PDA

View Full Version : Disney FAmily's summer trip Dining Review

disneyfamily05
06-17-2007, 10:57 PM
Here is our dining reviews - at least the Table Service places with mentions of CS & snacks at the end. Yes we were on the dining plan which i still think is great - although i haven't totaled everything up to see how much/if we were ahead price wise (and we actually had so much food that we didn't use 4 CS meals). Please keep in mind that i picked our food places based on the places that would be good for DD who is 4 and DS who is 6 - so if you are looking for adult oriented reviews - this probably isn't the review you want to read. So here we go!

Best food :number1::
Le Cellier - (lunch) - I have heard more good reviews about this place than bad - but have heard some say its just as good as any other steak place outside of World so i wasn't too sure what to expect. I have to say my steak (5 oz filet) was excellent - cooked perfectly, my mom said her steak (new york strip) and the seared rare tuna was great. We got the Chocolate Moose and Creme Brulee for dessert and both were excellent. We had more than enough food and were stuffed when we left (we even took the fruit dessert from the kids menu to go b/c they were stuffed too). The atmosphere was nice and cool after a hot morning in Epcot, service was great.

Most fun :dance::
Playhouse Disney's Character (Lunch) at Hollywood & Vine:
We have eaten at H&V before and found it to be ok (certainly not bad - but not the best food in the world either). This time was much more entertaining with the characters (food is still ok - but they do have a pretty good dessert selection). What we really came here for was the characters - DD (4) loves the Little Einsteins so I figured this was the place to be. I was fearful that DS who is 6 would think this was too "babyish" but he loved it just as much as she did. When we first got there Leo happened to be standing next to our table and they were already in the middle of singing - so Leo grabbed (gently) DS and got him involved immediately - DD was a little shy so he slowly made his way over to her and then got her up and moving. We met with and danced ( ok just DS & DD danced) Leo & June from the Little Einsteins, and JoJo & Goliath. Freddy (a CM) who was sort of the MC got everyone up and moving all the time - and then also managed to get the kids back into their seats when they were done. The characters got around fairly quickly and the songs they sang were from Playhouse Disney so a lot of the kids knew almost all of them without needing much instruction. This was the best character meal interaction we had this trip (yes better than Crystal Palace which i know is a favorite of a lot of people).

Other TS places: Now keep in mind these were not bad - as a matter of fact they were just fine - just didn't impress us as much as they two above.

Princess Akershus Banquet Hall in Norway (DINNER)- Personally i like the food here - i know a lot of people don't. We had eaten here before the last trip and i decided to do it again b/c its less hassle (IMO) to get this princess dinner than a princess meal at the Castle - and i like the cold buffett in the beginning and the hot meal you can order. Anything we have eaten (from the cold buffet or ordered) has always been cooked very well and delicious (both times i have gotten the poached cod w/ the horseradish mashed potatoes which are great). The interaction was good (seemed like they didn't stop as long this time) and we met with Belle in the front (photo is taken and then sold later at dinner), Ariel (with her legs), Sleeping Beauty, Snow White, and Cinderella. I would stress that people look at the menu though before they go for dinner - i know the lady next to us kept complaining to the server very loudly that "you don't have anything i like!" and the poor server was doing her best to help explain the menu a little more - not sure what she wanted the server to do. As a matter of fact the server looked so helpless i felt bad for her as she was doing her best - i almost told the lady if you don't see anything you like then leave or don't eat as they were turning people away at the door who were trying to walk-in.

MaMa Melrose - (Fantasmic Dinner) - The food here was good (although must not be very memorable as i really can't recall what i had to eat). We were seated very quickly - although it is a little hard to find - it sort of blends in with all of the other "sets" (plus read my trip report regarding my lack of a map). Service was a little slow although i think he did the best he could we arrived and were seated at 6:23 and didn't leave until 8:00.

Liberty Tree Tavern (DINNER) - The one major complaint i have is that it is very difficult in the lobby to hear your name being called. There are dining rooms on both sides of the waiting area which is where the noise is coming from, so you can see the CMs mouths moving but barely hear - so sit as close to them as you can. The food here was good - especially the turkey and the kids loved the green beans. The interaction was pretty good. Only negative was the services was only sub-par. Once we were seated we only saw our server maybe one or two more times - as a matter of fact none of us got a refill on our drinks b/c wouldn't couldn't seem to catch her. We were very stuffed when we left - we even passed on the dessert.

Crystal Palace (BREAKFAST) - I am going to admit straight off that bat (don't hate me) that i expected a little bit more from this place after hearing some of the reviews. The food was ok - the interaction was pretty good - as was the service - i just didn't get much excitment from it all. I think i may have been expecting a bit much (seeing the Castle outside, knowing you're in the Magic Kingdom - i think i wanted it to be perfect). Biggest problems were the lines: 1. to get in , we had an 8:10am ADR - they didn't open the doors to anyone at all until at least 8:15am and there were quite a few people waiting there before us; and 2. the lines for the buffett were very long - but that could be b/c everyone was let in at once (but please see "trip report final thoughts" for my conclusion on how to best avoid the food lines here). And we were done with our breakfast and still waiting for one or two characters to come around which can be difficult with two little kids who want to go on the rides. But I do not want to discourage anyone from going either - honestly we would do it again, if only to get into the Magic Kingdom before the park opens b/c the Main Street, the castle, and the partners statue are all great with few people around.

The Counter Services Places we ate included: Flame Tree BBQ (i missed my beloved Tusker House meal)
POFQ's Sassagoula Floatworks and Food Factory (3 times - one breakfast; 2 lunch/dinners) everything was pretty good and i never saw it too crowded -may have been our timing, but standing in different lines for
different food got a little tiresome.
DTD Wolfgang Puck Express - food was great with huge portions but the wait to order was very long - they do bring your food out to you once you sit down and even refill your drinks and wait for the food itself wasn't very long

Snacks:
LOTS of water; sweet cream cheese pretzels from The Launching Pad (yum!); Dole Floats several times (if you like pineapple you will love them) and they are very refreshing on a hot day; used most of our snack credits at Goofy's Candy in DTD and in the gift shop for snacks on the way home.

We also had ice cream (for lunch :blush:) from Ghirardelli's in DTD and i can still imagine the mint chocolate chip ice cream sundae with dark hot chocolate fudge - YUM.

hope this info helps anyone out there looking for some reviews. Happy eating!

DSNYMOM4JJ
06-17-2007, 11:13 PM
I think your dining review was awesome...thanks so much for all your info. My family is having a magical gathering event in October so any news and reviews about dining is much appreciated :)

Good Job and I bet you can't wait to go back!!!:thumbsup:Kristine

Lizzie
06-18-2007, 12:02 AM
Thanks for your dinning review.

maizey05
06-18-2007, 01:44 AM
Thanks a lot for making me super hungry for a mint choc chip/ hot fudge sundae!!!

dephenn
06-18-2007, 08:33 AM
Thanks for the info on H&V.
I also agree on passing the Cinderella Castle if your on the Dining plan didn't find it worth the 2 table service meals you get charged. I would recommend the Cinderella dinner at 1900 Park Fare at the Grand Floridian instead. It's Buffet style, so anyone can find something to eat and the food is really good and the waiter we had was more than friendly and helpful with hints to make our stay even more enjoyable. I would also pass on the Hoop-De-Doo Review. Although, the food was good and entertainment fun, I didn't think it was worth 2 table service meals and it's out of the way so you lose alot of time in the parks, also the show is probably more for adults at least the humor. I would also recommend Chef Mickey's at the Contemporary again buffet style. Although not a Charactor dinner Olivia's at Old Key West was really good. Would not reccommend Mama Melrose's. We had reservations for 6:00pm and got there a half hour early and were not seated until 6:45pm and the waite staff was nothing to write home about and I've had Italian food of equal quality at plenty of other resteraunts. I would also recommend Goofy's Libertate your appetite, The Crystal Palace for dinner. Have never spent a meal on breakfast just not a big breakfast person and not sure I could justify spending $40.00 (the cost of a dinner off the plan) on bagels and muffins, but if you're a big breakfast eater then I would deffinately do it, and with the tip on the getting in early that could change my mind. And sorry to hear you had to listen to that rude fool complain about the menu choices. I've eaten there also and although I wasn't crazy about the choices I was able to fill up from the cold buffet and even ordered from the kids menu and got the Raviolis and the waitress was outstanding and friendly. Again thanks for your tip on H&F and glad to hear your expirience at MaMa Melroses was better then mine. Enjoy your next trip and if anyone is planning you first trip call and make you reservations early. I like to eat at the first serving usually 5:00pm for dinner get a half hour early and your seated fast and plan dinner at or near the park that has majic late hours and you can stay late. Oh I found the Electric Umbrella at epcot to be a good counter meal, Cosmic Rays but like you said to many lines to get everyone what they want, and the Garden Cafe at Epcot next to Soarin good healthy food, but again kinda to spread out.