bratmaster
06-18-2007, 09:48 PM
cast members:
Me (bratmaster!)
DH
DD Morgan age 11
DD Brynn age 7
DS Shane age 4

I was tempted to titled this trip "bratmaster's family road trip from hell". This is our second vacation as a family, the first time we went to disney 3 years ago. So i sort of knew what to expect this time and had expected it to be a lot more relaxing. This time the big difference was that we drove down instead of flying (from illionois), so the trip total took 2 weeks instead of one with driving time. Actually, I totally prefer to drive down. I found that aspect to be a lot more relaxing; we were on our own time schedule and i just felt more in control. The kids were actually really good in the car, all 3 of them. we left on friday june 1st, their last day of school, at 4:30pm. The kids were great and we had no problems. We made really good time that night and our only problem was when we tried to find a hotel they were all booked. I was baffled; as a kid we drove to florida every year and had never had that problem. The other problem was a lot of places had no rollaway bed, which you need with a family of 5. So it took us about a good hour to find a hotel. The second night was the same thing. Otherwise, other than a small traffic jam in georgia and some slight rain there too, the ride down was great. I didn't even use half of the distractions i brought for my DS4 (his birthday is next month, so he has a lot of presents saved up already!). Everything was great UNTIL.... we hit florida. this is where the hell part of the trip comes in. My daughters suddenly turned into psychotic little she-devils once we hit florida, and remained in that state until the exact moment that we started our drive home. They just snapped. Now our oldest DD11 has always been our "challenging" child. Pain in the butt if you will. But our DD7 is the "golden child" normally so we did not expect the misery that SHe put us through. She suddenly just began a pattern of tantrummy behavior, and complete obstinance to everything. DD11 just delighted in annoying and ticking everybody off to her utter amusement, which was worse than having a tantrummy kid. Once again, the one i had worried about, DS4, turned out to be a total angel on this trip in comparison. He has hyperlexia, which is sort of borderline under the autism umbrella, and he did have a few blow-ups, which i will describe later, but other than those few moments from him he was fine. The girls were so awful that by day 2 i seriously considered driving home.
Anyways, back to the trip. We stayed off-site at a wonderful hotel. i can't say enough about it. I know you guys are all for staying on-site, and we stayed at Pop last time, but honestly there was no comparison for what we got for our money. A beautiful, immaculately clean hotel about 5 minutes from everything. Huge room for the 5 of us, about twice as big as Pop, with a mini kitchen and a huge vanity. Laundry on every floor, big pool, and a free full size breakfast every day. (with chocolate chip mickey mouse waffles - my favorite!)
It was all so perfect - except for the witches of eastwick we had to bring along.:witch:

BronxTigger
06-18-2007, 10:22 PM
Wow. I'm sad that your trip didn't go as planned due to the poor behavior. Thanks for writing the report so far, I am looking forward to reading more. :thumbsup:

DisneyKim22
06-18-2007, 10:44 PM
Bratmaster - I also live in Bolingbrook, and cannot imagine the drive with three kids! Bless you for having the patience to do so.

We're going in Nov with my 2 nephews and neice (as well as the rest of the family). DH and I aren't even flying on the same plane with them for fear of what may happen! :secret:
(New to Bolingbrook - Howdy neighbor!)

Dizneyfan
06-18-2007, 11:57 PM
Bratmaster,
I know exactly what you are talking about. I have two children. My DD is 6 and my DS is 4. We went to Disney in February. We drove from Louisiana. I guess the trip would have been okay with our two children. But....there were 6 other children within our group. Talk about nerve racking!!!! :fit:The kids did okay but could have done a little better. So therefore I've been in your shoes. Can't wait to hear about the rest of your trip.

HndrdPrcnt
06-19-2007, 12:18 AM
The kids....ah....they can add such a challenge to a trip. However, they can also be the greatest blessing that God has ever given us.

Lizzie
06-19-2007, 01:07 AM
Sorry about the problems. Looking forward to hear your reports.

Mickey'sGirl
06-19-2007, 08:56 AM
I have been waiting to read your reports! I am sorry that you encoutered some personality issues..... but I am looking forward to hearing about your trip! (BTW -- I also prefer driving for the same reasons as you .... it is far less hectic). :mickey:

faline
06-19-2007, 11:00 AM
I'm glad you arrived safe and sound despite any meltdowns occuring inside the car!

offwego
06-19-2007, 01:40 PM
I'm glad you enjoyed your choice of hotel. It's important for people to read about other options as we do (myself included) tend to focus on the options inside the wdw area quite a bit.

thanks for sharing with us!!

January-2007
06-19-2007, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the trip report.

Pocahontas
06-19-2007, 04:58 PM
This took me back to car trips with me and my brother making sure my parents didn't have a quiet peaceful trip. I wonder if that is one of the main reasons I have only one child.

Looking forward to reading about the rest of your trip.

tyandskyesmom
06-20-2007, 03:45 PM
We have driven a few times (pretty much the same as you...in fact I am working now in Bolingbrook!) and we much prefer to fly.

I am lookin gforwad to reading on...

Bethis26fan
06-23-2007, 11:18 PM
Thanks for sharing.

DizNee143
06-27-2007, 11:41 AM
alrighty well at least most of the ride down was good!!..im sorry your daughters seemed to have turned on you for the trip...i really hope it wasnt all that bad!!..well im off to read all about it now!! :mickey:

dolphinmickey9170
06-28-2007, 10:09 PM
WOW, your kids sound like my DteenDs. I hope things get better.

gauvin4
06-29-2007, 01:48 PM
Thanks for sharing.:mickey:

realtreebar
07-02-2007, 12:37 AM
thanks for sharing !

ChipnDaleGal
07-02-2007, 05:38 AM
That is too bad that your girls did not behave as you would have liked. Must have been a little depressing after all the dreaming and planning that goes into a WDW vacation to have trouble at the beginning. :(

mrsgaribaldi
07-02-2007, 10:57 PM
Sorry to hear about the problem with the kids. On the other hand, the hotel sounds great:blush:

Bethanymouse
07-08-2007, 08:54 PM
Off to a start! Of course the kids are causing a problem- they are disney excited!!! Cant wait to read more!:thumbsup: