PDA

View Full Version : The First Ever Father's Day Family Vacation (Day 1)

JENNEB
06-18-2007, 11:59 AM
Our Cast of Adventurers includes

Me (JenneB) 31, Disney fan and trip planner
Dad (Tom) - Disneyland fan
Mom (Sally)- Willing participant
DB1 (KB) 25 - Closet Disney Fan
SIL (Lauren) 23
DB2 (Scott) 25- Ride fan and total adventurer
Sarah (DB2 GF) 25 - Total trooper and willing adventurer.

When we last left our little band of we were getting ready to leave for Dallas. Little did we know what lay in store for us before we even left the state.

To begin - Mom and I decided to share a suitcase, since we were sharing a room and thought it would be easier than trying to fit 2 medium suitcases into the car. The orginal plan was for Mom and Dad to leave from Mom's work around 4:30. DB2, Sarah and I were to leave from our house at 3:30 after Sarah and I got off work. DB2's a teacher and hasn't had to work for a couple of weeks, so he was in charge of packing the car. In reality, DB2, Sarah and I didn't leave until almost five, and mom and Dad left around 4:00. It's a three hour drive to Dallas, where we met up with DB1 and SIL. Upon arrival at DB1's house, Mom realizes Dad packed up the wrong blue suitcase. The two of us were without clothes and shoes. Thankfully we had both packed overnight bags with out essentials. Dad offered to buy us new cloths for the trip, since it would have been 6 hours round trip to pick up the bag and it was already 8:30 and out flight out the next morning was a 7:25. A mad dash was made to the store and we picked out just enough to get us through the trip. Sadly for me, my trainers were in the luggage, and I had to get new ones. This would become a painful problem over the course of our trip.

We all woke up at 4:30 the next morning, and made our way to the flight, which was uneventful, then on to Disney's Magical Express to Port Orleans- Riverside. This was the first time I have stayed there, and it was beautiful. I would stay there again in a heartbeat. We were in Magnolia Terrace, very close to the bus stop. Checked in, and with rooms ready, we dropped off our carry ons ,Mom confiscated our cell phones, and headed to Animal Kingdom.

We arrived at AK about 1:30, and so did the clouds. It was overcast, but none of us were too concerned,even with the dark cloud looming over Everest. After grabbing a quick lunch at Flame Tree BBQ - Mom decided this was one of her favorite meals of the trip (we split a 1/2 chicken plate - it was more than enough for the 2 of us) we headed towards Everest. All the fast passes were gone for the day, and the line was about 90 minutes standby - so we headed for the Maharaja Jungle Trek so DB2 could see the tigers. I took some really good shots of the animals, and tried to stay as far from SIL as I could. She was already complaining about who would go to a theme park to look at animals. Sarah and I chose to ignore it. We did that a lot over the next 4 days. Once out of the jungle Trek, we headed back to Everest, and since the wait had gone down to 45 minutes, decided to go standby. I like Everest, but it all of us had a headache after getting off. From there we went to Dinosaur, then to Primeval Whirl - where the heavens opened up just as we pulled out of the loading dock. Unable to get out we got drenched. It was fun and scary at the same time, since the water made us slip around the seats even more. After the downpour ceased we headed back to the hotel.

Thankfully ME had delivered our bags,so dry clothes were forthcoming, and changed we headed back out. Our plan was to head to MGM but we jumped on the Epcot bus after waiting for what felt like forever. Everyone wanted to ride Soarin' but it too was out of fastpasses and the standby line was 120 minutes, so we headed to SSE then to Mission:Space. DB1, DB2 and I took the orange card, while the other opted for the green card. When the 3 of us are together we are really big dorks, so we played along with the ride, flipping switches, pushing buttons and yelling at each other as we flew. Thank goodness it was just the three of us, since others might have been scared away. After we met up with the other, Mom and Dad raved about the ride. This was Mom's new favorite ride - but we never convinced her to try the orange card even after riding it another 3 times over the course of the trip. From Mission:space we headed to The Living Seas. This was the first time I'd been with the Nemo Overlay and I loved it. That song gets stuck in your head.
By the time we were done looking at the fish and dolphins, Mom, Dad and I were ready to head back to get some sleep. DB1, DB2, SILand Sarah headed to MK to get in a few rides.

In our next installment - MK and Space Mountain. Le Cellier and Tracey our wonderful CM, Illuminations and Soarin'.

faline
06-18-2007, 12:04 PM
I've neglected to bring some things one trips from time to time but never my clothes! Glad you were able to get enough to get by with!

Sounds like a good start to your trip even with the drenching on Primieval Whirl!

iheartmickey
06-18-2007, 02:16 PM
Despite some set backs it sounds like you made the most of you day! You got a LOT done for the first day. Sounds like lots of fun too! :thumbsup:

pdrlkr
06-18-2007, 07:18 PM
Thanks for the report! :smickey:

mttafire
06-18-2007, 08:52 PM
I've neglected to bring some things one trips from time to time but never my clothes! Glad you were able to get enough to get by with!

Sounds like a good start to your trip even with the drenching on Primieval Whirl!

Yep..Good job on the lack of clothes situation. That had to be a bummer..:blush:

Bethanymouse
06-19-2007, 07:07 AM
Good thing you were able to find what you needed at the store! I am so happy that your first day was fun! I cant wait to take a look at those tigers, it is on our list of things to do on our August trip. There are a lot of hidden treasures in AK. Thanks so much for sharing, I cant wait to read more!:D

January-2007
06-19-2007, 05:42 PM
Mom confiscated our cell phones...

That's so funny! Thanks for the trip report! :thumbsup:

Lizzie
06-19-2007, 08:17 PM
Kind of a crazy start.