PDA

View Full Version : Senior Friendly and (not) Attractions

thejens
06-17-2007, 09:08 PM
I am planning a trip for senior citizens (75-85 years) in November. Are any attractions better or worse in terms of loading and unloading, interest level, terrain or sight issues etc.? For example I was thinking the TTA would be a great ride, but then I think there is a moving entry and dismount ?? I'd be interested in how older, but active folks have found these types of challenges.

BritCody
06-18-2007, 07:19 AM
My Dkids and I vacation with my parents and they are both in their late 70's and they both use a cane to assist them in walking. My father is a bit more of a daredevil compared to my mother, he will ride practically everything even Expedition Everest (even after I suggested he didn't). My mother will not ride the thrill rides. But I feel that for their age they do ride more than most. Like you said about the TTA there is a moving entry and dismount. Well, both of my parents rode that and my kids and me assisted them getting on all of those type rides. The trick is to let them get on first. That way you can help them on and then you will exit first and you can assist them off. The only ride we had trouble getting off before the end of the moving walkway was HM. I think my mother was day dreaming or something, but they rode that Buzz Light-year, Winnie the Pooh, Snow White, Peter Pan, Space Ship Earth All with the moving walkway and we did the same thing every time. Put them on first then we jumped on. Then getting off we get off first and assist them. You will have to be quick to allow them the extra time of getting off before the end of the walkway. Now on rides that don't have a walkway that you have to climb into like POTC, Small World and Splash Mountain (for my father). My kids and I would step into the boat or log first and help them down into the ride and then getting off We would jump out first and assist them getting out. It might take you them longer than most to get on a ride, but they are there to enjoy themselves also and the CM's are not going to start without them, most of them are pretty patient and will assist if need be.
The big thing for you will be knowing your parents limitations and having patience in assisting them on and off rides. It can be a difficult, but I look at all my parents have done for me and my children and how they used to help me as a toddler and my kids as toddlers on and off rides and it makes you really feel good to help you parents and see your parents having fun at the park.

Catwillow
06-18-2007, 07:32 AM
From what I have seen and understand all the moving entry rides can be slowed OR stopped to assist passengers in getting off and on the ride. When I had both knees replaced and was visiting WDW 3 1/2 months later they had no problems stopping the rides to let me on. They even gave a hand if needed to get in and out of the ride. The only ride I really had a tough time getting in and out of was Space Mountain and that was because my knees weren't quite bendable enough but I did it... Just let the CM's know what you are concerned about and they will assist you if they can.

Kathleen

crazypoohbear
06-18-2007, 08:07 AM
I believe they do stop or slow WAY down the moving entry rides.
Pirates
Jungle cruise
It's a small world
TTA
Buzz
River boat
Carousel
Dumbo :blush:
Train
Peter pan
Snow white
Carousel of progress (like watching a home move ;))
Hall of presidents

thejens
06-18-2007, 08:32 PM
Wow, that is all great information thanks!!! I appreciate any other input.