PDA

View Full Version : Fort Wilderness--too rustic?

vamaggie
06-18-2007, 03:22 PM
We have never stayed at Ft Wilderness cabins but have been reading a lot about them. My 2 concerns are 1) how "campy" are they? I am one who likes to relax on vacation and camping is not my idea of relaxing and 2) how far is it from the parks and how is the transportation? Anyone who has stayed at them--would love some input. Thanks!

TammiMcMan
06-18-2007, 03:56 PM
Well, I'd have to say that it's more like staying in an upscale log cabin, as opposed to a summer camp cabin. The furnishings are very nice, you get daily housekeeping (they even fill the dishwasher), indoor plumbing :D, television, etc. It's almost like more of a home rental, than anything else.

You can take the boat over to the MK, or take bus service anywhere else on property. There are internal buses throughout the campground, or you can rent a golf cart for your stay. If you are driving or have a rental car, you can keep it right outside your cabin door and drive to the parks if you want. There are night time movies, campfires, sing alongs, hayrides, you can watch the fireworks and the electric water parade from the beach.

I find the area very relaxing, because your room doesn't connect to anyone else, so noise is less of an issue. Walking around and seeing all the woodland creatures is a far cry from a busy Main Street in the MK. It's definitely worth looking into a bit more... I wouldn't be scared away from the camping aspect.

Mrs.Mya
06-18-2007, 04:12 PM
Our family loves the FW Cabins. Just yesterday I told my DH that we could stay at the Poly for just a little bit more, and he said no thanks, he still would rather stay in cabins.:D Furnishings are very nice, bathroom is comfortable size, kitchen is great, love the area outside, atmosphere on the grounds of FW is just perfect. I would also agree that since the cabins aren't connected like other rooms are, the noise is much less. We love that. So if you are still considering it, I would definitely say give it a try. ;)

ibrowse17
06-18-2007, 04:37 PM
FW is a great place to stay, no matter if you are camping or staying in the cabins. You should really give it a try. Be careful though, you may never want to stay any other place:thumbsup:

JoDisney
06-18-2007, 05:45 PM
Vamaggie, I know what you are talking about. I have stayed at the cabins four times. Now, the cabins are nice and they are rustic, but the transportation, to me, is a pain. I get a golf cart. I did the bus thing in FW the first time and I did not like it. I will not stay there without the cart because we come back late and I want to get in the cart and get to the cabin. Also, the pools are not that convenient. (The pools are ordinary - no slide - nothing special.) Now, if this is a one time trip to Disney, I would not pick FW, unless you need the room for six and need to cook at the cabin. If this is one of many trips, then try it out. I am just not the camp type. I want the resort type. This is my opinion.

vamaggie
06-19-2007, 07:12 AM
Thanks for all the inof. I think we will look into them for a future trip.

DisneyDog
06-21-2007, 03:52 PM
The transportation is a pain. Rent a car if you can. However, I think the cabins themselves are incredible. The kitchen is nicer than my kitchen at home -- I don't have Corian countertops in my kitchen:blush: It was nice to have a full size fridge, too. There are 2 tvs in the cabin, one in the living room and one in the bedroom. I also felt that the bathroom was larger than any I'd ever had in any other resort, and they gave us tons and tons of towels, which was great. It's very quiet back there. I slept quite well, and it was nice to have my DS in a separate room. We slept in the living room on the sofa bed, and DS slept in the bedroom. We could watch tv at night after he was asleep and didn't have to worry about keeping him awake.

CU Tiger
06-21-2007, 10:16 PM
FW Cabins are not too rustic. We feel these are the best-kept secret at DW :thumbsup: and have stayed there our last five visits. We have always rented a golf cart to speed up our movement within FW, but the transportation to the parks are as easy, if not easier than the other resorts. The boats to WDW are fun and come very often. The buses go to every park and the only stop you may have is at Wilderness lodge. :mickey: