight once and after searching for a phone number and being told that ther was no supervisor above the ppl. that answer the phones, I finally got through and was given a small voucher. I used the voucher and had major problems with the flight that I used it for. They gave the whole plane load of us vouchers that I refused to even use. I will never fly spirit again. So, good luck with Cust. Srvc.
As for your dilema, I know that they were already advertising the new baggage policy on their website in January (my inlaws were booking a flight then), so it has been published for when the policy would change.
Good luck!
Jen

Tick-Tock
06-19-2007, 02:09 PM
OK ..just one more reason for me to ship most of our luggage UPS about 1 week before we arrive..works like a charm..and you can track it and print out the page showing who signed for it ..day..time..and the resort will hold it for you until you check in..we also ship thing back home from the resort when we leave..:thumbsup:

It might be more convenient, but isn't that more than $5 a bag?

cindyrellinut
06-19-2007, 08:41 PM
I used to fly Spirit every time I went to Disney and for the first time in a long while I am not. Mostly for the bag and drink charges. Spirit can be low cost but I was able to find cheaper airfare with both Continental and Jet Blue this time around. I chose Jet Blue because of the TV for my kids. If the price was less than other airlines I would fly with them again in the future but not this time.

cvzdesign
06-20-2007, 09:31 AM
Allegiant is the same way $10 per bag per segment, but it really was no big deal since they fly non stop, and the tickets were only $70 each way, we saved lots of money and lots of time by fly ing them.
The less bags you bring, the less it costs you and the reduced weight saves them fuel, I'm sure.